Glitter & Gold

Black Fruit Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Clove, Gold Sugar Balls, Lemon Peel, Sugar Crystals, Vanilla
Caramel, Clove, Lemon, Malt, Sweet, Vanilla, Astringent, Floral, Sugar, Cinnamon, Citrus, Spicy, Chocolate, Orange, Cloves
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Twinkle, twinkle

This deep dark Chinese tea is like a gorgeous starry night, glimmering with gold and silver sugar crystals that shimmer as they steep. Take a sip and the slow suggestion of cinnamon will warm your body. Your toes will tingle and your mind will turn to fireworks, falling stars, late-night seduction. It’s basically magic. (Is it getting hot in here, or is it just the tea?)

Ingredients: Chinese black tea, sugar crystals, gold sugar balls, vanilla, orange peel, cloves, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Gelatin

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was one of my first teas from DAVIDs, years ago. My roommate brought this home along with Swampwater and Jessie’s Tea. I remember it being pretty and tasty, so along with a good bit of nostalgia, I picked it up again.

It is so pretty, with the metallic candy balls in the dry leaf, and then with a gold shimmer to the steeped liquor. At four minutes it was a bit weak. After it had cooled a bit, I steeped for an additional minute, and then a third of the way through the cup, for another minute.

It also tastes quite nice – lots of clove, lemon and spice, with some cinnamon notes, and sweetness. The clove endures on the finish, along with a touch of a floral. The nose is a bit fuller and more tempting than the palette, but all in all this is a nice one.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Citrus, Clove, Lemon, Spicy, Sweet

This is a very popular tea from Davids that I have sampled in store but never purchased. My youngest brother recently got me some on a trip to Toronto with his mother and our brother though, so here I sit with a beautiful gift of tea. The clove smell is strong initially, and (for me) a bit off-putting but I have decided to think of it like a chai, which then makes it smell pretty good. I am interested by the idea of an (unnamed) Chinese black base as Chinese blacks are my favourite, and tend to be less bitter so this could be a nice spicy black for me. I used to love chai teas, but they tend to have strong bitter bases that I don’t enjoy, so this is something different.

As many others have noted, there are little candy balls in the tea which impart some sweetness and also an interesting look. It feels like a party! I steeped it for three minutes in 96 degree water (exactly!) in my perfect tea mug. The result is a rich amber cup of tea, that reminds me strongly of chai. The clove smell seems cinnamon-y to my nose, and the sweetness from the sugar crystals and the little balls contributes to the chai trick. I also get a smell like chocolate, maybe baking chocolate in something with a spicy kick. I don’t often encounter cinnamon and chocolate together, but this is what my brain believes.

First sips are pleasant. Still getting chocolate (what’s up with that?) and also some distinct sweetness and a cinnamon sort of taste at the end of the sip which must be cloves. The aftertaste is sweet and spicy. Where is the chocolate coming from!? I don’t get any bitterness (big thumbs up!) and the spice builds with each sip. After a few, I have a slight tingle at the back of the throat that I presume will remain throughout the cup. I gotta say, I like it. Hot, at least. We’ll see if it is as appealing at cooler temps.

The sugar in it doesn’t seem to have released too much sweet. I haven’t dug through the used leaves to see if the little balls stayed intact but I assume they didn’t dissolve completely. Maybe they would with agitation but I don’t tend to like my tea sweetened and wouldn’t want any more than this. I remember that there is some citrus peel in here, but I don’t notice it. i am sure it is doing something, it’s just doing it quietly. Fine by me!

EDIT: Man, did I misunderstand this tea! I have been drinking this slowly and the remains are room temperature (and surprisingly good!) BUT, I gave it a little shake AND THE TEA IS GLITTERY. That is what they mean. The little balls give off their tantalizing glitter INTO THE TEA. I feel like it A-Can’t be healthy and B-Is AWESOME. I am so happy about this. What a lovely surprise for a cynical (mostly) unflavoured tea drinker

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Clove, Sugar, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
Nicole

Isn’t it pretty? :)

Marzipan

Sparkle pony tea!

SPARKLEPONY!!! After giggling my head off at Marzipan ‘s nickname for this tea, I was pleased to find a sample of it in my swap with VariaTEA and didn’t waste much time throwing it in an infuser.

It really is a sparklepony. Wow. Look at that glitter! Worth it for the novelty alone! Though the tea itself is pretty delicious. Very warm-tasting. I had it warm all on its own and just enjoyed watching the sparkles as I drank.

The rest of my sample is cold brewing in the fridge as I type; I’ll most likely take it to work tomorrow! Those sparkles don’t waste any time, though. As soon as the cold water hit the teapot, BLAM! GLITTER EVERYWHERE! So cool.

Sarsonator

Love this tea! Love the name! LOL

Marzipan

They should totally rename it Sparklepony.

This is one of my go to favorites. The smell and taste go hand in hand unlike some of the other Davids Teas I have had. The warm cinnamon and creamy vanilla hit you first and then there is a nice orange after note all in the company of a smooth black tea. The added sugar crystals and balls make it just sweet enough to not add sweetener without making it overly sweet in any way. The sparkles are just flat out fun. Love this tea!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange, Vanilla

I was not a huge fan of this one. I found it trying to accompany too many flavors. The cinnamon and clove are noticeable but other flavors like the vanilla really just fall flat. It has cool sugary pearls in it though, which earns it aesthetic points. I think if you want a smooth dessert tea, this really isn’t the way to go.

Iced

sniff It’s my last cup of Glitter and Gold. But on a positive note, I made it in my new mug that I got for tea while traveling and staying in hotels. I have a vacation coming up and I will be taking a rolling briefcase full of tea and an electric kettle. We need our tea. I really love this tea. It reminds me of Christmas, with its blend of spices. It’s also super photogenic. I like this one with or without honey. (my sweetener of choice as it helps with the allergies) I will definitely buy this again. Ok, I’m done rambling now.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves

I was slightly leery of this one because it smells SO strongly of cloves, and spices are just not my cup of . . yikes, that phrase sounds weird when used literally. Anyway, leeriness unnecessary because this really is a beautifully balanced tea. The clove isn’t strong at all, it just gives the tea a rich, almost chocolatey taste, with the orange peel, vanilla, and cinnamon all melding nicely. Reading the ingredients list, it sort of sounds like Bigelow’s Constant Comment blend, but actually this tea tastes nothing like that over-spiced nightmare.

On another note (and maybe the name Glitter & Gold should have cued me in) this tea actually sparkles? Like the brew is full of these little glitter specks, I guess from the dissolved gold sugar balls. I have a hard time believing this is healthy, but still, high marks, Davids, for presentation. You nailed the magical fairy potion look.

My absolute favorite tea from David’s Tea. First off the glitter – the small sprinkles literally make the tea sparkle and who doesn’t love that? The flavor – orange, cinnamon, and cloves.. Basically pure yumminess!

Recently got this as a sample from my online order. Well, I don’t know. The tea is beautiful, and it smells lovely. But I didn’t get much taste from this. It’s listed as a “chai” on the DAVIDsTEA website, but this really has no spice to it, in my opinion. I definitely wouldn’t consider it a chai. I suppose people who aren’t huge fans of spice would enjoy it though.

Another thing that turned me off was the list of ingredients… definitely not a healthy tea, either!

EDIT: I steeped the rest of my sample with some of my Organic Pure Chai, and wow… it tastes divine as I’m sipping on it right now! Perhaps before I may have just not steeped it long enough, or maybe the extra pure chai gave it the boost I needed. Either way, I suppose I’ll up the rating a bit :)

I don’t generally like cinnamon teas. Usually they are wayy overpowering and too much for me. But this one has just the right amount of cinnamon for me. It’s such a soft and delicate flavor. I never thought I’d like something like this, but man…David’s Tea…proving me wrong time and time again xD Now I wanna get back to work so I can finally put in a big David’s Tea order-thanks, Virginia for all these awesome samples!
I’m gonna end up spending so much money there. XD