Glitter & Gold

Black Fruit Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Clove, Gold Sugar Balls, Lemon Peel, Sugar Crystals, Vanilla
Clove, Lemon Zest, Spices, Butter, Cinnamon, Citrusy, Citrus, Nutty, Spicy, Sugar, Vanilla, Cloves, Tea, Caramel, Creamy, Milk, Smooth, Sweet, Orange, Smoke, Lemon, Malt, Astringent, Floral, Chocolate
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Twinkle, twinkle

This deep dark Chinese tea is like a gorgeous starry night, glimmering with gold and silver sugar crystals that shimmer as they steep. Take a sip and the slow suggestion of cinnamon will warm your body. Your toes will tingle and your mind will turn to fireworks, falling stars, late-night seduction. It’s basically magic. (Is it getting hot in here, or is it just the tea?)

Ingredients: Chinese black tea, sugar crystals, gold sugar balls, vanilla, orange peel, cloves, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Gelatin

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I don’t generally like cinnamon teas. Usually they are wayy overpowering and too much for me. But this one has just the right amount of cinnamon for me. It’s such a soft and delicate flavor. I never thought I’d like something like this, but man…David’s Tea…proving me wrong time and time again xD Now I wanna get back to work so I can finally put in a big David’s Tea order-thanks, Virginia for all these awesome samples!
I’m gonna end up spending so much money there. XD

Another tea from David’s Tea that gets major points for presentation but falls flat in the taste department. All those little shiny gold things melt into the tea so your tea is all sparkly! Fun! Tastewise, however, it tastes almost exactly like Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset but muted and kind of watered down. If I hadn’t had the H&S version before, I probably would have liked this much better but it’s too subtle for my taste and I NEVER say that about cinnamon teas…most of the time I complain that the cinnamon drowns everything else out. With this tea though, the cinnamon is tamer, which I like, but all the other flavors are just as muted and still don’t get to shine through. It’s a big sparkly cup of meh.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Marzipan

So interesting, I am having this one now and it’s all butter toffee.

mj

I was just drinking it plain…maybe I should have added sugar? and/or milk?

Marzipan

I add sugar.

When I was a wee tea newbie, this was the first tea that I was absolutely dying to try. Sipping it all down tonight was symbolic of how far I have come, tea-wise. Sparkle pony tea holds a place in my heart but I am pretty much over it, and on to thoroughbreds.

Memily

Sparkle pony tea!!! Hahaha

Stephanie

hehehe :)

Cheri

That’s a good way to describe your tea journey. I feel the same, only I’m still going. Pretty ponies to start, and then to racing 2 year olds. I love those racing horses still, but I’m also developing an appreciation for the Clydesdale….

Had this after reading mj1851 ‘s review that it is mute and watery. I remember thinking it was meh, but I had to try to make it better. I over-leafed, used less water and steeped in boiling water for 5 minutes. The end result is a black tea base that doesn’t really taste like much, with strong notes of orange peel and cinnamon. It is also quite sweet, with some caramel notes. Still watery-ish, but much better, but I have to say I agree with her when she says that the flavours are not anything special.

Not as strong as I’d like for a black tea but it is still very pleasant.

8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m a sucker for pretty things, and this tea is really gorgeous. It contains gold sugar beads and little silver sugar crystals.

Before, during, and after steeping, the smell is awesome. It’s spicy and sweet smelling. I infuse this for around 5 minutes.

The taste is very good, and the spiciness apparent in the aroma comes through nicely. I think this would be excellent as an iced tea, but I have not tried that yet. Since the tea itself contains sugar crystals, it has plenty of sweetness. I wouldn’t suggest adding milk because of the effect described below.

Here’s the best part about this tea: as it steeps, the gold and silver sugar dissolves, and as you look at the tea, you can see tiny little sparkles. Like the title says – it’s glittery! This is probably best served in a dark cup to really get the full effect.

It would be a lovely tea for the holidays, for guests, or when you’re just feeling like you need something beautiful to drink! This one just makes me happy. :)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Saturday Sample Sipdown! I plan to do 8 sipdowns between now and Monday night, and this is the first one.

I really wanted to like this tea because it smells so nice and gentle when dry. However, the brewed taste is really disappointing. I want more orange and sweetness than there actually is. I do like how the tea glitters with gold specks right after you finish steeping. But alas, glitter is not enough. So long!

Next! So I’ve heard tell that some feel that this tea is fairly similar to DT’s Sugar & Spice (Fall 2013 collection) so since I missed out on getting S&S prior to its discontinuation (though now that I look it’s seems like they might still have some left… hmmm…) I thought I would give this a shot.

Dry this tea is very… well if bling-y was a word that’s what this tea would be, visually anyways. Black tea with gold sugar balls and sugar crystals (plus the bits of lemon peel) make for a very eye catching tea. Scent wise the sweet sugar and vanilla are the main notes with some undertones from the cloves and lemon peel to help break things up. I don’t find much from the black tea though.

The slightly murky, orange-brown liquor has a similar scent profile, though the sugar has toned down and instead I get more from the cloves. There’s the odd citrus/lemon note but it’s not very prevalent. As for the flavor… I could sum it up in one “word” (I’m into making things up as I go today!) Meh. The clove melds nicely with the malty notes from the Chinese black base and the vanilla is the icing on the cake of that combo but aside from that it’s very one-note. I’ll get a hit every once and a while from the lemon but it almost comes through (for me anyways) like detergent lemon rather than the bright citrus that it “should” be. And it’s almost too sweet for my tastes, a bit cloying really.

In the end, I’m glad I tried it but I won’t get it again. Oh well, I can’t love them all!

I’ve been wanting to try this tea for the longest time because SPARKLES AHHHH

When I smelled this in store, it definitely smelled like a tea I would not enjoy. I don’t like super spicy teas? And the orange peel was a bit off-putting, but dude. Sparkles. So I just had to get it ahah.

I brewed this like SUPER quickly. Like I only brewed it for about 3 minutes, and it went straight into my Timolino with a dash of agave and I was out the door. I didn’t even have time to taste it on its own! But it ended up okay :) Sad that it was super rushed, but I managed to finish it all and enjoy my time. Definitely going to try this tea sometime this week, and this time it won’t be rushed ahha

In other news, the reason why I was rushed is because my cousins and I were almost late for the movie! It started at 4:05, and I started brewing my tea at like 3:40. 10 minutes to boil water and steep your tea really isn’t enough time. My dad literally rushed to the theater ahha. But we were sat up right at the front, but it was all good since I had my tea with me :)
Divergent is a good movie! I was kinda bitter about it because I broke my book/movie rule. This is the first time in years that I watched a movie first before reading the book. Ahh well, I have the book! I just haven’t found the time to read it :/ The quarter is starting so I’ll read as much as I can before I drown in all my tests and papers.