Read My Lips

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Dark Chocolate, Peppermint, Pink Peppercorn, Sprinkles
Chocolate, Spices, Sweet, Peppermint, Dark Chocolate, Mint, Peppercorn, Cream
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

From DAVIDsTEA

Kiss me, kiss me

Okay, this is probably the world’s best chocolate tea. Honestly. Better than dessert. More reliable than sex. It’s a totally decadent combination of China black tea, vanilla, peppermint, chocolate bits and spicy red peppercorns. Plus it contains little red candy lips for a kiss of sweetness. In other words, it’s a completely satisfying spring experience with no guilt or strings attached.

Ingredients: Chinese black tea, peppermint, dark chocolate (Sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin and vanilla), red lip sprinkles (sugar, rice flour, cottonseed or soybean oil, cornstarch, gum and soy lecithin, colouring), pink peppercorns, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and may contain dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was in my 25 Days of Tea calendar but I never tried it as I am not into mint teas. Or, really, mint anything. I can’t do mint and chocolate candies/cookies, and I dislike peppermint tea.

But then I tried Santa’s Secret and loved it. This smelled great in its mini-tin, so I thought maybe I was changing my ways and should give it a shot.

Unfortunately not. This mostly tastes like peppermint herbal tea to me. I do taste the chocolate, but I guess my strong opinion on peppermint kind of overrides it and I don’t much notice it. I also don’t taste the black tea. Oh well. I’m glad I got to try it without buying a baggie. I don’t know what it was about Santa’s Secret that had me liking the mint; maybe the creamy/candy quality makes it agreeable.

So this is day 19 of the advent calendar. I own this tea, but the last time I had it, I did not enjoy it. Today I steeped it for about two minutes and put some milk in it. The result? It tasted like a hot chocolate. Yummy.

This smells like After Eights’ and is one of DT’s finest works of art a staple for any connoisseur of dessert teas or people who just have good taste!

It’s certainly a staple in my black tea collection.Not an everyday tea but there must always be some in my cupboard or I am heartbroken.

Great for winter and chocolate cravings.

It’s sexy and minty sweet.One sip is all it takes to melt away the blues.

Can’t believe I’ve waited this long to sing it’s sweet praises.

This is, as they say in the description, the best chocolate/desert tea.
It tastes just like after eight chocolates. The perfect blend of chocolate and mint- one of my favorite combos! It just- is great!
Its a very dark warm wintery tea. I have only had it hot and am scared to try it iced as it may not taste good. I have just run out!!!! Yikes- like I said in my last note, I do not usually re-purchase, but I will be with this one. Maybe not right away, I will probably buy it during the winter colder season.

Wowzer, this is perfection in a cup! I woke up this morning and was craving something sweet and I have been saving this tea just for that moment. I opened up the pouch and it smells just like a york peppermint pattie, I love those things! The tea is so pretty and I love the little mint lips, I am such a sucker for unique items in my tea.

After the steep the color was a very nice orangey orange color. The smell was bit more faint and you can smell the black tea after the brew. First sip mmmmmm!

This tea is sweet, the blend of vanilla and mint and hints of chocolate is so good. It really tastes like a peppermint patty, maybe just a bit sweeter but wow what a fatastic dessert tea. I loved how fresh my mouth felt after drinking this tea, just perfect! I will definetely have to buy more of this!

Full disclosure: I probably didn’t put enough tea in, quite a lot of it escaped my steeping ball, and I was distracted, so didn’t get to the tea until it was very much too cold.
BUT:
The smell of this tea is otherworldly. It’s like I’m in a beautiful dream where everything is made of ice cream. There’s the SLIGHTEST black tea tinge to it, but it’s mostly: chocolate, chocolate, chocolate; mint, mint, mint. Not that I’m complaining. This is a lovely situation! The tea itself looks a little weak, and the chocolate chips leave a rather unsightly brown ring around my coffee cup. But, again, it’s not THAT big a deal. It’s the kind of ring I’d stick my tongue into my mug for when nobody was looking, and lick it off. Because you KNOW that it’s chocolate.
I suppose I was whelmed by the flavour. I’d wanted a bit more knock-your-socks-off mintiness. And I could barely taste tea at all.
Milk and sugar as usual.
I’ll try it again when I can focus on it.
I can see this tea being brilliant on Christmas morning (maybe with a splish of some minty alcohol) and in the days leading up to Christmas, but — like Starbucks’ Peppermint Mocha — I can see it getting old once the red and green and gold of Christmas have faded into the blue and white and grey of late winter.
Maybe it would be good as an iced milky summer treat, though. As a milky ice-pop, perhaps?
We’ll see.

heatherwassing

Further to my original tasting notes, I have tried it several times again.
Don’t use straight-up boiling water. It scalds a lot of the flavour out.
Also, each time I’ve enjoyed the tea, but there is an unmistakable cheapness to the aftertaste. Makes your mouth feel like you’ve just woken up. Not something I look forward to…

heatherwassing

Addendum to my addendum: I’ve since had the President’s Choice PC Chocolatey Mint Black Tea and enjoyed Read My Lips quite a bit more. It just seemed real-er…? For chocolate and mint, this is the better tea (PC is delicious too, just this one is better.) But neither of them taste at all like tea.

I admit, I was a little hesitant about this intially — Peppercorns? With chocolate and mint? But I am always willing to try something once!
I actually really enjoy this tea. I find chocolate teas usually fall short of expectation, but this one has a full body flavor with a sweet mint finish. The aroma of the tea leaves seem sweet, but the steeped leaves more accurately reflects the minty flavor. There does seem to be a slight film that collects on the top when the tea begins to cool, but it doesn’t affect the flavor.
Plus the minature lip candies are cute!

I’m resigned to this tea. There’s nothing wrong with it, the blend is balanced, now that I’m over the initial shock I can see what other people like about it. But there is candy in this tea — a LOT of candy — and I’m just not a candy tea person. There’s so much nonsense in this tea that there’s hardly room for the tea leaves, though I guess that’s not a total negative. It’s a black tea that I’m safely drinking at midnight, because not much leaf means not much caffeine.

Flavors: Chocolate

Day 19 of the 24 Days of Tea

It’s a good thing black teas are my favourite, because they’re dominating this calendar

At first sniff: Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Then the peppermint comes in. It smells kind of like the same chocolate as Chocolate Chili Chai. Like the same…. the exact same… minus the mint. The mix is cute with the sprinkles too.

At first steep: I still smell the chocolate, however taste the mint. It is also the last note in my mouth. That cool peppermint taste. I can smell it right now sitting next to me. The chocolate smell is strong. I added some cream and stevia to it, but it’s weak. I even over steeped it on purpose to try and bring out the tea.

I will give a word of advice. If you want to formulate a real opinion on the DT line, get the 24 days of tea made up for you, or go there and get random 10g samples made for you that you have to drink for 24 days straight. It’s really eye-opening how your ideas on a tea company change when you’re constantly drinking different blends of their tea and not the ones you gravitate to.

I picked up a cup of this to go for a friend one day along with some other teas for other friends. When I got into the car, I could smell this mouth watering sweet smell, like melting party mints (those little coloured chocolate mint rosebud things). I had to try this the next time I went in and it’s awesome! It definitely has one of the strongest flavours of all the teas I’ve tasted. My favourite David’s chocolate tea. I usually don’t like mint but I love it in this tea!