Creme Brulee

Rooibos Tea
Barnyard, Caramel, Creamy, Toffee, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “My very first order ever from DAVIDsTEA arrived on my porch this evening! Hooray! This is a creamy, burnt sugar-esqe rooibos dessert tea. There is definitely something artificial about it -...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “This just really isn't spectacular. At least, not for me. I actually have even more of it now because the DT near me was celebrating it's first birthday over the weekend and giving out goody bags...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 698 tasting notes
  • “For some reason I had it in my head that green rooibos would not be as rooibosy as red. This cup is proving that not to be the case. Though it is not immediately recognizable as rooibos it is...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2062 tasting notes
  • “Rummaging through the cupboard this evening I decided to have some of this one. I have a litre of whipping cream in the fridge, and I'm trying to drink a lot of teas I can put it in... I can't make...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1613 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet seduction

No one can resist this organic green rooibos tea. Seriously. The aroma is just too outrageously tempting. Creamy, caramel, decadent, rich. And the taste! How can something so sweet be so light and fresh? Plus, rooibos is caffeine free, making it the perfect drink for after dinner or before bed. Could life be more wonderful? (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Fair Trade Certified green and red rooibos, safflowers, calendula marigold. With natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m not usually a fan of not-black teas but this is seriously tasty. A bit of agave nectar seals the deal! It’s lovely, light, and sweet without being overwhelmingly so. This would be a great before-bed tea! I wish it was a little punchier, but no one’s perfect. =)

Such a sweet tea… I enjoy it every now and then for that quality. It smells heavenly but doesn’t quite taste as it smells. The flavor is not as full as the aroma. I am just finishing my tin and I probably will not buy it again. But I enjoyed it while I had it.

Two steeps worked fine, but I wouldn’t go beyond that.

I had curling the night I made this and I wanted to bring some zest into myself before the game. This entire package smelled like a delectable french bakery and I was in love with the aroma so much I contemplated eating the tea!

I of course, did not and opted instead for a giant mugful. While there was a hint of caramel and custard, it was bland otherwise that got worse as it cooled down. It tasted like sugary water by the end of my curling session and I had completely forgotten I even had the tea until I opened my cupboard to organize it!

It was a forgettable tea, sadly. And there will be no more of it inhabiting my cupboard.

Forgettable. Utterly forgettable. It tastes like the dishwater in a rinsed out ramekin. Just a lingering touch of flavor that once was. Such a tease!

Steeped: 1 tbsp in my 2-cup pot with freshly boiled water.

First Cup: Brewed 5 minutes. Clear.
There’s a sweet, citrusy flavour to this, and a roundness to the taste. Quite enjoyable.

Second cup: Same steep. Brewed approx 10 minutes. Clear.
Pretty much the same as the first cup. Perhaps a bit stronger, but that’s to be expected. I’m definitely enjoying this… and it does have a nice dessert-ish flavour to it. Not the most well-versed in crème brulée, but from what I remember, it may be reminiscent of the real dish.

Third cup: Same steep. Brewed approx 15 minutes. Clear.
Flavour is stronger. I let it cool, but it’s not as nice when it’s not hot.

Fourth cup: Last of the first steep. Brewed 20-30 minutes. Clear.
A little too strong by now. It seems thicker as well, and again cooler. The tea definitely is best hot and brewed a bit less than this.

Fifth cup: Resteep. Brewed 10 minutes. Clear.
Flavour is lighter. Still citrusy, smooth and rounded, and nice. The lingering taste is gone, though. I rather miss it….

Sixth cup: Same resteep. Brewed approx 30 minutes. Clear.
Ok. So, I gave up on the teacup and poured the rest into a larger mug. The teacup just… wasn’t the best way to go for drinking this tea on my own. But oh well. That being said, I think the tea may be best served in a dainty mug, halfway between these two vessels. Something to keep in mind for next time.
As for the tea itself, the resteeped flavour is stronger now, more reminiscent of the first cup. The smooth, creamy aftertaste is back, if still not as strong as it was on the first steep overall. The tea cooled as I drank and again I am reminded that this tea tastes much better hot.

Overall impression: A very nice flavour. I’m surprised by the ingredients in this one — it tastes like it should have something citrusy or creamy or something in it, but it’s just rooibos and flowers. Still, delicious, especially warm. And smelling the dry tea is wonderful as well!

My rating: 84. A-. It would’ve made a straight A if it were as good cooled as it is hot. Still, it’s got a lovely flavour for a dessert tea, making a great and calorie free alternative to the real food.

Tried with a small amount of sugar – quite nice, lightly sweetened on its own, not a heavy tea.

This is one of the few instances in which I really do like the tea more than the dessert. Or rather, my experience with the brûlée part of crème brûlée has been mixed at best, where was this is pure yum. It seems sweet and creamy and with just the right flavour to it to represent the dessert mentioned.
I will note, though, it’s not as good cold. This is a tea that reaches its pinnacle while still hot, so don’t let it sit for too long!

I just had this tea right now, it is FANTASTIC.
Green rooibos, honeybush, oh, so GOOD.
I add a little bit of sugar, and it is sweet with light caramel flavour.
A smooth rooibos taste follows the sweetness, rather light.

Puts me in a great mood:)

It was very smooth and a great after dinner tea.

Smells delicious! we shall see, we shall see!!

Later…

I have to say if I had had some milk to steam this would make the tastiest before bed treat! But without steamed milk this was still a tasty treat. I have not had many Rooibos, so I do not have a lot to base my opinion of this tea on, but it is a beautiful colour and 4 tea spoons infused nicely into an 8 cup botum full of water to make a delight pot of tea to share with my Hubby (a must since he was kind enough to purchase the tea for me)

He enjoyed it although his comment was: “It tastes like tea”, umm thanks for the imput honey! :D