Sencha Ashikubo

Green Tea
Green Tea
Bok Choy, Broth, Earth, Grass, Green Beans, Nutty, Vegetal, Wood, Butter, Honey, Bitter, Fruity, Ocean Breeze
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

A premium sencha
If you’re a lover of Japanese sencha, this rare export is a must. It comes from the stunning Ashikubo valley in Japan, and is dried the traditional way – using wood fires. As a result, it’s milder and less grassy than regular senchas. Admirers point to its characteristic fruitiness and to the hint of toast that comes from the firing process. Most say they can’t go a day without it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So glad I chose to steep this green tea from David’s Tea first.

The aroma is very planty, less grassy and more fruitful, and softer than a green tea would be.

There are various details of fruits among it’s bright planty body, with a soft grounding buttery flavor, the hint of toast most would say.

It is not as strong as a regular straight green tea would be, an almost perfect level of taste, color and aroma.

I had this today as the $1 straight tea promo and I suspect that I let it steep a touch too long because while it was grassy and fresh there was an unfortunate hint of bitterness that I suspect could have been avoided had I removed the teabag a moment sooner. Besides that, this tea was lovely and light, brewing a beautiful pale golden green. I won’t rate it, since I messed up the steeping…

Second steep: Alright, so I saved the leaves for when I could steep them again and am I glad I did! It still has loads of flavour: grassy with the faintest hint of wood-fire, and a creaminess that reminds vaguely me of Quangzhou Milk Oolong. With the bitterness gone maybe I can get another steep…

Nope, no luck. My husband threw away the leaves before I had the chance. Oh well, 2 steeps was well worth the $1 I paid.

I’m admittedly, not a huge japanese tea fan (they’re very finicky to make), but I really enjoyed this, I used the traditional low temperatures and short steepings, and made 3 steepings 30 seconds, 1:00 and 1:30 from 2.8 Grams over approximately 200ml of water. The second steeping was a little too long, and the tea was slightly over steeped, but still very good. I liked it’s nice nutty, smooth notes, but it still maintained a strong sencha/japanese green taste. Highly Recommended.

This was part of a three set of samples I got from DAVIDsTEA. I have never really had a green tea and I was excited to try this in hopes of expanding my palate. Though my hopes were sadly dashed. I thought it was how I steeped it but no matter what I tried, one thing kept coming back…

It smelled like dead grass that had been toasted. It was making my stomach turn. I relented and took a sip and found it abominable. I couldn’t stomach it and the taste lingered. It tasted too much like cut, deceased grass on a hot, muggy summer day. I had to stop and accept defeat. This tea is not for me. Luckily it was a small packet but now I wonder if Green Teas are for me.

If I couldn’t bare this… What about others? At least this tea gave me thoughts to ponder…

I hate rating a tea so low as many people will know its not a bad tea; however it is certainly not one I found palatable either. I got a bunch of the straight green tea’s for my Grandma this Christmas as she is a huge fan of green tea and has never had any of DT’s blends it was a must. I grabbed Dragonwell, Korean Sejak and Sencha Ashikubo. Anyone who has bought Sencha Ashikubo knows its freaking expensive! So I had to sneak a small cup to try out to see if it was worth it. I even brewed it the gung fu method as recommended, but no matter what I did to me it tasted like seaweed or something. Not for me, but I can only imagine for straight Green Tea’s it must be pretty high up on the list.

I was a little worried when first looked at the tea. It was a dark green almost as dark as a black tea. I was afraid that it would have a very strong grassy flavor. But it just had a nice smooth, light green tea flavor. it is worth a try.

Love the buttery undertone on this delicate Japanese green tea. Be careful not to over steep.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve had this tea. I used my frequent steeper points to pick up 50g :)

I’m sorry to say, but this one did not wow me. It did not have the grassy taste of Japanese sencha I like, nor the “buttery” taste it proclaims it has (gyokuro is much better for only a few dollars more). It’s just a mild green tea that is prone to bitterness if too high of a temperature is used. This is supposed to be a premium tea so I feel bad for not finding it better.

Kirkoneill1988

i shall try this tea someday and judge for my self :D

Kristal

Good stuff :)

My significant other got me this tea, and I added it to my pure green tea collection. Let me start off by saying that the taste is almost similar to the Gyokuro Yamishiro Tea. Take a little vegetal taste away and it is much more milder. I enjoy this it is a rich almost creamy vegtable broth. It smells of fresh cut grass and taste like sweet green beans. I really do like the after taste that lingers on the pallet hard to put a exact taste to it, but I’d say somewhere between bok chow or fresh collard greens. Something very deep and rich in green color and it doesn’t disappoint.

Flavors: Bok Choy, Broth, Earth, Grass, Green Beans, Nutty, Vegetal, Wood

This tea did not taste like Japanese Sencha, but is supposed to taste more buttery and less grassy. I liked it the time I had it, but I would not repurchase because of its high price compared to the degree of satisfaction.