Sencha Ashikubo

Green Tea
Bitter, Butter, Fruity, Grass, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “This is the last of the samples from the DAVIDs order I placed a few months ago. Don't tell me it's time to get more... Straight senchas are usually a bit too grassy and vegetal for me. This...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this one in a while so it was a nice treat to steep it this morning. At first something went wrong... The tea brewed to a yellow color (it should brew green) and was much too bitter....” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is good. This is really good. I really cannot stress enough that I do not need more tea. But I have a problem. I always need to keep a comfortable amount of my favourites on hand and I...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes
  • “David's favourite. It's no surprise that David steeps a pot of this beautiful Ashikubo green each morning. With soft notes of fruits and an almost buttery undertone, this is one of the most prized...” Read full tasting note
    DAVIDsTEA 180 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A premium sencha
If you’re a lover of Japanese sencha, this rare export is a must. It comes from the stunning Ashikubo valley in Japan, and is dried the traditional way – using wood fires. As a result, it’s milder and less grassy than regular senchas. Admirers point to its characteristic fruitiness and to the hint of toast that comes from the firing process. Most say they can’t go a day without it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So glad I chose to steep this green tea from David’s Tea first.

The aroma is very planty, less grassy and more fruitful, and softer than a green tea would be.

There are various details of fruits among it’s bright planty body, with a soft grounding buttery flavor, the hint of toast most would say.

It is not as strong as a regular straight green tea would be, an almost perfect level of taste, color and aroma.

I had this today as the $1 straight tea promo and I suspect that I let it steep a touch too long because while it was grassy and fresh there was an unfortunate hint of bitterness that I suspect could have been avoided had I removed the teabag a moment sooner. Besides that, this tea was lovely and light, brewing a beautiful pale golden green. I won’t rate it, since I messed up the steeping…

Second steep: Alright, so I saved the leaves for when I could steep them again and am I glad I did! It still has loads of flavour: grassy with the faintest hint of wood-fire, and a creaminess that reminds vaguely me of Quangzhou Milk Oolong. With the bitterness gone maybe I can get another steep…

Nope, no luck. My husband threw away the leaves before I had the chance. Oh well, 2 steeps was well worth the $1 I paid.

I’m admittedly, not a huge japanese tea fan (they’re very finicky to make), but I really enjoyed this, I used the traditional low temperatures and short steepings, and made 3 steepings 30 seconds, 1:00 and 1:30 from 2.8 Grams over approximately 200ml of water. The second steeping was a little too long, and the tea was slightly over steeped, but still very good. I liked it’s nice nutty, smooth notes, but it still maintained a strong sencha/japanese green taste. Highly Recommended.

This was part of a three set of samples I got from DAVIDsTEA. I have never really had a green tea and I was excited to try this in hopes of expanding my palate. Though my hopes were sadly dashed. I thought it was how I steeped it but no matter what I tried, one thing kept coming back…

It smelled like dead grass that had been toasted. It was making my stomach turn. I relented and took a sip and found it abominable. I couldn’t stomach it and the taste lingered. It tasted too much like cut, deceased grass on a hot, muggy summer day. I had to stop and accept defeat. This tea is not for me. Luckily it was a small packet but now I wonder if Green Teas are for me.

If I couldn’t bare this… What about others? At least this tea gave me thoughts to ponder…

I hate rating a tea so low as many people will know its not a bad tea; however it is certainly not one I found palatable either. I got a bunch of the straight green tea’s for my Grandma this Christmas as she is a huge fan of green tea and has never had any of DT’s blends it was a must. I grabbed Dragonwell, Korean Sejak and Sencha Ashikubo. Anyone who has bought Sencha Ashikubo knows its freaking expensive! So I had to sneak a small cup to try out to see if it was worth it. I even brewed it the gung fu method as recommended, but no matter what I did to me it tasted like seaweed or something. Not for me, but I can only imagine for straight Green Tea’s it must be pretty high up on the list.

I was a little worried when first looked at the tea. It was a dark green almost as dark as a black tea. I was afraid that it would have a very strong grassy flavor. But it just had a nice smooth, light green tea flavor. it is worth a try.

Love the buttery undertone on this delicate Japanese green tea. Be careful not to over steep.

Started my day off with this one. Sweet, creamy and buttery. Yummies. It’s a sipdown, and while good, I don’t think I’ll re-stock it any time soon. Too many other tea’s I want to try.

Kirkoneill1988

sencha is a good tea :)

Interesting. I did a comparison between this and the Japanese Sencha by David, as I bought 10g of each to sample. Both teas were steeped as recommended by the David’s Tea Thermometer – 74C for 2mins 30seconds. I made them at exactly the same time in identical mugs, water from the same pot and all that jazz. Only thing is I forgot to give either of them a rinse!

The Ashikubo’s liquor was a shade darker, slightly murkier. It is very vegetal, kind of bitter, with slight nutty notes, and a lot of astringency (which I hate). I’ve tried it before and felt meh about it.

The Japanese Sencha’s liquor was lighter in color and clearer. Lighter in flavour too but not in a bad way at all – light vegetal base, very slight sweet floral notes (compared to Ashikubo), very smooth with no astringency. Really pleasant to drink. I’m not a green tea person because every one I’ve tried so far is too astringent (besides genmaicha) and I really don’t dig that, but this changes things.

Anyway, final result is – I don’t like the Ashikubo. I wouldn’t freely decide to sit down with a cup of it. If you dislike astringency, like me, this isn’t for you! Go with the Japanese Sencha. Funny how I like the cheaper one….

Edit: Retrying this tea for the millionth time, trying to get it to work and…. its just not happening. Ever. I’ve just been consistently decreasing steep times and temperature and it just doesn’t want to work for me. I even rinsed it then sat it in some cold water for 10 seconds and all I got was bitter, bitter, bitter. I’ve steeped it at 58C for 25 seconds, for chrissakes! And its still bitter! I can taste some butteryness in the background but then the bitterness just coats my mouth and destroys everything. Undrinkable. Is it my water or something? This definitely isn’t a bad batch, I hope, as this is the second time I’ve bought a sample, at a different store many months after the first attempt. Does my water hate green teas? Why?? WHY?

Flavors: Bitter

This is a great tea. The scent makes it seem like it would be slightly bitter but when I taste it the bitterness is so mild it’s almost unnoticeable. It has a sweet, very grassy, vegetal flavour. The aftertaste is fruity – can’t pinpoint what kind of fruit exactly. Perhaps, grapes, or pomegranates. Actually exactly like pomegranate seeds (the white seeds without the actual fleshy red/pink fruit)
The grassy bitter-sweetness increase as it cools so I’d recommend a small cup. I drink each cup in three sips. Strangely enough the light fruity aftertaste of this tea is more enjoyable than the actual sip. Next time I might use less leaves and try it in 160°F to decrease the bitter-sweetness. Perhaps this will grow on me more but as of now it might be too sweet and too vegetal for frequent drinking.

Flavors: Butter, Fruity, Grass, Vegetal