Sencha Ashikubo

Green Tea
Bitter, Butter, Fruity, Grass, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “This is the last of the samples from the DAVIDs order I placed a few months ago. Don't tell me it's time to get more... Straight senchas are usually a bit too grassy and vegetal for me. This...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this one in a while so it was a nice treat to steep it this morning. At first something went wrong... The tea brewed to a yellow color (it should brew green) and was much too bitter....” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is good. This is really good. I really cannot stress enough that I do not need more tea. But I have a problem. I always need to keep a comfortable amount of my favourites on hand and I...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes
  • “David's favourite. It's no surprise that David steeps a pot of this beautiful Ashikubo green each morning. With soft notes of fruits and an almost buttery undertone, this is one of the most prized...” Read full tasting note
    DAVIDsTEA 187 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A premium sencha
If you’re a lover of Japanese sencha, this rare export is a must. It comes from the stunning Ashikubo valley in Japan, and is dried the traditional way – using wood fires. As a result, it’s milder and less grassy than regular senchas. Admirers point to its characteristic fruitiness and to the hint of toast that comes from the firing process. Most say they can’t go a day without it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So glad I chose to steep this green tea from David’s Tea first.

The aroma is very planty, less grassy and more fruitful, and softer than a green tea would be.

There are various details of fruits among it’s bright planty body, with a soft grounding buttery flavor, the hint of toast most would say.

It is not as strong as a regular straight green tea would be, an almost perfect level of taste, color and aroma.

I had this today as the $1 straight tea promo and I suspect that I let it steep a touch too long because while it was grassy and fresh there was an unfortunate hint of bitterness that I suspect could have been avoided had I removed the teabag a moment sooner. Besides that, this tea was lovely and light, brewing a beautiful pale golden green. I won’t rate it, since I messed up the steeping…

Second steep: Alright, so I saved the leaves for when I could steep them again and am I glad I did! It still has loads of flavour: grassy with the faintest hint of wood-fire, and a creaminess that reminds vaguely me of Quangzhou Milk Oolong. With the bitterness gone maybe I can get another steep…

Nope, no luck. My husband threw away the leaves before I had the chance. Oh well, 2 steeps was well worth the $1 I paid.

I’m admittedly, not a huge japanese tea fan (they’re very finicky to make), but I really enjoyed this, I used the traditional low temperatures and short steepings, and made 3 steepings 30 seconds, 1:00 and 1:30 from 2.8 Grams over approximately 200ml of water. The second steeping was a little too long, and the tea was slightly over steeped, but still very good. I liked it’s nice nutty, smooth notes, but it still maintained a strong sencha/japanese green taste. Highly Recommended.

This was part of a three set of samples I got from DAVIDsTEA. I have never really had a green tea and I was excited to try this in hopes of expanding my palate. Though my hopes were sadly dashed. I thought it was how I steeped it but no matter what I tried, one thing kept coming back…

It smelled like dead grass that had been toasted. It was making my stomach turn. I relented and took a sip and found it abominable. I couldn’t stomach it and the taste lingered. It tasted too much like cut, deceased grass on a hot, muggy summer day. I had to stop and accept defeat. This tea is not for me. Luckily it was a small packet but now I wonder if Green Teas are for me.

If I couldn’t bare this… What about others? At least this tea gave me thoughts to ponder…

I hate rating a tea so low as many people will know its not a bad tea; however it is certainly not one I found palatable either. I got a bunch of the straight green tea’s for my Grandma this Christmas as she is a huge fan of green tea and has never had any of DT’s blends it was a must. I grabbed Dragonwell, Korean Sejak and Sencha Ashikubo. Anyone who has bought Sencha Ashikubo knows its freaking expensive! So I had to sneak a small cup to try out to see if it was worth it. I even brewed it the gung fu method as recommended, but no matter what I did to me it tasted like seaweed or something. Not for me, but I can only imagine for straight Green Tea’s it must be pretty high up on the list.

I was a little worried when first looked at the tea. It was a dark green almost as dark as a black tea. I was afraid that it would have a very strong grassy flavor. But it just had a nice smooth, light green tea flavor. it is worth a try.

Love the buttery undertone on this delicate Japanese green tea. Be careful not to over steep.

Day #7 of tea! I’m surprised I liked this one as much as I did – normally straight up greens aren’t, pardon the pun, my cup of tea (sorry, I had to…). But I voluntarily went back for a second mug, and then I read that it’s milder and less grassy-tasting than regular senchas. This blend’s a little pricey to have as a regular in my tea stash, but it will definitely get consideration as a once in a while.

Sipdown! I believe this is a sample from Raritea, although I believe I also have some from Janelle (this may be confirmed later). Thanks whoever it was :)

Anyhow, it’s pretty delicious. Very vegetal and “chewy”, a bit saline and mariney. Quite enjoyable, actually!

Started my day off with this one. Sweet, creamy and buttery. Yummies. It’s a sipdown, and while good, I don’t think I’ll re-stock it any time soon. Too many other tea’s I want to try.

Kirkoneill1988