Sencha Ashikubo

Green Tea
Bitter, Butter, Fruity, Grass, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “This is the last of the samples from the DAVIDs order I placed a few months ago. Don't tell me it's time to get more... Straight senchas are usually a bit too grassy and vegetal for me. This...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this one in a while so it was a nice treat to steep it this morning. At first something went wrong... The tea brewed to a yellow color (it should brew green) and was much too bitter....” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is good. This is really good. I really cannot stress enough that I do not need more tea. But I have a problem. I always need to keep a comfortable amount of my favourites on hand and I...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes
  • “David's favourite. It's no surprise that David steeps a pot of this beautiful Ashikubo green each morning. With soft notes of fruits and an almost buttery undertone, this is one of the most prized...” Read full tasting note
    DAVIDsTEA 187 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A premium sencha
If you’re a lover of Japanese sencha, this rare export is a must. It comes from the stunning Ashikubo valley in Japan, and is dried the traditional way – using wood fires. As a result, it’s milder and less grassy than regular senchas. Admirers point to its characteristic fruitiness and to the hint of toast that comes from the firing process. Most say they can’t go a day without it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Interesting. I did a comparison between this and the Japanese Sencha by David, as I bought 10g of each to sample. Both teas were steeped as recommended by the David’s Tea Thermometer – 74C for 2mins 30seconds. I made them at exactly the same time in identical mugs, water from the same pot and all that jazz. Only thing is I forgot to give either of them a rinse!

The Ashikubo’s liquor was a shade darker, slightly murkier. It is very vegetal, kind of bitter, with slight nutty notes, and a lot of astringency (which I hate). I’ve tried it before and felt meh about it.

The Japanese Sencha’s liquor was lighter in color and clearer. Lighter in flavour too but not in a bad way at all – light vegetal base, very slight sweet floral notes (compared to Ashikubo), very smooth with no astringency. Really pleasant to drink. I’m not a green tea person because every one I’ve tried so far is too astringent (besides genmaicha) and I really don’t dig that, but this changes things.

Anyway, final result is – I don’t like the Ashikubo. I wouldn’t freely decide to sit down with a cup of it. If you dislike astringency, like me, this isn’t for you! Go with the Japanese Sencha. Funny how I like the cheaper one….

Edit: Retrying this tea for the millionth time, trying to get it to work and…. its just not happening. Ever. I’ve just been consistently decreasing steep times and temperature and it just doesn’t want to work for me. I even rinsed it then sat it in some cold water for 10 seconds and all I got was bitter, bitter, bitter. I’ve steeped it at 58C for 25 seconds, for chrissakes! And its still bitter! I can taste some butteryness in the background but then the bitterness just coats my mouth and destroys everything. Undrinkable. Is it my water or something? This definitely isn’t a bad batch, I hope, as this is the second time I’ve bought a sample, at a different store many months after the first attempt. Does my water hate green teas? Why?? WHY?

Flavors: Bitter

This is a great tea. The scent makes it seem like it would be slightly bitter but when I taste it the bitterness is so mild it’s almost unnoticeable. It has a sweet, very grassy, vegetal flavour. The aftertaste is fruity – can’t pinpoint what kind of fruit exactly. Perhaps, grapes, or pomegranates. Actually exactly like pomegranate seeds (the white seeds without the actual fleshy red/pink fruit)
The grassy bitter-sweetness increase as it cools so I’d recommend a small cup. I drink each cup in three sips. Strangely enough the light fruity aftertaste of this tea is more enjoyable than the actual sip. Next time I might use less leaves and try it in 160°F to decrease the bitter-sweetness. Perhaps this will grow on me more but as of now it might be too sweet and too vegetal for frequent drinking.

Flavors: Butter, Fruity, Grass, Vegetal

Pale yellow chartreuse with the cloudy look of a light unrefined olive oil at quick glance. The density of the color well represents the viscosity of the tea which is rich, full and almost buttery.
Vegetal and nutty with a mild astringency that builds to med/high which lingers in the finish becoming more of an annoyance than a pleasure after 8oz+. Mental effects (on first impression) are typical of slight over-extraction, but that’s what you get for ordering a cup of tea at DavidsTea. A proper steeping may yield a slightly better result, but not enough to change my review. A bit clunky in comparison to finer Japanese green teas, but I don’t think subtlety was a goal in its production. Overall it is a solid cup, but lacks the depth and acidity of anything really special.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Oh, I do like this one. Cleanly spinachy and buttery, and very moreish. There’s a subtle note of mild seaweed that makes it taste somewhat oceanic. My first sips brought back some kind of smell/taste memory of sitting in a Japanese restaurant eating udon and vegetable maki. Which is kind of what it tastes like – delicately cooked greens in dashi broth.

I can’t believe how good this tastes almost 10 months after I bought it. Now I’m curious what it’s like when it’s really fresh.

Thanks to the guy at the Bleecker St NYC location for giving me such a generous sample!

Flavors: Butter, Ocean Breeze

First impressions were pleasant and fresh. The dry tea smelled like freshly cut grass with a hint of something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. It took me to a time and a place that resided somewhere in my subconscious memories. The dry leaves were fine and playful, just begging to be steeped for my taste buds to enjoy. I even enjoyed the fine texture as I played my fingers through it, noting its teasing promise of the bliss soon to come.

After steeping, the aroma still had that fresh and pleasant whimsy that tickled my sense of smell. There were promises of being whisked away to a land of fantastical fiction. It was difficult to refrain from my first sip. I was sure to enjoy it. The liquid was a fresh and clear green, and that shade of green is my favourite colour. It reminded me of a fresh meadow and the hydrated leaves looked like they’d just been picked that morning.

Oh, what promises…

Then I savoured the moment as I brought that warm cup of magic closer to its destination. It was sure to impress my taste buds like no other. I relished the scent as the porcelain touched my lips, and, “OH MY GOD!”

This was the worst tea I’ve ever tasted. The bitterness lingered on my tongue for hours afterwards like a coating of unwanted sludge, and my stomach turned and churned as the day continued with dreadful regret.

This is the first tea I’ve tried from David’s Tea that never made it to the bottom of my cup. I’ll admit that I’m not a big ‘green tea’ fan, but I will drink them without complaining. I was even excited to try this cute little sample that accompanied my order. The price suggested it was of high quality. It had to be good!

It wasn’t.

The only guilt I feel for not liking this tea is that I convinced a co-worker to try it with a shorter steeping time to see if it was me. My taste buds could have been off, and I never told her I didn’t like it. All I said was, “Try this… Tell me what you think of it.”

Well, she’s mad at me now. She dumped hers halfway through and thinks I got her to drink it just so I could get rid of it. The nerve!

Anyways, it’s possible I had a bad sample. If not, this is obviously not everyone’s cup of tea.

Smells: vegetal, salty, and even sugary.
Taste: Very interesting-
I was skeptical a tea could taste “buttery” after reading some of the other reviews on this, but it does remind me a little bit of buttered shellfish (in a good way). I’m also getting a mild grassiness, and faint sweetness. I got this in a sample, and will have to buy some more and experiment with different temperatures and steep times. Overall I think this is a winner.

A very delicate green, with floral notes and hints of hay. While the grassiness has been reduced, its still clearly present. Very easy to oversteep, leading to some biterness – be careful. On the whole, while I do like it, I’m not as enamored as some. It’s a strong Japanese green, but not miraculous.

Had a cup of Sencha Ashibuko this evening.

The scent was wonderful. Musky. The “grassy” scent came through as well, but in a pleasant way.

I found the taste to be less appealing, however. I didn’t think I steeped it for too long, but it was already becoming a little bitter. I suppose an even shorter brewing time would be best. Although I finished the cup, I found myself becoming bored of it halfway through. Not a bad tea at all, but not one of my favourites to date.

HHmmm…I guess I am the only one that doesn’t really love this tea. I steeped it according to instructions the first time. It was really grassy and too nutty. I could not stand it.

I tried it again, steeping it at 30s and it tasted a lot better. I’m still on the fence if I like it or not. We’ll see