Sencha Ashikubo

Green Tea
Butter, Ocean Breeze
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This is the last of the samples from the DAVIDs order I placed a few months ago. Don't tell me it's time to get more... Straight senchas are usually a bit too grassy and vegetal for me. This...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this one in a while so it was a nice treat to steep it this morning. At first something went wrong... The tea brewed to a yellow color (it should brew green) and was much too bitter....” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is good. This is really good. I really cannot stress enough that I do not need more tea. But I have a problem. I always need to keep a comfortable amount of my favourites on hand and I...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes
  • “David's favourite. It's no surprise that David steeps a pot of this beautiful Ashikubo green each morning. With soft notes of fruits and an almost buttery undertone, this is one of the most prized...” Read full tasting note
    DAVIDsTEA 165 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A premium sencha
If you’re a lover of Japanese sencha, this rare export is a must. It comes from the stunning Ashikubo valley in Japan, and is dried the traditional way – using wood fires. As a result, it’s milder and less grassy than regular senchas. Admirers point to its characteristic fruitiness and to the hint of toast that comes from the firing process. Most say they can’t go a day without it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Smells: vegetal, salty, and even sugary.
Taste: Very interesting-
I was skeptical a tea could taste “buttery” after reading some of the other reviews on this, but it does remind me a little bit of buttered shellfish (in a good way). I’m also getting a mild grassiness, and faint sweetness. I got this in a sample, and will have to buy some more and experiment with different temperatures and steep times. Overall I think this is a winner.

Very smooth straight green tea. The grassy taste is present but not overwhelming at all. It has a nice toasted flavor and a very mild aftertaste. This is the best green tea I have tried so far.

A very delicate green, with floral notes and hints of hay. While the grassiness has been reduced, its still clearly present. Very easy to oversteep, leading to some biterness – be careful. On the whole, while I do like it, I’m not as enamored as some. It’s a strong Japanese green, but not miraculous.

Had a cup of Sencha Ashibuko this evening.

The scent was wonderful. Musky. The “grassy” scent came through as well, but in a pleasant way.

I found the taste to be less appealing, however. I didn’t think I steeped it for too long, but it was already becoming a little bitter. I suppose an even shorter brewing time would be best. Although I finished the cup, I found myself becoming bored of it halfway through. Not a bad tea at all, but not one of my favourites to date.

HHmmm…I guess I am the only one that doesn’t really love this tea. I steeped it according to instructions the first time. It was really grassy and too nutty. I could not stand it.

I tried it again, steeping it at 30s and it tasted a lot better. I’m still on the fence if I like it or not. We’ll see