Oh Canada!

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Caramel, Green Rooibos, Honey Bush Leaves, Rooibos, Toffee
Maple Syrup, Caramel, Maple, Toffee, Butter, Pancake Syrup, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Vanilla, Marshmallow, Marzipan
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s all about the leaf

Looking for a taste of Canada? Try this red rooibos tea. It’s sweetened with (what else?) maple syrup and sprinkled with delicious maple leaf candies. Plus it’s 100% diplomatic (well, caffeine-free) and tastes great in both our official languages. With green rooibos, honeybush, caramel and toffee bits to shake things up. A truly authentic Canadian experience.

Ingredients: South African green and red rooibos, honeybush, caramel bits, toffee bits, candy leaves, artificial and natural flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and tree nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Thank you Amanda for this sample.
It was the first tea I tried in my new forest mug from DT which is now my favorite mug ever. I already want to buy another one incase something happens to it. Here is a pic of the entire forest set. http://flic.kr/p/d8PVCS

The little leaves are what drew me to this tea. The first time I tried it, I found the maple and rooibos a bit too much for me, so this time, I made a blend using one teaspoon Oh Canada, and one teaspoon black tea. I called it Black Maple and it came out pretty awesome. Perfectly balanced, not too much maple or rooibos, and I was drinking it in the morning so it made a great breakfast tea. I found it to be very warming, so I would much rather enjoy it in cold temperatures. It smells so yummy!

I got this in a swap and there was only enough for a small mug.
The dry notes are deliciously maple scented. As it steeps I can smell maple and rooibos, I feared I would not like this because of the rooibos. And frankly I would jot he Canadian if i couldnt enjoy a tea that is our name sake.
So I’m guessing because its a blend of rooibos and honeybush I actually enjoy this, although I find it way too light. I think this is because of the lack of leaves. I do get a light taste of maple, but that could be from the syrop I added.
Puke Buttered rum I won’t give it a numerical rating until I can use the right amount of leaves.

Finn88

I think I’m crazy…the one time that I made this it smelled like cigars to me lol.

Helena

I never got it smelling like cigars. I had a Kit Kat once that tasted like cigarettes… it was soooo gross!

Finn88

Gross! Ha.

So Allie reminded me I’d forgot about receiving her samples today. (woops! and thank you!)
Pulled this one out since it sounded strange. I’m not usually a maple fan, but I’m noticing a lot of things taste better when just in tea.
Anyway, the smell out of the bag is in your face Maple. No getting around that one.
The Taste, for me, it good. I love the taste of plain rooibos and the maple adds a kick but doesn’t overpower. Not 100% sure I’d order it myself, but I do enjoy it.

jessiwrites

Hah, you don’t need to order it yourself… I sent you some, too. ;)

T.C.

Even better Jessi! :)

Lariel of Lórien

I’ve been eyeing that. Sounds good.

Beginning of sip has bare, slightly bitter and almost salty taste. A taste that I can only describe as the scent from a blown out candle leads into the end of the sip. I’m guessing that this must be the earthiness of the rooibos coming through. Strong, authentic maple syrup flavour near the end of the sip and on the aftertaste. Honeybush is detectable in this brew. It would be nice if the maple syrup taste could carry through the entire sip.

KeenTeaThyme

I wish they made this with green rooibos instead of red. I think that would take that earthy/woodsy scent away. The rest of it would be so good if it wasn’t that nasty red!

Raritea

I don’t mind the earthiness so much but in this case I think that it may have been taking over the maple syrup taste. I really was hoping for a strong flavour throughout.

Oh, my does this smell awesome or what? I am pretty enthusiastic about maple syrup. But I am also very unfamiliar with maple syrup, so feel free to disregard my impressions.

This tastes nearly as awesome as it smells. I can not really tell apart the caramel from the toffee taste and those two tastes from the maple syrup. To me, maple syrup taste is wonderfully exotic and plain wonderful, full stop. But and there is a but, there was something a bit artificial, a bit cloying about the scent, it lingered and lingered and seemed one-note rather than complex.

The tea base underneath is green rooibos with honeybush and just does not have the same strength, depth than red rooibos. It might be a better base for non-rooibos fans.

Lovely idea, a good tea, though it somehow misses being a perfect hit with me. Perhaps my opinion will change as I brew the rest of the package and I am sure I will and won´t take too long about it.

Felt like something super sweet and mapley this morning, without the caffeine as I wanted to be able to go back to sleep after. It was between this and Gingerbread and seeing how what I have of Gingerbread is probably all I’ll ever have of it, I went with this.

I think I may have underleafed it (oops) because it wasn’t as flavourful as it was before. To try and make up for this, I steeped it longer…I think it helped a little. As always, it tastes like liquid maple syrup with a little bit of butteryness. Truly a delicious tea if you like sweet.

keychange

I’m just jealous that you get to go back to sleep LOL.

Drank this to welcome myself back to Canada and back to my tea stash! And OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS I came home to a giant order from Verdant and another order from Camellia Sinensis including my first gaiwan and tons of new teas to try!! I CANT EVEN HANDLE IT. I’m readying myself for some gaiwan beginner fails but I’m super excited!!

Bonnie

Welcome home!

Tina S.

That is the best welcome home present a tea lover can have!

Jessie

Love Camellia Sinensis’ gaiwans! Welcome back.

When I visited a sugarbush (which didn’t yet have any maple syrup!) a couple weekends ago, I realized I hadn’t tried Oh Canada. What was with that? I have tried most or all of the flavoured DT teas that appeal to me, so I knew I had to get on this.

Opening the bag is just like opening a bottle of maple syrup. Same scent, same colour. Although there are candies. As wonderful as maple syrup is, it doesn’t have colourful candies. I would like to be ashamed of getting excited at candies in tea, but why wouldn’t something like a maple-flavoured rooibos have candies?

Anyway, I deeply and sincerely love maple syrup. But, it’s not exactly compatible with my attempted lowish-carb diet. I have some artifically sweetened maple(-flavoured?) syrup, but I have to try pretty hard to convince myself it’s anywhere close to the real thing. This tea does taste seriously mapley, so it’s great to have in my arsenal of craving-killing teas. I’ll need to get more than the small amount I picked up, as I’ve already had three cups of it. I prefer it with a little milk, I think, but definitely feel no need to sweeten it. I also clearly need to use this the next time I make pancakes!

aisling of tea

My wife and I made syrup out of this tea and it is so very tasty.

Jessie

Um, that is brilliant. I just realized I could try making syrup with this tea and a sweetener like erythritol. I have type 1 diabetes and don’t like artificial sweeteners, which makes things difficult. Thanks for the idea!

Oh yay for a great big mug of Oh Canada!

This is my second favourite tea (a very close second to Coco Chai Rooibos), and it always makes be very happy when I choose to make this. I steep it for the maximum amount of time to really get that maple flavour going, then I add a teaspoon of maple sugar and a splash of milk. Oh, heaven! It’s all about the maple flavour in this tea.

I may be ambivalent about my current Midsummer Night’s Dream iced tea, but I absolutely love Oh Canada!

Time for dessert! I finally got my order in from David’s Tea. This tea smells fantaaaaaaastic. Mapley mapley goodness, plus adorable little maple leaf sprinkles and chunks of caramel and toffee. I love tea that’s tasty and fun.

When I visited Canada with my French class way back in high school we visited a maple syrup shop/diner where before dinner they (jokingly) told us to try maple syrup on everything. I did (and I mean everything) and never looked back.

The maple carries into the steeped tea with notes of caramel. The rooibos isn’t overpowering, the maple really stands out (which is what I was hoping for!) but doesn’t punch you in the face. This is super yummy and I can’t wait to try it iced with a bit of sugar added.

Edit:
Successful second steep, less maple this time and more rooibos. Still has that rich sweetness from the toffee and caramel though.

DaisyChubb

Yes! So much maple flavour in this tea – it’s loverly!
Which reminds me that I have a huge bottle of maple syrup in my cupboard just waiting to smother everything, thanks for the reminder! lol

Kiaharii

Nothing better than real maple syrup. :)

DaisyChubb

Too true!

Helena

Maple…mmmm…Maple…maple? I love maple :D I think I need some maple fudge now.. sigh or at least more Oh Canada :D