Oh Canada!

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Caramel, Green Rooibos, Honey Bush Leaves, Rooibos, Toffee
Caramel, Maple, Maple Syrup, Toffee, Butter, Pancake Syrup, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Vanilla, Marshmallow, Marzipan
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s all about the leaf

Looking for a taste of Canada? Try this red rooibos tea. It’s sweetened with (what else?) maple syrup and sprinkled with delicious maple leaf candies. Plus it’s 100% diplomatic (well, caffeine-free) and tastes great in both our official languages. With green rooibos, honeybush, caramel and toffee bits to shake things up. A truly authentic Canadian experience.

Ingredients: South African green and red rooibos, honeybush, caramel bits, toffee bits, candy leaves, artificial and natural flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy, dairy and tree nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So, how do you order from David’s Tea and not get the one named “Oh, Canada”? I didn’t know how, so of course it goes in my cart.

I’m actually a fan of rooibos blends (okay, I’ll admit, I’m a fan of just about anything that you steep in hot water and drink), so I was really excited to try this one. I’m always on the lookout for rooibos/honeybush/herbal blends that are awesome.

So, the scent of this tea has me nervous. Want to know what it smells like? Do you have a bottle of real maple syrup handy? Open it and sniff. That is what this tea smells like. Exactly what this tea smells like. Sweet, maply syrup. It smells so overwhelmingly sweet that I was very concerned about the first sip…

But I shouldn’t have been!! Yes, it tastes like maple syrup, but it’s not syrupy-sweet. In fact, it’s got a bitter-burnt-bakey edge to it that makes me think of pancakes flavored with maple syrup. Oh, Canada…you are a fine tea indeed.

ETA: Second steep is a bit weaker than the first, but by no means has it diminished in flavor. In fact, it might be better.

Boiling 8 min or more

So I received this one in a swap a long time ago…I just have not had the chance to review it. I’m still getting my palate for rooibos teas but this one is pretty stinkin’ good. Woodsy maple syrup. This is a decaf that I would add to the permanent collection. I even used the rest of the leaves mixed coffee. Fantastic!

Yummy… just received my first Davids Tea order (received my order in 1 week) Because it is late in the day I decided to make this one first (I am saddened that I will have to wait to try the yummy black teas for a few days I have to be at the hospital first thing tomorrow for surgery and can have NOTHING :( to drink after midnight) yuck! But it will help knowing when I return home I will have lots of yummy new teas to choose. OK enough about why I chose this one first… YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM this smells just like the maple syrup my in laws just brought back for us from their visit to Canada the other month. OMG it tastes like a tea version of maple syrup but not too sweet. I really like this. In the past I cringed at rooibos but have found a few that I really enjoy! I so want to try the Buttered Rum tea but really need sleep tonight… maybe just a small cuppa??!!!

Meghann M

I think a small cup of Buttered Rum may be just what you need to sleep tonight:)

I love the flavor of maple – and I’ve been wanting to try a maple flavored tea for a long time. I figured a Canadian company would probably know what they were doing as far as maple was concerned, so I went ahead and added this to my order.

The smell of this one dry did make me hesitant, at first. There was definitely maple there, but also something else that didn’t quite fit. That weird chemical note that seems to appear more often than not in the dry leaf scent of their blends. I’ve learned by now that once it steeps that fake smell disappears, so I hoped it would be the case with this one too.

Steep notes: 1.75 tsp. leaf, 10 oz. water, no additives, below parameters.

Once steeped that chemical smell does go away- leaving what looks and smells like pancake syrup – YUM! And even more awesome, this TASTES like maple syrup! There is a definite sweetness and even a kind of buttery note that makes me want to pour this over a stack of pancakes and eat it. Seriously WOW.

I didn’t really get any hints of rooibos in the tisane itself, but then I did kind of suck this down fast because it was SO GOOD. It does definitely make me want pancakes or waffles or something breakfasty and sweet.

I will definitely be keeping some of this on hand!

Ashley Bain

one of my absolute favs!

Thanks Finn88!
I ruined it! The tasting notes for this tea was at 123 :P Anyways, if it weren’t for this swap I probably would have never tried a maple tea. Hmm this tea is very sweet. I am getting caramel and maple. Someone mentioned that it tasted like a maple bar doughnut and that’s exactly what it made me think of! I didn’t think I’d like this tea as much as I do because I’m not a huge fan of maple flavored things. But the rooibos was a really nice base for this tea. All of the flavors mix so nicely :] Thanks again!!

At the risk of being tossed right off this board…

Prior to drinking this, I thought the Organic Grapefruit from London Tea Room was the worst tea I’d ever had. This topped that.

This smelled absolutely incredible in the bag. Yummy maple aroma wafting out of the bag. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I love maple. I love rooibos. Then I steeped it. I promise this isn’t hyperbole: this tea steeped smells like a house with too many cats. It tasted as awful as it smelled.

I’ll be sending an email to DavidsTea. Yuk.

NOTE: Removing my terrible, 1-point rating. We’ll see if the sample works out and I just got a bad batch.

Missy

D’oh! That is a truly unfortunate experience.

Kittenna

That’s really strange. This one really tasted like maple syrup to me; nearly the same as the aroma.

Missy

I tried it too. I think the rooibos is off. I did get a lot of maple syrup but I also got the undesirable flavor. There is burnt flavor to it that doesn’t mix right with flavoring. I wonder if you can chemically burn rooibos with flavoring stuff.

I got this in a swap…although I am not sure who sent it. (SORRY, but THANK YOU, etc. etc.)

I tried it 1.5 tsp/cup, boil, 5 minute steep and it was somewhat week. I LOVE maple and am going to give it another try. I want to get the MAPLE!!! flavor that other tasters found. I am not going to rate until I give it a chance…Does anyone else have any good steeping parameters for this one?

Raritea

I’m pretty sure that that one is from me! :) If you’re trying to get more flavour I would say don’t be afraid to up the dry leaf per amount of water and the infusion time.

Ellyn

Yes, I think you are right! Thank you, Raritea! I will play with leaf amount tonight…

Aimee Popovacki

i love this one, but got tired of it.. I have a bag of it i can send you if you’d like! …. i also found putting a tsp of pure canadian maple syrup in it brings out the maple flavouring! (if I can find a way to include some for ya I will) .. I’m thinking maybe if i put some in a film canister?

Ellyn

I would love a bag of this aimee! and I will try a tsp of pure Canadian maple…i will msg you!

This tea is like a Cozy Saturday morning and the smell of Maple pancakes In the air, its its like childhood wrapped in a blanket! Just not all the calories ….

Scott B

Going to look for the Blair Witch?

Sare

No lol more like paranormal in Gettysburg ;)

Scott B

Sounds fun :)

So I got this treat in the mail today from jessiwrites :)

And hello maple! The medicinal taste is definitely lessened, I’m thinking from the from the sheer amount of caramel and toffee that must be in here. This one is up there for the rooibos’ I’ve tried thus far. Whenever that medicinal taste is diminished I have hope.

I’m going to try a second steep to see if it’ll will be better for me. Thanks again jessiwrites for the tea and the second steep tip!

jessiwrites

Yay! I’m glad you didn’t hate this one. Haha! I hope the second steep worked for you.

Grrr… Steepster hiccuped and I lost my post! Let’s try this again…

Sipdown! I’m trying diligently to finish up as many teas as I can, as I have an order on the way and a bunch of new teas from recent swaps that I haven’t added to my cupboard yet. If I’m feeling overwhelmed at around 50, I can’t even imagine how those of you up near 200 manage it!

Ok, this is a good cup for when you’re looking for something sweet and caffeine-free. I like it, but it’s not something I’m likely to restock as I prefer Birthday Cake, and that fills the sweet rooibos void quite nicely for me. Not much to say about this one that I didn’t already put in my previous tasting note.