Vanilla Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “This is truly one of my favorite teas, even more so when chilled. This is the other pitcher of tea I made for the inlaw invasion, but it wasn't cool in time. Still, by the end of the night, it had...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1234 tasting notes
  • “Enjoying a big cup of this thanks to *Robyn*! The aroma is deliciously vanilla-y and creamy, and the flavour closely matches, with a lovely vanilla aftertaste, although there's almost a bit of a...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2245 tasting notes
  • “You know, I'm so overwhelmed by samples that I totally forgot I had a whole bunch of them from DAVIDs! I got one of the sampler packs in the cute little tins, I forget which one but it has an...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Brought this one to my Shakespearean Acting class today. We're all sitting at the table, and my professor pauses in his lecture, looks at me and goes "Is that wine?" The class turns to stare at...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Discover the power of vanilla and oolong, with a little hint of orange. It’s temptingly rich. We’ve used Pouchong tea leaves, the least oxidized of oolongs. Which means that it’s almost as high in antioxidants as green tea. A lucky thing, because this tea is really quite addictive. Who would have thought that something this smooth and creamy could be so healthy?

Ingredients: Taiwanese pouchong oolong tea, green tea, lemon myrtle, marigolds.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is the first time I’ve had a vanilla tea that wasn’t a black. The oolong tea makes it a more buttery experience, with the vanilla being less strong but definitely unique here. After my first steep there was no scent of vanilla left in the leaves so I didn’t try a second steep. Looking at the reviews here of second steeps I’m glad I didn’t since I’d have been disappointed.

I tried adding a dash of sugar halfway through the cup which mellowed the vanilla a bit, bringing out more of the oolong flavour. A strange experience since sugar usually masks the tea flavours, but it did make for a nice remainder of the cup.

Not such a fan of this one – I find it to be a bit too buttery, I prefer the liquor to be a little less thick.

takgoti

That’s funny. The qualities you don’t like in it make it sound like a tea I could get along with well.

bonnievantastic

I enjoy the two qualities on their own, but I found it a little off-puuting here, like it was fermented after brewing or something. I don;t know, that makes it sound awful. Maybe a better comparison is like you would probably not enjoy a whole glass of dulce de leche but a spoonful is lovely. Ya, like that.
This one is not far off from the feeling I get from thw quanzou milk oolong.

takgoti

Haha, I see. Well put.

Hmm… maybe I’m just not into flavored teas… This really barely tasted like tea to me! The vanilla flavoring tasted pretty artificial. It was more like a drink you might get from Starbucks than fine tea to me.

Rachel J

I feel badly about writing that scathing review, but I’m not trying to say it was awful, just not my taste. The flavoring was just not for me. I forgot to mention that there was also kind of a sour, acidic taste I got the more of it I drank.

So…before I proceed I will admit that this post may contain spoilers (if you have also purchased David’s 24 teas of Christmas).

I always forget the proper execution of Advent Calendars!! I thought about it for a while and then decided I would use this adorable DavidsTea version to count down to Christmas. This means I started with #24.

Today’s edition (#23) was a delicious Vanilla Oolong. This is somewhat ironic because I just purchased David’s Vanilla Orchid Oolong as well, after realizing I hadn’t gotten any new oolongs for a spell. This one was simply delightful. Subtle warm vanilla hints in an otherwise traditional oolong.

My family’s Christmas party was last night. We had a house filled with neighbors, family and friends. It’s always great having an opportunity to catch up with people around the holidays. It really sparked the holiday spirit, and this morning, reflecting on this with a warm cuppan was a great way to start my day!

Had my first $1 iced tea of the summer yesterday! I’m so fracking glad this promo is back; I think I may have nearly abused my iced tea privileges last year and I plan on doing the same this summer :D

I chose this over the bear trap they were also offering because I’d never had it and I had always been mildly interested in it since I love all things vanilla. I got it with a touch of agave, which I kind of ended up regretting. It has a natural, almost floral sweetness (I tried a sample straight before having them add the agave to my cup) and the agave just killed that.

I’m not usually one for oolongs, but I really enjoyed this one. It was light and refreshing with tons of delicious vanilla flavour. I liked the toasty taste that the oolong added as well. My only beef is that it was a tad bitter..I think it might have been slightly oversteeped. Thinking about buying some to bring home but darn it, my tea cupboard is probably already hosting a family of gremlins as it is. It is a huge mess of goodness.

I’ll admit, I was in a bit of a hurry when I made this today, so the water was slightly too hot, and the steep was about half a minute longer than intended.

There’s a sweet, creaminess from the tea which I associate with the petals within it — actually, I wonder if that’s what it was yesterday with Madam Red too. Overall, it’s a little too light for my tastes, but it’s not bad.

1st steep: 1.5 tsp for however much liquid this mug takes, 3 mins. I love staring down my mug watching this tea steep. It’s so pretty and carefree. I find the vanilla to be the most prominent in the first cup, and it’s not a fake vanilla. It’s warm and fuzzy, although I have yet to steep it long enough to get a really buttery taste. I can taste a slight veggieness as well, the more I drink this.

2nd steep: 4 mins-ish. Smells like lemongrass! I always huff the steam like a cracked out tea nut. Vanilla may be almost lost now, but it’s still got that lovelyness (very descriptive, I know) of the first steep. LIttle astringency, the veggieness is still hanging out in the backround. This is my first oolong, and a flavoured one at that so please forgive my lack of ability to properly describe this. It’s just GOOD! I just wish I had more time to eek out another steep.

i was bewitched by the fragrance and pleasantly delighted by the taste. I reuse the leaves all day long.Sometimes its my dessert.

Lovely vanilla aroma, light flavours, highly enjoyable moderately caffeinated tea.

Tried it at DT Saint-Bruno. Not bad, re comforting and smooth. Well-made Oolong with a nice creamy feeling. But, don’t oversteep it because it will be… DEAD. Try it light and you will find it really interesting in mouth, not too creamy. :)