Coffee Pu'erh

Pu-erh Tea
Coffee Beans, Natural Almond Flavor, Pu Erh Tea, Vanilla Flavour
Bitter, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Hay, Vanilla, Chocolate, Cocoa, Creamy, Earth, Caramel, Nuts, Roasted, Almond, Cream
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Callista Johnson

2 Images

• “I had the last of this in my to go mug this morning. Goodbye, delicious coffee pu’erh, I hardly knew ye. Ok, so I actually knew it almost every morning for the last week. I love this stuff,...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “This stuff is absolutely divine. But this is coming from somebody who drank coffee before she drank tea. I now prefer the latter over the former but that’s not what this review is about...” Read full tasting note
    Kinsa 97 tasting notes
  • “Eeek! I forgot all about my reaction to this one last time and ordered it again, only this time as a latte. Hey if I’m limiting myself to one hot tea per week I might as well splurge a tad,...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1512 tasting notes
  • “Okay, so, I have never had a pu’erh tea before. I’m a reformed coffee drinker (3 cups a day) and I am still a little out of my element here. Completely happy and joyful about exploring...” Read full tasting note
    graceatblb 92 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Ancient avant-garde

Pu’erh has come a long way since its heyday as a tribute tea to Chinese emperors a thousand years back. It’s still got that legendary taste, but the new “cooked” varieties are really something special. Our blend helps mark this milestone by combining pu’erh with coffee beans, chocolate, caramel and almond flavour. Even your coffee-addict friends will go crazy for it. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Chinese cooked pu’erh tea, coffee beans, artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is a really strange tea, but I like it with milk and sugar. Definitely tastes coffee-ish.

Huh I’m amazed I never commented on this tea before. I drink this somewhat regularly and have a couple different ways I like to make it depending on what I’m going for. Typically if I want it to be more sweet coffee/chocolatey dessert tea, I steep it for about 2 minutes and put a bit of sugar (honey seems “wrong” with this one to me on account of the coffee) and almond milk in it. If I want it to be more earthy and tea-y, I let it steep for 5+ minutes, depending entirely on how much attention I’m paying it.

… I’ve been tempted to see how short steeps go for this, but just can’t be arsed to experiment when I really quite enjoy this as I’ve been doing it.

Also, I do rinse it briefly (~10 secs) with cooled boiling water off the start, which I don’t know if it’s “necessary”, but the initial rinse liquid does smell a bit wonky to me. If nothing else, in my mind it’s a good thing.

Edit: Oh of course NOW I see my old review pop up on the page. Oh well. I hope this one might be a bit more helpful at least.

There are coffee beans in this blend! It has a pleasant, coffee-like aroma as well. I was a little wary of the base as I have not tried any of DAVIDs pu-erh blends before, but it did not display any offensive qualities. There was no fishiness, and reviews to the contrary seem to be from some time ago, so they may have improved the blend since then. As for the quality of the taste…was it earthy? Possibly. Did it taste like coffee? A little bit. Was it smooth and recognizably not black tea? Yes. Did it have its own complexity or distinguishing qualities? Not so much. But oddly enough, it was enjoyable to drink—maybe I just craved that aromatic, coffee-and-caramel experience in the morning. In all, if I were to recommend a flavored pu-erh blend, I would pick a different one (the tea base is much more pronounced in Lupicia’s blends, for instance), but this isn’t bad either. Thanks to beelicious for the sample!

Sakura Sushi

Glad to read your review. I was mildly curious about this one, but I always thought that if I wanted something that tasted like coffee, I would just, y’know, drink coffee. ;)

Mikumofu

It doesn’t taste quite like coffee, either…so if you want coffee, the real thing is still your surest bet :)

I am addicted to this tea! I used to be an avid coffee drinker but was finding myself getting bored with my daily cup so I thought I would try some more teas. I was initially quite scared to try a Pu’erh tea as I have seen some comments mentioning rotting fish. I was pleasantly surprised when I brewed this and and detected only a slight oceanic scent. This does have a slight earthyness along with a subtle chocolate-coffee flavour I just cant get enough of. This coupled with the fact that I cannot detect any bitterness in this tea it makes for a very drinkable cup.

5 min, 0 sec 1 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Ha! That’s it! I always tend to oversteep my teas. This time I’ve tried this again for no more than 4 minutes and that’s the key! The pu’erh earthy taste is very subtle now, I mostly get coffee and a hint of vanilla, much much better!

Flavors: Coffee, Vanilla

Kittenna

Hahaha, I used to do that too, and once I realized it, there was such an incredible difference.

Cachou972

Yes, I thought black teas were quite forgiving with steeping times but not this one apparently… Now it tastes a lot more like a coffee crisp :)

I was craving something rich and coffee-like today so I opted to get a hot up of Coffee Pu’erh. This tea smells amazing as a dry leaf and when brewed. It is definitely related to coffee but made more gentle by the smooth, earthy pu erh, instead of coffee’s usual acidity. Chocolate is present throughout the flavors, perhaps even more strongly than the coffee flavor. This is an example of a blend that tastes sweet in a rich way instead of just a candy-like way, and I enjoy it much more than the usual sugar-inspired blends at Davids Teas. I took this tea without sugar or milk, and let it steep a little long. I bet as a late this is amazing. This satisfied my coffee/late cravings without sugar, acidity, and lighter on the caffeine. This might become a new staple for me as a way to drink less coffee. Every bit as satisfying in mouthfeel, taste, and smell.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Coffee, Creamy, Earth

A rich and robust tea that bring together the sweetness of chocolate, the assertiveness of coffee tied together with a warm, creamy caramel.

It’s aroma is strong and appetizing with very strong coffee notes, understandable given the whole coffee beans blended into this tea. Brewing is beautiful, starting as a red-gold diffusion and slowly darkening to a deep and powerful black.

Powerful and earthy, this tea is filled with sweet chocolate, strong coffee and a balance of caramel and nuts. Great for morning starts and to fuel all-nighters. This high-octane, medium caffeine drink has great taste for people who love strong, assertive flavours.

Flavors: Caramel, Coffee, Creamy, Dark Chocolate, Nuts, Roasted

7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

On our lovely vacation in Canada, I headed to David’s tea dragging my grandmother behind me. (not literally, folks) This was one of the teas I purchased as it had caught my attention a long time ago. Also, it smelled really good. Like a coffee shop. This afternoon I brewed it up. I’m sooo glad I bought this. It has a lighter coffee taste than just straight coffee but with a “black” tea taste. By this way, this is my first pu’erh. (I’m new to tea and have a small allowance so purchasing loose tea is not a frequent habit) The claim of caramel, chocolate, and almond notes are subtle. I did resteep this at the same temperature but for 6 or 7 minutes. It was just as good. Now I want to try oolong tea and white. Alas, I have none.

Flavors: Almond, Coffee, Dark Chocolate

So, I don’t hate this and I was completely prepared to. I am SHOCKED. I am a complete coffee hater. I don’t even like chocolates with a coffee filling or coffee ice cream. I actually really like the smell of coffee and even the start of the coffee taste, but that bitter aftertaste always gets me. This tea magically has a bit of the aroma and the taste without any of the aftertaste. It tastes like all the things I like about mocha without that terrible bitterness at the end. I’m getting through this whole cup and it’s not a struggle at all. Would I buy this again? Probably not. But I am glad that I tried it, thanks to Virginia! I won’t rate this since I am not a coffee fan.

So my mother’s day bouquet is rapidly declining now and I think I might go buy another bouquet this weekend because I just love having fresh flowers on the table. So beautiful.

This smells delicious. Mostly salty caramel and coffee. Mmm. I did underleaf it a bit so it is somewhat watery today but I still love that it gives me all the satisfying coffee taste minus the yuck of it. Don’t get me wrong, I love good coffee, but sometimes the aftertaste of it just bothers me now. Caramel, coffee, malt and earth are coming out to play and we’re having a blast. Absolutely no bitterness. Yums