Orange Pekoe (organic)

Black Teas
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “I think I blocked this one from my memory out of sorrow. I had it yesterday, the last of my little pouch. My timer was in use at the moment, so I tried to eyeball the time. Turns out, I need...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1303 tasting notes
  • “do any of you like to read memoirs? i especially like to read memoirs about depressed or abused or mentally ill girls. is that wrong to admit? well, it's true. Unbearable Lightness, The Glass...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes
  • “I didn't realize I never posted a review of this one - I bought it probably a year or so ago when I went on a bender of trying all of Davids' unflavoured teas. Now, of course I know what a typical...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking a lot of regular ole' black tea lately and decided to pick up an ounce of this on my way out of the mall (after I snatched up a Lupicia happy bag). My favorite for awhile now...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The one
We’ve polled the entire country and this is, in fact, the perfect pekoe. The classic of all classics. The ultimate pick-me-up. The blend to turn to when you crave a good, honest cup of tea. Some say it evokes thoughts of warm comfort and familiar friends, others go off on tangents about doughnuts and red roses. Either way, everyone falls hard for this all-organic tea from top estates in Sri Lanka and Assam.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Smooth mouth-feel. Pleasant astringency. Sweet hay notes near the end of the sip.

3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

Add milk and sugar, and it tastes like hugs. This is the most comforting tea in my cupboard, and the one I usually reach for most.

Amanda

Lol. You said it tasted like hugs! That’s so cute :)

I grew up with two kinds of tea: Red Rose and Twinings Earl Grey. Every night around 7 p.m., my dad would ask everyone in the family if we’d like a cup of tea, and 99% of the time, I chose the Red Rose. So, I grew up with Orange Pekoe, and thus, I am very, very fond of this tea. It’s the flavour of Red Rose, tidied up and amplified. This is my hug-in-a-cup tea, and it suits all my wildly varying moods. Who doesn’t love Orange Pekoe, though?

This is standard tea in my cupboard. I have it for those times when I just want tea, nothing special or fancy. I tend to have it with a hint of soymilk and raw cane sugar.
The tea is nothing particularly special. I find it lacks a little something…sort of empty or hollow tasting. It isn’t particularly full bodied, but it serves its purpose. I think its great to have on hand for those people who expect bagged orange pekoe (I don’t think we have any bagged tea anymore….).
I always refill the tin when it’s empty, but I don’t think I’ve ever craved this tea in an overwhelming way.

Faith

Whoa… it’s like you read my mind and wrote a review for me! This is EXACTLY how I feel about this tea, it’s alright, but not spectacular. And I too have never really craved this tea…

Day 81 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

The tea has a nice full-bodied flavour to it, flowery with a bit of smoke. Probably one of my favourite straight blacks so far!

My mark for a good black tea is something that I can — and want to — drink with or without milk and sweetener. And this fits the bill. I tried it first plain, and had the rest of my first steep (which had by that time slightly oversteeped with milk and honey). It tasted wonderful both ways. The resteep wasn’t bad either. :)

I got this one knowing that I love Orange Pekoe, but never having tried a loose-leaf version of the beloved staple tea.

This tea tastes basically the same as Red Rose, which is normally what I drink for Orange Pekoe, but I found with this one that the flavour was gentler. It wasn’t as much of a punch as others have been. Maybe if I had used more leaves, I would have gotten more of a punch of flavour, but I didn’t seem to get much with this one. It was nice and subtle. I definitely like the option of having an orange pekoe that’s a bit gentler.
I think I would get this again, but I think I’ll use up my other orange pekoes first before restocking.

Really no scent coming from the leaves, let’s hope there’s more flavour than there is scent!

All-in-all, not bad, but it’s not blowing me out of the water either. I’m used to Red Rose and Tazo Awake tea so maybe my taste buds are off? There is the taste of a black tea with hints of roses, but it’s rather weak. I want this to wow me! To sweep me off into a lovely tea-induced coma! Sadly, it’s dropped the ball. Oh well, at least I tried it right?

Really excellent blend. It’s good with milk, and it’s the right strength for me – great with a little milk but not too strong. It’s got a lovely round flavour to it.
Some of my friends insist on teabag tea. This is one of the few teas that is very close to something like Tetley, only much nicer and smoother. I’m sad it’s run out.

I bought this to make iced tea, I thought using loose leaf orange pekoe instead of bags would make it taste better but it wasn’t the case, it tasted kind of watery even though I used a lot

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh yes, Shmiracles ordered this one for me and I’m SO GLAD right now because it’s SO STRONG and GOOD and TEA and I’m listening to that song “Sidewalk Talk” from the 80s on Spotify. SO GLAD SO STRONG GOOD TEA.