Swampwater

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Nosyam

• “I made Swampwater iced cubes...and added them to a glass of plain water, one of Swampwater, and one of my lemonwater (a packet of True Lemon and Splenda) and the results were phenomenal! Each...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “I feel like this is a tea that would do well as a seasonal Halloween item, but hey, I'm pretty happy that it's available now so I'm not complaining. First, the appearance. The dry leaves look...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes
  • “Okay, first things first. Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd is hopelessly stuck in my head. I blame the tea. Secondly, I haven't had this tea in months. It is one of the first I bought at David's Tea...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 675 tasting notes
  • “So I went to dt a couple days ago and there was only one person in the store with me, and when I asked for this tea, the man came up to me and asked what it was. He says all he could smell was the...” Read full tasting note
    Cedes 62 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

We called this tea Swampwater to keep adults away, but it doesn’t seem to work. Every time they taste it, they drink the whole thing down. Because the natural, tangy sweetness of green rooibos, guava, passionfruit and little candy sprinkles is just too irresistible. Even the murky green colour doesn’t scare them off. Maybe we should explain that it’s full of antioxidants. And caffeine-free. Reverse psychology…

Ingredients: Green rooibos, strawberry candies, sunflower, candy sprinkles, orange candies.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

In my early days on Steepster, I’d browse the teas to see what was out there. I found this, and fell in love with the name. This was before I’d ever even had a green rooibos blend, and it went on my Shopping List.

It’s now in my Cupboard.

The smell is fantastic: all green rooibos and fruity/tangy. Taste is green rooibos with tropical fruits, and just a smidgen of sweetness from the candy sprinkles. Absolutely fantastic!! I’m enjoying it hot right now (it’s 54 F outside, ain’t no way I’m drinking anything cold!), but can easily see myself drinking pitchers of this in the summer. I know it was one of their Summer 2010 teas…will it be back, or do I need to invest in more now?

Boiling 8 min or more

Thanks to Kittena for a sample of this tea!

Relaxing this evening with some nintendo DS, Castlevania (order of ecclesia) and tea! Bleh, I’ll lift weights tomorrow! I thought I’d grab a DavidsTea out of my sample pile to switch it up a bit.

DRY: cute orange sprinkles and little black kitties! Makes me think of halloween!

STEEPED: very very weird steeping with my DT Steeper. It looks the typical brown tea. However, when I poured my tea into my cup, it became this weird foresty dark green… uhhh.. what happened? /brain explosion

TASTE: slight fruity tang and sugar sweet. Green rooibos mellow and nutty background. Very nice fruity after taste. Not bitter.

COMMENTS: Very very weird tea. I really like the after taste. Swampwater reminds me of almost bubblegum in a way. The fun factor in Swampwater is super cool, but I’m wanting something more stronger or brighter in taste.

However, I think this iced would be really good and bring out the fruityness.

My tea hating husband got a sip. He was confused about the colour and said it tasted like weird tea and thought it was bitter. (weird)

Fjellrev

It is awesome iced.

Dry Leaf Nose: Berry, fruity strawberry.

Liquor: Murky gold-green colour with a berry-fruity aroma of strawberries.

Flavour: Strawberry flavour outshines the green rooibos, and leaves a refreshing strawberry aftertaste.

-nicole-

I can’t believe Swampwater has been discontinued! I hope it comes back again in the near future. It is my favorite tea, ever!

jadlowitz

Nicole, I am in the same position. I really enjoy this tea and thought it was going to be online only. Yet the company has decided to change their policy.

-nicole-

It is unfortunate. I ordered 50g, and then went to order more when I seen online only, but it says it was out of stock :( Hopefully it returns again in the future..

When I used to work at the mall, the DT staff used to bring tea to our store a lot, or if we’d visit them, they’d let us pick something to drink. During the summer, this iced was my favourite. STILL haven’t found a decent iced tea jug (seriously?!) so for now, I have to settle having this hot.

First and foremost, how come there aren’t more green rooibos blends out there? I normally don’t care for the red variety, or honeybush, so why this isn’t the more popular one is beyond me. Yeah, it’s personal taste, but still. Please more green rooibos!

This is yummy hot too. When I drank it iced, it seemed more tropical in flavour. The guava and the passionfruit seemed to dominate the tea, but hot, I’m noticing now that the strawberry is much more prevalent. Both are actually very nice.

I’m itching for some iced Swampwater though!

So this is one adult that the green color almost scared off. But I’m admittedly touchy about such things. When I was 12-13, we had ham for Christmas. I found a vein in my piece (understandably). I was so thrown off by this that I didn’t eat meat for months…and then mom made bacon. Vegetarian fail. Anyway if something looks “off”, even if I know it’s not, I have a hard time eating it or drinking it. I’ve seen tea this color once, but it was in a long-forgotten mug and had nearly learned how to say “hello”.

ANYWAY. This sample was from the lovely Jillian, thank you so much! I have been dying to try this one and nearly bought a bag when it was rereleased. I’m kind of glad I didn’t though. I’m not a big fan of the tropical flavors, like guava or passion fruit or papaya. They just never taste that good to me, I’d rather have berries. But this tea is pretty good, I’m glad I tried it. Very juicy and full-flavored. I might use up the rest of the sample for a pitcher of iced tea.

So I would recommend this one to everyone to at least try it, but it’s not going to be an addition to my cupboard.

teaNsympathy

I’ve been on the fence about trying this one. Every time I was at David’s I’d be meaning to get it, and then would reconsider last minute for something else. Great description, if it gets released again, I’ll definitely have to try it!

Tina S.

It has been strongly hinted that it’ll be a summer addition to the seasonals this year.

Very unusual and creative! Me likie!
Thanks to Jaime for another neat tisane!

After infusion the color lives up to its name that is for sure! LOVE the sprinkles! It’s sugary and smooth. It’s semi-fruity. I can almost taste a little nuttiness too. Tangy…but in a good way! There is so much going on in here! It really like this because it’s so unique!!!

Geoffrey Norman

I love the name on this one.

Another sample from CK!

What is this witchcraft?

It looked like a brown liquor in my ingenuiTEA, and then looked dark green and murky as it dispensed into my cup. It kind of looks like toxic sludge more than a swamp. Yum?

It has a nice fruity tang, that reminds me mostly of strawberries, and a sweet sugar taste. The green rooibos is mellow and kind of nutty. There’s no bitterness and the rooibos is relatively mild. It has a little of the red rooibos flavor I don’t like, but it’s not overwhelming.

The aftertaste is really smooth and pleasantly fruity and I really enjoy it! There’s definitely a fun/novelty factor to this tea and I think that would be the reason I’d have some on hand. The taste was pleasant and inoffensive enough, but it wouldn’t be something I’d reach for on a regular basis.

Boiling 8 min or more

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending some of this my way!

At first, when I saw the name, I was thinking “why would anyone name their tea swampwater?” eww! And now I see why they call it swampwater, because the color liquid it produces is a very ugly swamp water green.

But… it tastes really good. Sweet and fruity. A nutty flavor in the background. This is really quite tasty!

Tea of the evening…..

And day #11 of 24. This is a sample that was sent to me by Jillian. Thank you again for the unique teas you sent! You definitely had a part in encouraging my David’s addiction….

This one is the most unique rooibis I have had to date….. It has sprinkles. There are orange jimmies and black cats. The brewed up tea kind of looks a dark murky green. And it really reminds me of the taste of melted popsicles. I don’t mean that to sound bad in any way, because this definitely took me back to my childhood when I would try to get every last drop of juice left from eating a freezer pop. You know….the ones that come in the plastic tube. I get fruit flavors and it really does not taste like a rooibos at all, which for me is a plus. This is a fun tea!

Teapot method with a 7 minute steep.

Steeped ~3 tsp in hot water for a minute or two, then topped up to two cups with cold water.

I love the smell of this one dry, but it’s just been a bit too weird for me. Pretty much the same deal cold-brewed, unfortunately. It’s not bad, and a nice (gross) dark green, and there’s a bit of that delicious fruitiness, but it’s not really strong enough for me. Also, I find little candies in my tea (and sprinkles) to typically be a bit off-putting. The purpose of the hot water was to melt them, so at least that happened, but yeah.

Bleh, after Alpine Punch and The Earl of Lemon, this one is really not meshing with me right now. I think it might get to go back into the fridge for tomorrow. Too bad :(

Iced 8 min or more