Matcha Matsu

Matcha Tea
Grass, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I picked up some matcha to experiment with after Sil pointed me towards a great deal at Red Leaf. I've never made matcha myself but I enjoy the flavour of it in other food and beverages I've come...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 507 tasting notes
  • “Matchaaaaa! My local DT finally had some in stock, I was so happy! I eagerly got a cup (as I bought my new pink flowered bubble teapot!) And then it got busy at work, and I didn't get a chance...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1320 tasting notes
  • “Nom nom nom. Still whisk-less, but I did a better job with the fork this time. Mixed it with a bit of hot milk and agave, then added cold unsweetened almond milk. Learned last time that almond milk...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “(My 2nd review of this ) This time, I come prepared to «match II» of TheTeaFairy V/S Matcha Matsu!    I brought to the table the proper ammo, fool me once, never twice (hopefully): -...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 414 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Pure excellence

In Japanese, “matsu” literally means “pine tree”. But it’s also a term that indicates excellence. This powdered green tea lives up to its name. Quality this high can only be graded as “matsu”. Strong in taste and aroma, this matcha is pure indulgence – perfect for cleansing the palate during a fabulous meal. Whisk it into almost-boiled water and enjoy. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Stone-ground steamed green tea from Shizuoka, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The first time I tried this I had it to go as a hot soy latte, just to see what this matcha was about. I recall my first sip and thinking, I am drinking grass clippings, and oddly enough it doesn’t taste terrible! Now every time I go to David’s I have one to go.

On one of my visits I finally purchased some, and am so glad I did. I just wish I knew that a little goes a long way, because I purchased too much. But after reading some notes, I put some of it in the freezer to keep fresh.

I now drink this every morning. I put 1 or 2 teaspoons in my David’s iced tea to go cup with almond milk and ice. Give it a shake and good to go. I wish I had tried matcha a long time ago, and can’t wait to try other matcha’s.

TheTeaFairy

Glad you like it…Oh, I’ve had baaad sessions with it!! I came to the conclusion that Matcha isn’t for me. (Not a fan of lattes, but I ended up using it in my morning smoothies)

I haven’t actually made a hot cup of matcha yet, but I’ve made several matcha frappes recently. In all honesty, I only bought a tin of this for my pony, Java, as a way to wean him off of his mineral supplement (a green powder, the colour derived from seaweed). Now, he won’t eat his dinner unless there’s “supplement” (aka matcha) in it! Little bugger!

I think I can safely say that this is Java’s favourite tea, seeing as he will not touch his bucket if he can’t see/smell the matcha in it.

Mercuryhime

Not to be a downer, but is tea okay for horses? I know dogs and cats shouldn’t have it. Also, if you’re looking for a tea name for your horse, how about Honey Phoenix? That’s one tasty tea too!

Bear With Me

I talked to both my vet and an equine nutritionist and neither could find any reason not to give it to him. (Asking them actually stemmed from one day when he swiped my paper take-out cup and drank my earl grey). There are a few add-ins that I need to watch out for, but the tea itself is safe :)

Mercuryhime

haha, I think I said this before, but I love your horse! I don’t know why I find rascally animals so endearing. :)

so i could not wait for a whisk anymore and decided to jump in so i will no longer be a matcha virgin

got 3 small rubbermaid containers that are as big (or small) as my tasting teacups

and tasted this together with Teavana Imperial Grade Matcha and an Organic Mint Matcha

i used water right out of the dispenser (neither cold nor warm) coz i did not want any bitterness but neither did i want to mask the taste with coolness.

this has a pleasant taste! the first time i tried it was at a DT shop in SFO and all i got was bitterness but my aunt liked it enough to buy some.
so glad i did it right the first time!

there is a sweet undertone that makes you want to drink it more :)

thanks to Nathalie for sending me this in a swap!

yappychappy

Yum! How’d you do it without whisk? Water bottle? With water bottle shake method I definitely prefer room tempish water.

yssah - Love is Tea (LIT)

small rubbermaid container method. i use small portions for test tastes :)

Very bland and I tried it from thin to thick with various amounts of water (i default to 1/2 a tsp per 3 oz of water for matcha) and water temps (80C). Harneys and DoMatcha 2nd harvest are much better at this price range. Matcha also didn’t give me the matcha calm alertedness greatness feeling I tend to get from a good matcha.

Normally when someone describes a taste as “Earthy” I prepare to hate it. But, my favourite DT-er was in today and recommended this with Soy Milk to accent the “Earthiness” so I went for it. OH MY WORD! Rich, earthy goodness. This is the way tea was intended to taste.

TeaEqualsBliss

MATCHA-Thon???

BoxerMama

Oh heck no! After half a cup I felt light headed. lol. Way too intense for me. I do plan to purchase some to ingest in small quantities.

LiberTEAS

And once you’ve become more familiar with it, I think that it won’t leave you feeling quite so light headed … it is an intense experience the first few times, and I’m glad that you did get to finally try it!

Not gonna give a note to this one since that my first and only matcha at this time.

I find it good but without anything to compare that just a opinion my experience with matcha got a bad start. Green matcha trigger seasonal allergy in me ( like during the summer puffy and itchy eyes and all the other symptom that goes with it ) I’m not exactly sure why that happen no other green tea does that i will follow advice from fellow steepster and try white or black matcha ( thanks Azzrian for that i wasn’t even aware than non green matcha existed )

Azzrian

Happy to help :)

I am in love with the Starbucks Green Tea Latte. Well today I made my own with this Matcha. And it was amazing. I am so glad I got some of this. I see many Matcha Latte’s in my future. Made it with Vanilla Almond milk and a small amount of agave. Yummy.

I bought this tea for my mom for mother’s day. I found it on the kitchen shelf today and it’s still brand new. =( Okie. I figure this tea would be better under my belly than on the shelf. Ahh… a good tea in deed. I like the texture and the great matcha taste. I also cut a slide of cheese cake and sprinkled some powder on the cake. =) Happilicious!

Okay so Ive always wanted to try matcha and maybe buy some so I can make some green tea frapps. I went down to my DT during my lunch break today and was quite nervous to buy this matcha because I have never tried it before and was scared that I wasnt going to prepare it right, mostly because I dont own any proper equiptment (whisk and measuring spoon). So I just made some (whisking with a whisk used for like pancakes and what not) and OMG it is amazing!!! It is actually GREEN, and does not taste strong straight (i always prefer my green teas straight) Now I am so excited and I think Im going to buy 100g more and maybe(most likely) a new colourful tea tin for it! (:

Invader Zim

You don’t really need the proper equipment. I got the matcha gift set from Teavana when they had their big sale after Christmas (originally $70 got it for $17). Plus my mother-in-law got me the bamboo tool kit that includes the scoop. Before that I used a regular, yet small, whisk and a bowl and it came out just fine. Not quite as frothy, but still just as tasty.

I had this as a latte from the shop on my way to class as I needed to wake up and be able to pay attention.

I was very pleased! I don’t know why I hadn’t thought to have a matcha latte to go before, but this is the first one I’ve felt is really flavourful even with the milk. I drink matcha often at home but had never tried any form of matcha latte, usually fearing it would be too sweet. I didn’t have any sweetener in this and it was delicious.

The matcha matsu was quite nice, as far as I could tell. It was flavourful but actually pretty delicate. It didn’t taste bitter or chalky or any of those bad things. I will wait to rate it until I try it straight, though.