Cinnamon Heart

Pu-erh Tea
Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Peel, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pu Erh Tea
Cinnamon, Musty, Hay, Spices, Orange Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Better than candy

OK, so this tea doesn’t really have cinnamon hearts in it, but you’ll be forgiven for thinking it does. It’s a sweet blend of Sri Lankan cinnamon, spices, lemon, pu’erh and Chinese black tea. Unlike candy, however, this tea has no calories and no sugar rush. Just a nice jolt of caffeine from the pu’erh. So indulge away.

Ingredients: Chinese cooked pu’erh tea, Chinese black tea, lemon, cloves, cinnamon. With artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Finally a Puerh that I don’t dislike! It smells just like cinnamon heart candies and it tastes like very strong cinnamon, with a hint of puerh. I think I would like it as a latté.

Flavors: Cinnamon

Sipdown!

I’ve been dreading trying this one for a while now as cinnamon hearts have never been a favourite of mine, but I vowed to finish the sweetheart collection before breaking into my new teas (only one more to go). Tried it as a latte in the hopes that it would make it more tolerable. Overall, it was actually pretty good. Not as intensely cinnamon-y as I had feared. The tea base is present too, but not overly earthy as some pu-erhs can be. Wouldn’t buy it again, but was pleasantly surprised.

Flavors: Cinnamon

I know the other day I was bitching about David’s Tea but I did go in there today to buy a couple of blends I actually like from them (Coco Chai Rooibos and Chocolate Rocket).

This seems to be one of those teas that people either love or hate. I thought I was going to be in the “love” category myself because when I first tasted it I thought it was pretty good. I like cinnamon and clove, and they seemed to be nicely done in this tea. But as this is cooling off I am getting the fishy smell that other people noticed. I drink a lot of puer and I can tell you that this is not really normal for me to have this reaction to puer. I think maybe the puer they used just isn’t such a great quality. It’s a shame since this could have been such a great tea, but cinnamon and fish don’t go together at all.

Meanwhile I am kicking myself for succumbing to this…. F*uck I’m not sure I can finish my cup! Why did I do it???? It smells “rotten”

Maddy Barone

I had the same reaction. Boo

TeaBrat

I am hoping I can take it back!

Maddy Barone

Some one suggested to me that I steep it for 5 or 10 seconds, then dump it out, rinse the cup and steep again properly. I’m going to try it, but … I dunno, it tasted bad to me.

TeaBrat

I will try it too. I’ve “rinsed” puerhs in the past but don’t normally do that with flavored puerhs since it rinses off some of the flavoring.

I tried this a third time. Actually brewed a whole cup for 4 minutes, then dumped the tea and rinsed the leaves before brewing the cup I drank. Nope. Still not doing it for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I have an unopened 50 gram packet of chocolate orange pu’erh. I hesitate to open it. Maybe my friend Athena would enjoy it.

Lindsay

I actually tried that a couple of weeks ago and surprised myself by liking it!

Maddy Barone

I had it a year ago or so when I was in the store in Winnipeg, and I remember enjoying it. That’s why I ordered it. Oh, well.

Lindsay

Can’t win ’em all. :)

Sad to say, this tea was the loser in my DAVIDsTEA chai/spice taste-off… But that might be because it was competing with two more complex blends.The cinnamon here just tasted so flat and one-note, compared to the teas with more spices. And while I don’t hate pu-erh, this particular blend does have a slight fishy smell to it once it’s steeped, which was more noticeable alongside the other teas.

Still, the cinnamon flavor does resemble those candy cinnamon hearts, which is cool. Maybe I’ll try it again in a month or two, to see if I’ve changed my mind, then decide what to do with the rest. It’s getting pretty old, so I don’t want to keep it much longer if it’s just going to take up space in my cupboard.

Sipdown!

I’ve had a sample of this for a while and put off trying it after striking out with the previously-adored Coffee Pu’erh.. I probably haven’t stored this all that well (zip lock baggie), but it still smells strongly of cinnamon. Taste wise it’s a lot of hay with the cinnamon adding a faint heat. Not bad, but I like Hot Cinnamon Spice so much better.

Still, I’m glad I got to try this one!

Flavors: Hay, Spices

Another tea from my sample pack. I figured that the evening after a big meal was the perfect time to try out a pu’erh like this. Its smell definitely lives up to its name – it’s almost identical to those spicy cinnamon heart candies the stores sell for Valentine’s Day. The flavour starts of well – sweet, cinammon-y and rather candy-like. But then it just fades off into nothing leaving a sort of weak, dirt-like aftertaste. I’m not really getting any of the earthy richness that generally characterizes a good pu-erh. It’s rather disappointing.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
gmathis

Too bad: I would think the cinnamon/pu combination would fit nicely.

Jillian

Yeah, I was really keen on trying this one. I think the problem is with the pu-erh base that Davids Tea uses as I’ve been less than thrilled with some of their other flavoured pu-erhs as well.

My favourite tea. Ever!

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I have to be honest, I’m not a fan of this tea on its own (I often mix it with Hot Lips for a powerful punch). I do appreciate that it is true to its smell and what you expect. It is a cinnamon pu’reh with a touch of orange. I think it’s because I’m not a fan of pu’reh teas. I often find they taste like 4 month old aquarium water, and who wants to drink cinnamon flavoured aquarium water? There is clove in this tea, however I smell it more than I am able to taste it. Again, I could not imagine this tea cold…. Blah!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange Zest

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

This tea isn’t bad if you’re looking for something spicy, although if you’re really in persuit of spice you should check out Hot Lips which combines both cinnamon and chili peppers. Overall, a noticable enough cinnamon taste but probably not as strong as I would have liked.