Cinnamon Heart

Pu-erh Tea
Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Peel, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pu Erh Tea
Cinnamon, Earth, Orange Zest, Musty, Hay, Spices
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Better than candy

OK, so this tea doesn’t really have cinnamon hearts in it, but you’ll be forgiven for thinking it does. It’s a sweet blend of Sri Lankan cinnamon, spices, lemon, pu’erh and Chinese black tea. Unlike candy, however, this tea has no calories and no sugar rush. Just a nice jolt of caffeine from the pu’erh. So indulge away.

Ingredients: Chinese cooked pu’erh tea, Chinese black tea, lemon, cloves, cinnamon. With artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m going to go against the crowd and say that I actually quite like this one. It’s nearly Christmas, it tastes of cinnamon…that makes it nearly perfect in my book. It’s a little bit simple, maybe, but it’s festive. It’s cheering up my work morning, that’s for sure!

My main complaint about this one is that it’s promoted as a pu’erh, but there doesn’t actually appear to be all that much pu’erh in the overall blend. It certainly doesn’t show up much in the flavour, other than as a mild background earthiness. According to the ingredients list, it also contains black tea as a base – more of that than the pu’erh, I suspect. Still, that’s okay, because I’m drinking this one for the cinnamon and not the pu’erh…I’ve plenty of those I could drink if that’s what I wanted.

I’m enjoying the flavour of this one, for the moment. I think the novelty will probably wear off after a couple of cups, but for right now it’s a sweet, strongly cinnamon blend, and very welcome pre-Christmas.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Well, I don’t hate this tea – I just don’t like the dry smell of it… The cinnamon smells good, but there’s this weird, off putting smell to it I can’t really place. I want to say it’s like a stinky smell, but not actually. I don’t know… I think it must be the cooked pu-erh… The brewed tea itself tastes pretty good, though. I usually have this as a latte, but tonight I’m having just a hot cup with a little sugar. I like cinnamon as long as it’s not too overpowering, like this tea, the cinnamon blends well with the orange peel and it’s not too strong for my liking.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Earth, Orange Zest

This tea made me realize I’m not a fan of cinnamon. I like chai but the cinnamon needs to be more subtle than this.

Flavors: Cinnamon

Finally a Puerh that I don’t dislike! It smells just like cinnamon heart candies and it tastes like very strong cinnamon, with a hint of puerh. I think I would like it as a latté.

Sipdown!

I’ve been dreading trying this one for a while now as cinnamon hearts have never been a favourite of mine, but I vowed to finish the sweetheart collection before breaking into my new teas (only one more to go). Tried it as a latte in the hopes that it would make it more tolerable. Overall, it was actually pretty good. Not as intensely cinnamon-y as I had feared. The tea base is present too, but not overly earthy as some pu-erhs can be. Wouldn’t buy it again, but was pleasantly surprised.

Flavors: Cinnamon

I know the other day I was bitching about David’s Tea but I did go in there today to buy a couple of blends I actually like from them (Coco Chai Rooibos and Chocolate Rocket).

This seems to be one of those teas that people either love or hate. I thought I was going to be in the “love” category myself because when I first tasted it I thought it was pretty good. I like cinnamon and clove, and they seemed to be nicely done in this tea. But as this is cooling off I am getting the fishy smell that other people noticed. I drink a lot of puer and I can tell you that this is not really normal for me to have this reaction to puer. I think maybe the puer they used just isn’t such a great quality. It’s a shame since this could have been such a great tea, but cinnamon and fish don’t go together at all.

Meanwhile I am kicking myself for succumbing to this…. F*uck I’m not sure I can finish my cup! Why did I do it???? It smells “rotten”

Maddy Barone

I had the same reaction. Boo

TeaBrat

I am hoping I can take it back!

Maddy Barone

Some one suggested to me that I steep it for 5 or 10 seconds, then dump it out, rinse the cup and steep again properly. I’m going to try it, but … I dunno, it tasted bad to me.

TeaBrat

I will try it too. I’ve “rinsed” puerhs in the past but don’t normally do that with flavored puerhs since it rinses off some of the flavoring.

I tried this a third time. Actually brewed a whole cup for 4 minutes, then dumped the tea and rinsed the leaves before brewing the cup I drank. Nope. Still not doing it for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I have an unopened 50 gram packet of chocolate orange pu’erh. I hesitate to open it. Maybe my friend Athena would enjoy it.

Lindsay

I actually tried that a couple of weeks ago and surprised myself by liking it!

Maddy Barone

I had it a year ago or so when I was in the store in Winnipeg, and I remember enjoying it. That’s why I ordered it. Oh, well.

Lindsay

Can’t win ’em all. :)

Sad to say, this tea was the loser in my DAVIDsTEA chai/spice taste-off… But that might be because it was competing with two more complex blends.The cinnamon here just tasted so flat and one-note, compared to the teas with more spices. And while I don’t hate pu-erh, this particular blend does have a slight fishy smell to it once it’s steeped, which was more noticeable alongside the other teas.

Still, the cinnamon flavor does resemble those candy cinnamon hearts, which is cool. Maybe I’ll try it again in a month or two, to see if I’ve changed my mind, then decide what to do with the rest. It’s getting pretty old, so I don’t want to keep it much longer if it’s just going to take up space in my cupboard.

Sipdown!

I’ve had a sample of this for a while and put off trying it after striking out with the previously-adored Coffee Pu’erh.. I probably haven’t stored this all that well (zip lock baggie), but it still smells strongly of cinnamon. Taste wise it’s a lot of hay with the cinnamon adding a faint heat. Not bad, but I like Hot Cinnamon Spice so much better.

Still, I’m glad I got to try this one!

Flavors: Hay, Spices