Assam Banaspaty (organic)

Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I bought a few sampler packs from DT's a couple weeks ago to get a feel for the range of their teas. This was in the manly-packaged "The Tea Aficionado" - a selection of 5 "mannish" teas in...” Read full tasting note
    WillWorkForTea 135 tasting notes
  • “Sipdowwwwn Sunday! With Dad's help, I managed to get three down and made progress on some others. They were mostly samples though. And I suppose saying "three" is kinda cheating since one of them...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1307 tasting notes
  • “Happy Easter/Passover, Steepster Comrades!! Yesterday, Easter brunch was at my house. Mother, brother, sister, Stepfather, they’re all coffee addicts in the morning… Only Mr. Right supports me...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 401 tasting notes
  • “This is a dark amber brew. This is probably one of my favourite straight blacks at DAVIDsTEA. It is bold and a tad astringent. I am not quite used to drinking such a bold tea. So for me (as much...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

From the little Banaspaty estate in the Karbi Anglong district of India, this impressive Assam has a naturally sweet and malty body, a full red colour and a complexity that can handle a nice splash of milk. Plus this European export quality tea is organic and fair trade, which makes it good for you and for the people growing and producing it. Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I bought a few sampler packs from DT’s a couple weeks ago to get a feel for the range of their teas. This was in the manly-packaged “The Tea Aficionado” – a selection of 5 “mannish” teas in cigar-shaped tubes. Yes, I’m a sucker for packaging… and for manly stuff (I’m a man’s woman, or so I’ve been told)…

Anyway, I’m on an unflavored black kick today (oddly), so this is my second tea of the day. Brewed 3 grams in 8 oz of water at the below parameters. The resulting liquor is very dark – it matches the black-brown color of my furniture!

Uh, wow – this is quite a change from the Bailin Gongfu black tea I had this morning. This one slaps you in the face and demands your attention!

Quite bitter upon first sip, I immediately reached for the milk and sugar to calm this cup down. There’s still a bitterness underneath the additions, but it’s much more manageable now. There’s a slight honey undertone that I’m also getting…

This goes nicely lemon squares, by the way! :)

Overall I like it and will probably keep this around on those days that I really need help focusing, which sometimes is a lot!

Bonnie

Maybe this was meant to drink with a cigar?! Like Lapsang Souchong goes alongside Whiskey!

Will Work For Tea

I was a little surprised the LS wasn’t in this sampler. I guess the Toasted Walnut is manlier?!

Azzrian

Sounds good really! I am also a sucker for packaging and tend to like the manly stuff as well – I think it reminds me of the fake father I have developed in my head lol

Bonnie

Mine is a fake boyfriend!

Kittenna

Toasted Walnut manlier than LS??? I think someone made a mistake there!!! What’s manlier than a tea that smells like a campfire? :P

Bonnie

A tea that smells like a gym full of sweaty men!

Bonnie

Sweaty men with a platter of bacon!

Sipdowwwwn Sunday! With Dad’s help, I managed to get three down and made progress on some others. They were mostly samples though. And I suppose saying “three” is kinda cheating since one of them is a Darjeeling I am planning to ice in the fridge for tomorrow. Nonethelss, prepare to be tea spammed :)
As for the tea, it was good. Malty but not as much as I’d like. Not surprising since this is over a year old.
Funny, I’m not sad to see this one go, despite the fond memories.

Happy Easter/Passover, Steepster Comrades!!

Yesterday, Easter brunch was at my house. Mother, brother, sister, Stepfather, they’re all coffee addicts in the morning… Only Mr. Right supports me in my tea drinking.
So as usual, I made a gigantic pot of coffee. But as a true advocate of the tea cause, I also made a large pot of Assam Banaspaty. Can a girl be blamed for trying to convert a few people from time to time?

I ask my Stepfather: «Want to try some Assam Banaspaty ? His reply: «Assam who? They make dictator tea now? » (Thinks he’s being funny) «Not SADAM, ASSAM!!! It’s an excellent black Indian tea. » (Love my stepdad, but he takes pleasure of hiding the fact that he’s an educated man sometimes.)

«Tea is for little girls my darling, real men don’t associate with tea» says he, egg yolk dripping from his chin, now how manly is that??

Don’t I love a challenge!!

«If you try it, I’ll make extra pancakes just for you. » «Bring it on, then!» (Men are weak this way)

I pour the tea in a new cup, don’t want any coffee contamination. «Sooo??? »

« I’ve tasted worst things, but it’s got nothing on coffee! »

Translation: « I’m not saying I would stop drinking coffee for it, but to my surprise, I really enjoy it, way better than expected!) Happy me, he likes it!!!

So the brunch went on, and so did his tea drinking. Not only did he finish his cup, but he poured another one! Said he did it only to honor me and my pancakes…What a gentleman!

This tea is just the perfect homey breakfast tea. It has everything you need to support a good meal. The taste is fantastic, just the right amount of everything you want out of a plain black tea. Very malty, and not bitter unless you steep it too long.

It definitely has a place in my cupboard, oops just ran out!

Bonnie

Love your tit for tat dialogue!

Indigobloom

A tea convert on the way… make him try a Lapsang or Pu-erh next. That’s scare the man in him :P

Bonnie

Or put hair on his chin with the egg!

Bonnie

Sorry guys (men) not making too much fun of your breed, come to think of it, the reason I took so long to come to the tea side is because I thought you had to use dainty cups and sit in flowered tea rooms…it was too fru fru for me. My daughter loves that stuff.

TheTeaFairy

hahaha!
Indigobloom: nevermind, Lapsang and Pu’erh are still scaring ME sometimes! But I’m working on that…
Bonnie: the egg was plenty believe me, let’s not add to it! And let’’s hope he will never see the words fru fru associated with tea cause that will be the end of his conversion!
P.S. so pleased with the fact that tea lovers have emancipated to something other than a stuck up breed!!

Bonnie

Oh boy, I’m going to send you some Puerh and Lapsang!

K S

just tp let you know, guys will do fru fru if you wrap it in bacon! mmm bacon.

TheTeaFairy

K S: you’re a funny guy, aren’t you? Bacon always works, should have thought of that!
Bonnie: you had suggested DT Chocolate orange and Coffee pu’erh. I bought them and will review shortly. I have yet to try my Ripened Aged Pu-erh Mini Tuocha (those little things worry me a bit, fishy tasting maybe?)
As for Lapsang, I have only tried DT, and boy was it smokey! Still not sure if I liked it or hated it, if that makes any sense! Feel free to give me more suggestions :)

Indigobloom

ugh the lapsang from DT was my least fave. Try another tea house for that!

Bonnie

I have a toned down lapsang souchong that I should send you some of…has jasmine that is like popcorn! Instead of floral it mellows the smoke. My local tea shop blends it. (Happy Luckys) it’s called Lion and Lamb.

This is a dark amber brew. This is probably one of my favourite straight blacks at DAVIDsTEA. It is bold and a tad astringent. I am not quite used to drinking such a bold tea. So for me (as much as I don’t like to have additions), with milk, the maltiness really shines. It just isn’t the same without the milk.

This is not my favourite black tea, but it is definitely good and I would possibly keep some around. I would like to try some other assams from some other companies as well.

gmathis

Culinary Teas has some nice Assams, and their sample packets are very reasonable.

tigress_al

Thanks, I might have to check them out when I finish up this assam.

Purchased this on a morning when I did not feel like drinking coffee but wanted something strong. Another tea that was prepared by the David’s Tea staff.

I found this to be quite a strong cuppa. They did add soymilk but when I got back to the condo I was staying, I ended up adding some more. A good stout assam, with plenty of malt and a bit of sweetness. I particularly like the fact that this one is organic and free trade. Made a good breakfast tea for yours truly.

(First off, what is up with Steepster?? Every time I type in the web page initially I get the annoying “Oops. Someone left the kettle on…” page! What is going on? Is it just me or are other people experiencing this too? Okay, rant over.)

Alright, on to this tea.

The moment I open the bag I am hit with memories… memories of tea with my proper Scottish-descent Grandma in her china laden dining room, and of my dad taking me out for tea after my ballet class at the age of five (always loading my tea with far too much sugar + cream) to the local tea house. Strange how smells can elicit such strong emotional responses. To me, this is the tea people drink during “afternoon tea” or in tea houses. This is the kind of tea that an English (or Scottish) person would drink when feeling homesick for the homeland of their ancestors, as my Grandma and her son, my Dad, do.

It’s strong, malty, slightly smoky, and holds up to milk + sugar. The tea of memories…

Sadly, this tea is done. Today’s cup is the last of the 50g I ordered from David’s Tea. I am very sad to see it go, it is a wonderful tea. One of my favorites from DT, in fact. Malty and rich, it hits the spot for this former morning coffee drinker. After I tried Assam Banaspaty, it quickly became my go-to for the mornings, which is why it is gone so fast. Now I has a sad. I won’t be re-ordering it immediately, mainly because I want to place an order from Upton in the near future and want to try some of their Assams (must try more!).

Made for me at DavidsTea — not sure of the measurement, mayb 1.5 tsp for their hot cup (350mL?)

While picking up a new-to-me herbal and some blends I cannot get at my local indie tea store (what can I say? I steep around), I tried a cup of Assam Banaspaty. The hot water at DavidsTea is too damn hot for oolong, green or white, which baffles me, but it’s just grand for rooibos and black. With their $1 straight tea promo, and the hail and wet snow falling this morning, an Assam sounded good.

This is a compeltely acceptable Assam, with all the good Assam characteristics. It finishes sweet and a bit mineral and tastes pleasantly malty. It lacks, however, a good body and heft. It’s hardly a weak tea, and it seems to pack the caffeine, but Assam from the Gingia and Kopili estates seem to have aheavier body. (Damn Fine’s Captain Assam is in a class, or ship, by itself.) It’s a good Assam, no bitterness after a six-minute steep, no faults, but no real ‘wow’ factor, either.

Rating:78.

Wayne

If the staff is trained well, they’ll actually add some cold water to the hot water before adding the tea. Pretty sure they did something like that for my oolong, since it wasn’t even too hot to drink when I got it.

Michelle Butler Hallett

The cold water addition is all well and good, but DavidsTea makes a big deal of water temp (rightly) on the tea labels, so why don’t they have at least two different water temps on the go, one for black and herbal, and a slightly cooler one for oolong, green and white? Scalded leaves are not going to entice anyone to the joys of oolong, white and green, unless all that extra flavouring hides the bitterness of scalded leaves. Personally, I’d be annoyed to see anyone (making tea for me) dunk tea into water rather than pour water onto tea. I’m still sore over the wrecked cup of vanilla oolong from a few weeks ago.

I just hit a new low in tea-dorkdom with this comment.

Wayne

I find it difficult when talking to friends and colleagues about tea not to go into a downward spiral of tea-dorkdom, and I often find myself rambling and asking myself “wait, do they really care..?” :P

And I know what you mean about the “dunking” – it just seems wrong, somehow.

It’s a very strong and flavorful tea. I like my tea full flavored so usually full recommended steeping time works for me but 6 minutes makes this tea very malty, almost bitter even though I rinse my tea all the time. Not something that necessarily works in the morning taste-wise, but wakes you up just right. Has a very distinct honey aftertaste. 3 steeps is what I get from this tea and second and third steeps are completely different from the first one, very light and delicious tea, almost sweet. As long as you can play with the first steep just to get it right to your taste it’s a highly recommended tea.

LucLPN

How much tea do you use per 8oz and how long are your 2nd and 3rd steeps? And how different do they come out?

Daniil

Just saw your comment so sorry for later response.

I think it’s always better to put more tea and steep it shorter time especially if you’re interested in different flavors. Assam really seems to have a punch a first time so perhaps keeping it around 2-3 mins with 1.5-2 teaspoons should be sufficient, after you can be less strict, once the initial bitterness is gone I got refined flavors (I’d say around 5mins and 7mins for consequent).

Regardless you will need to adjust it to your tastes, needless to say.

LucLPN

Thank you Daniil for your recommendation and I would like to apologize for not thanking you earlier… I forgot I had asked you this question. :/

Next time I brew this tea I’ll try what you suggested. Again, thank you!

Daniil

Haha, no worries, glad I could help.

Guh… love. this. tea. AND I found out that it’ll only cost me a $1 more a tin than my current go-to black tea. Hmmmmm…

This was the perfect afternoon hunker-down-and-work tea earlier today. So smooth and creamy and wow. I now feel the need to revisit all the blacks that I have rejected in the past, only now in the DT collection. This could get pricey…

EDIT: I am horrible with math. It will not cost me a dollar more a tin, but THREE. And yet…

Uniquity

If you refill a tin you already have from them, I think they give you a $.50 or $1 discount… : )

Kay Kanada

Yup, 50 cents. I still use the same morning tea tin that I bought three years ago. Although now whenever I go in for a refill the salesperson always tries to offer me a new tin. I’m sorry, but the dents give it character!

Uniquity

They replaced a couple of covers for me – One was so dented I could barely get it out of the tin. Tough little nuggets!