Assam Banaspaty (organic)

Malt, Astringent, Pleasantly Sour, Tart, Autumn Leaf Pile
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From the little Banaspaty estate in the Karbi Anglong district of India, this impressive Assam has a naturally sweet and malty body, a full red colour and a complexity that can handle a nice splash of milk. Plus this European export quality tea is organic and fair trade, which makes it good for you and for the people growing and producing it. Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Okay, as promised I revisited this one today in the middle of the day to give it a fair chance. And I tossed milk and sugar in since that’s how I prefer my straight blacks.

It has redeemed itself. Actually with milk and sugar it’s a delightful cup that may become one of my black tea staples in my cupboard. There’s definitely malt and astringency but at the same time with the milk it mellows to a great morning kick, which is what I prefer.

I dislike sweetening my tea or adding anything to make it taste better, but this Assam Banaspaty needs something. I added a small amount of grenadine (fruit syrup), and now it’s actually pretty enjoyable to drink. :)

I’m down to the last couple of teaspoons of this, but every cup is going to have a bit of grenadine. I can’t stand how sharp tasting this is by itself.

The dry leaves have not much scent at all, but once brewed it smells very nice. I find that there’s something sweet and sugary about the smell, even a bit fruity. It smells somehow familiar. What is that??
The taste is not so sweet, very malty as I believe Assams are known to be. Somehow it seems astringent without being mouth-drying. I liked the Nepal black more, but this is nice. A good tea for a rainy day maybe.

It’s unapologetically bold, in your face kind of tea. It’s malty and strong. I don’t mind some bitterness in a black tea and I don’t get the milk and sugar thing … Milk and sugar is for wussies!
Retiring to my library to smoke some cigars :)

The dry tea leaves smell very bold, malty and almost chocolatey. It is really quite fun nice watching the leaves unfurl and pop to the surface of the water.

The brew smells just like the leaves except much more potent! It’s very difficult to describe the smell, but it does smell quite phenomenal. The liquor is a vibrant red colour, transparent and very pleasing to look at while drinking from a glass teacup!

As for the taste, I’m a huge fan! I come from a background of green tea, so black teas are a recent endeavour of mine. I really like the boldness of this tea. It really packs a punch with it’s maltiness and really wakes you up after only a few sips… quite a powerful tea! This tea is a bit astringent, but if you can get over that, I highly recommend it to black tea lovers!

I think I get this tea now (that I’m almost done the bag.. :( ), though I still think milk/cream brings out its best attributes – i.e. malty sweetness. There could still be a place for it in my collection.

On sale at David’s Tea today. I am finding that I like malty, non-astringent black teas. Nothing fancy, but this one does it. It is a nice every day tea.

Flavors: Malt

I keep this on my desk at work for breakfast. It brews up nice and has a good flavor. It’s versatile. I like mine with a bit of lemon. It also handles milk and sugar well. I like it.

Flavors: Astringent, Malt, Pleasantly Sour, Tart

This is my current favorite black. I received it as a gift and am already halfway through the tin. It reminds me (in a pleasant way) of autumn leaves and I find it to be a great substitute for black coffee.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile

1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

Bought this on a whim as there was a tin for $3.60 on sale at the mall after Christmas. I figured it would be a good one to bring to work for my morning cuppa!

I LOVE Damn Fine Tea’s Tiger Assam, and I was hoping this might come close. But it didn’t. It’s way cheaper and easily accessible, however. So as I continue to hoard my Tiger Assam at home, this will be just fine for mornings at work with some milk.

I didn’t find it overly malty though. It sure was strong, just not nearly as flavourful as I’ve come to expect from my quality assams.

But for $3.60 – who cares!?

I always read the name of this one as bananasplaty.