Assam Banaspaty (organic)

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I bought a few sampler packs from DT's a couple weeks ago to get a feel for the range of their teas. This was in the manly-packaged "The Tea Aficionado" - a selection of 5 "mannish" teas in...” Read full tasting note
    WillWorkForTea 135 tasting notes
  • “Sipdowwwwn Sunday! With Dad's help, I managed to get three down and made progress on some others. They were mostly samples though. And I suppose saying "three" is kinda cheating since one of them...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1258 tasting notes
  • “Happy Easter/Passover, Steepster Comrades!! Yesterday, Easter brunch was at my house. Mother, brother, sister, Stepfather, they’re all coffee addicts in the morning… Only Mr. Right supports me...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 172 tasting notes
  • “This is a dark amber brew. This is probably one of my favourite straight blacks at DAVIDsTEA. It is bold and a tad astringent. I am not quite used to drinking such a bold tea. So for me (as much...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

From the little Banaspaty estate in the Karbi Anglong district of India, this impressive Assam has a naturally sweet and malty body, a full red colour and a complexity that can handle a nice splash of milk. Plus this European export quality tea is organic and fair trade, which makes it good for you and for the people growing and producing it. Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

“I got you a cup of tea!” “Yay! What kind?” “Assam . . . bananagrams.”

My bananagrams was delicious, though. A very nice sweet little black.

Ninavampi

Bananagrams! : )

Kay Kanada

Aww man! I will never be able to call it by its true name again, it shall forever be Assam Bananagrams…

Okay, as promised I revisited this one today in the middle of the day to give it a fair chance. And I tossed milk and sugar in since that’s how I prefer my straight blacks.

It has redeemed itself. Actually with milk and sugar it’s a delightful cup that may become one of my black tea staples in my cupboard. There’s definitely malt and astringency but at the same time with the milk it mellows to a great morning kick, which is what I prefer.

I dislike sweetening my tea or adding anything to make it taste better, but this Assam Banaspaty needs something. I added a small amount of grenadine (fruit syrup), and now it’s actually pretty enjoyable to drink. :)

I’m down to the last couple of teaspoons of this, but every cup is going to have a bit of grenadine. I can’t stand how sharp tasting this is by itself.

The dry leaves have not much scent at all, but once brewed it smells very nice. I find that there’s something sweet and sugary about the smell, even a bit fruity. It smells somehow familiar. What is that??
The taste is not so sweet, very malty as I believe Assams are known to be. Somehow it seems astringent without being mouth-drying. I liked the Nepal black more, but this is nice. A good tea for a rainy day maybe.

It’s unapologetically bold, in your face kind of tea. It’s malty and strong. I don’t mind some bitterness in a black tea and I don’t get the milk and sugar thing … Milk and sugar is for wussies!
Retiring to my library to smoke some cigars :)

The dry tea leaves smell very bold, malty and almost chocolatey. It is really quite fun nice watching the leaves unfurl and pop to the surface of the water.

The brew smells just like the leaves except much more potent! It’s very difficult to describe the smell, but it does smell quite phenomenal. The liquor is a vibrant red colour, transparent and very pleasing to look at while drinking from a glass teacup!

As for the taste, I’m a huge fan! I come from a background of green tea, so black teas are a recent endeavour of mine. I really like the boldness of this tea. It really packs a punch with it’s maltiness and really wakes you up after only a few sips… quite a powerful tea! This tea is a bit astringent, but if you can get over that, I highly recommend it to black tea lovers!

I think I get this tea now (that I’m almost done the bag.. :( ), though I still think milk/cream brings out its best attributes – i.e. malty sweetness. There could still be a place for it in my collection.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a straight black tea. This is a rich, malty tea with a deep amber color. It tastes like your basic everyday black tea. No complaints but not raving either.

I haven’t tried many Assam, got this as a sample & now understand how a tea can be “malty”. It’s gorgeous! But I will steep for the minimum next time as it got a little heavy after sitting.

Will definitely be stocking up on this!

Flavors: Malt

6 min, 0 sec 5 g 24 OZ / 709 ML

Sunday Sample Sipdown #1!

I got this as a sample packet with my David’s Tea order and just put the whole thing into a single pot.

I’m still finding my footing when it comes to black tea, but I’m to judge by this sample, I don’t think unflavoured Assams are the tea for me. It wasn’t astringent, but it was a little bitter, and not naturally sweet. I didn’t taste much of a “malty” taste, either, if by “malty” most people mean “roasted and grain-like”. Ah well. Not for me.

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 24 OZ / 709 ML