Assam Banaspaty (organic)

Malt, Astringent, Pleasantly Sour, Tart, Autumn Leaf Pile
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From the little Banaspaty estate in the Karbi Anglong district of India, this impressive Assam has a naturally sweet and malty body, a full red colour and a complexity that can handle a nice splash of milk. Plus this European export quality tea is organic and fair trade, which makes it good for you and for the people growing and producing it. Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I should have tried this before I added my milk and sugar but I didn’t so this is a review based on the after. haha

So far, I LOVE this tea. It’s sweet and malty, which is what I love in a black tea. I’ve come to realize this over the last few years. I’m not one for the floral black teas (although, since being pregnant, I have one decaff floral black tea that isn’t too bad).

Anyways, this one is a strong flavour that definitely can handle milk. It’s strong in a good way though. It’s not strong in a bad way where it’s in your face. It’s just right.
So far, I’m loving this tea.

Sounds good! I am a sweet and malty lady, too. :)

Nice! Malty, bold, full bodied!

Flavors: Malt

It’s been a while since I’ve had a straight black tea. This is a rich, malty tea with a deep amber color. It tastes like your basic everyday black tea. No complaints but not raving either.

Sunday Sample Sipdown #1!

I got this as a sample packet with my David’s Tea order and just put the whole thing into a single pot.

I’m still finding my footing when it comes to black tea, but I’m to judge by this sample, I don’t think unflavoured Assams are the tea for me. It wasn’t astringent, but it was a little bitter, and not naturally sweet. I didn’t taste much of a “malty” taste, either, if by “malty” most people mean “roasted and grain-like”. Ah well. Not for me.

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 24 OZ / 709 ML

A nice strong black tea. Beware of over-steeping, becomes astringent if steeped over, say, 5 minutes. Either way, a great way to start the day.

Good but not amazing. The taste for me falls between English breakfast and Kenyan Tindret. I think I expected too much from this tea but I’ll see how I feel after I finish the 25g I have.

I actually didn’t love this tea. Could be the malt but I found that it left a funny after taste. I may try it with various milk/sweetener combinations to see if that makes a difference but so far this is not a re-purchase for me and I’m generally a HUGE DT fan.

I decided to try this tea on a whim and I am not regretting my decision. If you enjoy a brisk, strong and flavourful cup of tee, then try this tea. A dash of milk is always a necessity for me when drinking this tea. It’s great for mornings when you need a kick to get ready for the day.

After trying a couple of Darjeelings (and liking them) I tried the shop’s other recommendation for a full straight black tea – the Assam. This tea is full with flavour, but with delicate overtones – almost malty but with bite. Definitely good with a dash of milk. Not as astringent as a Darjeeling.