Japanese Sencha (organic)

Sencha
Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air... how could I let...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 739 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there's just a single cup left :) I think this tea's a little old now, but it's still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2273 tasting notes
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven't had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It's very light with...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I actually quite enjoyed this one today, but I think in the future I would save it for when I’m eating sushi or another light rice based meal.

This is what I love in a green tea, a roasty almost nutty flavour with a sharpness that reminds me of flavoured seaweed snacks.

I must have steeped with the perfect water temperature – no bitter. I feel like I would have to try hard to screw this one up actually.

Not one I would buy, but my sample will last a long while I think :)

If you treat this one right, it showers you with affection in the form of a delectable buttery spinach flavor with hints of roasted nuts. But if you neglect it by letting it steep for a few extra minutes, it becomes a little bitter (literally). Slightly high maintenance, yes, but so worth it. It’s a nice, flavorful basic green for the price. I think I need to try a few more before I find the perfect, everyday sencha. Not sure if this is it, but it’s definitely a contender.

yappychappy

I haven’t had much green tea :\

Yeah, much like my wife, De, I don’t care for sencha. I don’t care for greens in general, but I’m glad this came up with my brother was here, because he loves the stuff. Still, I’m glad to have tried it, but I think this is something I’ll only have in sushi restaurants. Not gonna rate it because frankly, it just isn’t my thing.

Cattibrie

I really enjoyed it this morning. Not one I think I would buy since I do have other greens I really love but I am glad I got to try it.

TeaBrat

we like what we like… I love japanese green tea but not sencha because it tends to be bitter IMO

Organic Japanese Sencha was today’s DT’s offering. I think I’m getting burned out on green. This one was okay, but I don’t think I’m that big a fan of Sencha. The smell of spinach was strong when I poured, and the resulting cup was very vegetal and grassy with a bit of astringency. As far as straight up greens go, I like the Emperor’s Clouds and Mist from Teavana better than the Japanese Sencha. There are processing differences, right? I don’t know. I had high hopes for this one, hoping to find a slightly cheaper straight up green that I liked as much as EC&M, but alas, this one was not to be.

Advent Calendar Day 15! I straight tea! I have learned a lot since last year when I was advent calendaring and was very conscious this time about steep time and water temp.

I had a truly delightful cup of this. The colour was a light bright green. The flavour was very light, sweet, and almost earthy as well. I haven’t been very into green teas, but drinkings this one the way I prepared it makes me want to try some more highly rated ones.

I . . . just don’t like sencha, I think. On the whole, I prefer Chinese greens over Japanese greens. I had some kind of sencha with lunch today, we gorged on sushi and teriyaki downtown and all ordered tea, and then today’s Advent Calendar tea was also sencha! What luck for me.

I did get the fishy overtone more than the grassiness, but I don’t really like either of those tastes. My brother who loves sencha enjoyed it, which I guess is all that really matters.

Another tea from the 2012 advent calendar that I’m only getting around to now. I like this one; it’s vegetal, buttery and filling.

A pretty basic green tea. Nothing spectacular. Grassy with a hint of a roasted flavor underneath. It can be re-steeped several times, which is nice (especially for a green tea). I don’t have a thermometer so I approximated the water temperature – it’s better to err on the cooler side. If the water is too hot the flavor of the tea is nonexistant. Oversteeping will yield bitterness, stay in the 2-3 minute range.

Day 15 of this tea …. finally almost caught up :) . So this is a change from the black, then rooibos and then herbal selections. I didn’t really the the aroma of this tea at first, but when I brewed it, the smell grew on me. I think I had to get used to the taste as well, I feel that it is a stronger green tea, but it is still quite tasty. And no, this wasn’t pink like 3 of the previous teas, it was a nice yellowy green. So its nice to see a change of color. Happy Drinking

I don’t know too much about green teas- (I see some posters are very technical about their teas!) all I know is this is a mild cup of green tea. There’s no bitter aftertaste to this tea when I brew it according to the instructions, so I like it :)