Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air... how could I let...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 739 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there's just a single cup left :) I think this tea's a little old now, but it's still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven't had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It's very light with...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Smells nice. Tastes okay.

Not much to say about it. Maybe on the second brew?

Huh. This is the mildest green tea I have ever tasted. Barely bitter, barely vegetal, barely there.

Day 11 of my 25 Days of Tea calendar.

Since becoming a DavidsTea devotee, I haven’t been drinking many unflavoured teas (and haven’t had any from DT!). I’ve ordered up lots of green tea from Den’s Tea, though, so maybe this is a good re-introduction.

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to green teas, so I don’t think I have a lot to say about David’s organic sencha. It’s nice. While I was brewing it, it smelled quite grassy so I was a bit worried. No need, though. It’s pleasant and mild. It tastes like the green tea served at some of the nicer Japanese restaurants I’ve been to, so I will interpret that as a good thing? With so many flavourful combinations out there I tend not to go for the straight teas, but this is nice and relaxing after dinner.

Pretty good, but forgettable compared to the other senchas I’ve had.

Tasted like I brewed a cup of grass clippings. Added 1 tsp of agave. No help. Had to throw away. Infused again from same group, same temp but only for 1 minute. Much better. Went back after drinking half a cup and added more water to it to diffuse even more. Now it resembles something I could drink on a regular basis. Reminds me of the tea we get at the pho restaurant. The sales person did tell me that it smelled different than the last batch of Japanese sencha they had in store, and that they had been out of it for a while. So perhaps because this was a super fresh crop was the reason for the strong grassy taste.

I’m not a big green tea drinker, and even less of a straight green tea drinker. But I’ve had this one much too long… almost a year and a half, so it’s time I drink it. It came in a pack that I haven’t drank through yet.

Anyway, this tea is light, but I’m finding it to be very vegetal. I’m definitely one for flavoured green teas rather than plain ones. I’m not hating this one, but it’s not something I’d get again. It’s just a personal preference.

needed a late evening pick me up (i don’t work until 2 tomorrow and I have a friend on their way over) so I brewed the perfect cup of Japanese Sencha!

I’m not sure about this one, it doesn’t taste very vegetal for a sencha.

nothing special, just a green tea (which can be good or bad depending on ur pallet) i didnt mind it though.

This tea is light, a little bit nutty and very smooth. I love the light green color – it looks beautiful in the small, Asian-style tea cups – I put it in a light cup since seeing it is part of the experience! In Japan they drink this all the time, since it goes with everything and my Japanese friends swear it is key to their slim figures (though I think genes play a major role!) I find that if I steep it incorrectly (ie. water is too hot) it gets quite bitter. I could see some people finding that this is too light and watery, but I find that refreshing. Definitely a part of my daily tea routine!