Japanese Sencha (organic)

Sencha
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air... how could I let...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 739 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there's just a single cup left :) I think this tea's a little old now, but it's still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven't had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It's very light with...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

Yumm.. have always loved green tea! This is a nice cup of tea to relax with in the evening – hopefully will still be able to sleep tonight.

This is a light grassy sencha that’s pleasant to drink, but it did seem a little bit weak. It has a mild vegetal scent and flavor that was refreshing, though I could have done without the seaweed undertones in this one. It’s decent enough, but not my favorite sencha.

My go to tea is and always will be a good green tea. In a perfect world, I’d be drinking tip top Gyokuro… but my wallet says otherwise. So since I had run out of my Gyokuro (which I got from Teavana when I worked there. I was only able to afford it because of the discount) I have switched over to Sencha.

This tea is the most affordable loose-leaf sencha I have tried yet that doesn’t sacrifice too much flavour. I am still satisfied whenever I drink this tea. Though it doesn’t give that same rich, buttery aroma like a gyokuro does, it’s still a great plain green tea.

I stock up on this!

it tastes like classic green tea. I guess that is the goal right? I love green tea. I like it because it is clean, plain and rustic, not a whole mish mash of overwhelming flavors, so it’s good when you are just looking to relax a bit (but not too much because there is some caffeine in it).

It was ok but not something I would reach for often so probably not worth purchasing. Green teas are my favourite but David’s has spoiled me and now I only want flavoured green teas!

Day 11 on my advent calendar

This is a nice surprise i’ve not tried many of the straight teas david’s has to offer so i am kind of looking forward to this.

Dry leaves smell very vegetal, steeped the liqueur has a lemon limey color and the smell reminds me of the milk oolong which i love, so i’m getting hopeful about this tea.

time to taste: bitter…i knew the water was too hot but darn i was excited… ok i’m not rating this and gonna give it another go

I use this tea to make iced green tea. I like it’s taste, I do not need much tea in my pitchet to make a strong tasting green iced tea and I can infuse it two times before it does not taste anything. I like less the fact that this tea taste a little bit like grass smells, but overall, i like this tea.