Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

Had this at work this afternoon. It was part of a gift set that I received from my co-worker for Christmas.

Smells nice and vegetal/grassy. Has quite a strong tangy aftertaste, but I probably overleafed/oversteeped slightly. Colour was interesting: almost neon lime green. Pretty good overall, a quality sencha. Aroma reminds me a bit of matcha.

I bought this for the second time yesterday! I really enjoy the flavor as it feels light to me. It is easy to drink because it doesn’t give me that “oh god I drank more than I should have…” feeling. Smooth, comforting and delicious. Not a low grade tasting tea leaf at all. :)

I haven’t actually had too many straight green teas so I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this.

I actually really enjoyed this. Vegetal, yes, but not overpowering. I got a real Japanese soup vibe from this, which is probably because of the seaweed notes. I could probably sip on this for a really long time before I got tired of it, but I’m not sure if I would go out of my way to pick some up.

Flavors: Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal

I’m not sure how I feel about this tea.
It’s got this weird flavor… I guess people are calling it briny or oceanic? I’ve never tasted that in a tea before, and I can’t decide whether or not I like it. (It’s interesting enough that I keep sipping, which is maybe promising.) Second steep has a sweet and salty aftertaste going on, almost scallopy. Huh.

Flavors: Ocean Breeze, Seaweed, Sweet

This is my second time trying this tea after having a cup prepared for me at the David’s Tea store. I actually got that as my free cup cause I wanted to get more into green teas. I liked it after trying it there so I bought a 2oz bag of it online.

I have to say, I think the reason why I didn’t like green tea before was because I was essentially burning the leaves and constantly getting bitter tea. (I finally got a temperature control kettle for Christmas) This tea is smooth and tastes like seaweed, salt and vegetal. After I brewed it, the smell was as if it was bitter so I was actually scared that I used water that was too hot but it was perfect.

I wanna see how many resteeps I can get out of the leaves.

Flavors: Bitter, Grass, Salt, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Advent calendar [16/24]

I was super looking forward to this one. I’ve made it a couple of times since I initially made it, and I’m thinking this tea needs a maximum of one minute to steep. I find it gets astringent really fast.

I like the plainness of this one. David’s doesn’t really do plain. I’m not sure I’d purchase this for myself because I think the territory for plain green teas is huge and unnavigated at this point.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Kristal

I like DAVIDs plain greens as well. They actually have a decent selection-more than a LOT of other more commercial companies (I’m thinking Steeped tea, celestial seasons, other bagged companies, etc).

This was one of the teas in my 24 Days of Tea calendar! I have never really had a straight green tea before, so I wanted to write a review on it.

This tea is better than I expected, though it is quite simple. I didn’t realize it had caffeine, so making it at 11:30pm was probably a bad idea haha (though at any other time I’d be fine with it having caffeine – I actually enjoy the caffeine). Perhaps I have let it steep longer than I should have (I’m not familiar with how to make straight green tea), but I find it to be kind of salty tasting. Maybe it’s just me? I’m not sure! I have noticed that people said it tastes seaweed-y, so maybe that’s what I am tasting. Not bad, just unexpected.

Overall, the tea isn’t awful. I am giving it a lower rating because I probably won’t buy any of it to keep a permanent stash. I’d drink it again, but I do prefer other David’s Tea green teas (ex. detox, toasted walnut, movie night).

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Salt, Seaweed