Japanese Sencha (organic)

Sencha
Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal, Grass
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

This is a normal straight green tea. It is not fancy and it tastes grassy and perhaps a bit bitter. When I want a simple straight green, I take this one.

A perfect green tea for anytime of the day! Super refreshing and smooth, I usually drink this tea in the morning before my run. It’s a very basic tasting green tea but sometimes basic is really all you need.

Kind of finicky green tea, wrong temperature, wrong steep time and this one gets undrinkable.

Today is Easter Sunday and I forced myself to get up from bed. That’s what you get from staying up so late and you know that you need to be up in the morning because you have to go to church… Anyways. Coming home and feeling I’ll catch a cold (sneezing, headache…), I decided I need a cup of green tea (I always prefer green tea). SO! I steeped this tea (from an unopened store-bought bag and this is my first time to try this tea).. . Now drinking it makes me feel relaxed and cold hands and feet and sneezing gone… If it’s only my thinking that this tea refreshes and relaxes, I don’t care.. At least I never fail to enjoy green tea every time…. Happy drinking, tea-lovers!

I thought I had already reviewed this one – oh well! I’m trying to drink more straight greens in my semi-serious New Year’s resolution to drink green tea every day, and I realised I had some of this that came with one of my Christmas presents. I don’t mind this (gasp, shock), but I liked the Sencha Ashikubo far better. Naturally, because that one is so much more expensive, LOL. My thing with greens is getting the water temperature decent, and I’m not sure I did with this one. Sigh. Maybe next time.

GCTTB

This sencha is okay but it’s lacking the nice spinach and body of some of the richer sencha’s. I think I prefer those senchas that border a little bit on the gyokuro side.

Interesting. I did a comparison between this and the Ashikubo Sencha by David, as I bought 10g of each to sample. Both teas were steeped as recommended by the David’s Tea Thermometer – 74C for 2mins 30seconds. Just under a tsp of tea for each.I don’t always do that but for the sake of comparison, I followed the directions. I made them at exactly the same time in identical mugs, water from the same pot and all that jazz. Only thing is I forgot to give either of them a rinse!

The Ashikubo’s liquor was a shade darker, slightly murkier. It is very vegetal and woody, kind of bitter, with slight nutty notes, and a lot of astringency (which I hate). I’ve tried it before and felt meh about it and I still do.

The Japanese Sencha’s liquor is lighter in color and clearer. Lighter in flavour too but not in a bad way at all – light vegetal base, very slight sweet floral and wood notes (compared to Ashikubo), very smooth with no astringency. Really pleasant to drink. I’m not a green tea person because every one I’ve tried so far is too astringent (besides genmaicha) and I really don’t dig that, but this changes things.

Anyway, final result is – I dig this a million times more over the Ashikubo! Which is great because its a good 6 dollars cheaper per 50g, lol. If you don’t like astringency this is for you. I’d dig a stronger flavour but that can probably be adjusted with steeping. Both my brother and my dad preferred this one too.

Me and this tea are not having a cooperative morning.

My first cup I brewed 1tsp/8oz at 170F/75C for 2 min, and it came out so astringent that I couldn’t get through more than half the cup before drinking it.

Second steep of the same leaves I did for 1 min at 70C and it was less astringent, but still pretty astringent and otherwise pretty weak.

Third try is fresh leaf with 63C water for 1 minute. This cup is drinkable, yay! It has the nice vegetal and umami, with slightly roasty notes that I was craving. Still a touch astringent, but not bad.

It’s satisfying my morning craving, but this is super finicky and I’m regretting leaving my tin of gyokuro at my partner’s place.

Edit: NOPE. Half way through this cup and my mouth feels so dry I just want to brush my teeth. Time to make something new.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal

Fjellrev

Ugh, finicky teas suck haha.

Anlina

And I have other senchas (mostly blends, but still), that are nice and forgiving and that give me flavour instead of just astringency.

I meant to dump the rest of this cup but ended up drinking it by accident. It got less offensive as it got cold.

Fjellrev

That’s good then. Usually when I come across an ultra finicky tea, I end up cold brewing it and it’s usually better.