Japanese Sencha (organic)

Sencha
Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air... how could I let...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 741 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there's just a single cup left :) I think this tea's a little old now, but it's still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2361 tasting notes
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven't had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It's very light with...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

Interesting. I did a comparison between this and the Ashikubo Sencha by David, as I bought 10g of each to sample. Both teas were steeped as recommended by the David’s Tea Thermometer – 74C for 2mins 30seconds. Just under a tsp of tea for each.I don’t always do that but for the sake of comparison, I followed the directions. I made them at exactly the same time in identical mugs, water from the same pot and all that jazz. Only thing is I forgot to give either of them a rinse!

The Ashikubo’s liquor was a shade darker, slightly murkier. It is very vegetal and woody, kind of bitter, with slight nutty notes, and a lot of astringency (which I hate). I’ve tried it before and felt meh about it and I still do.

The Japanese Sencha’s liquor is lighter in color and clearer. Lighter in flavour too but not in a bad way at all – light vegetal base, very slight sweet floral and wood notes (compared to Ashikubo), very smooth with no astringency. Really pleasant to drink. I’m not a green tea person because every one I’ve tried so far is too astringent (besides genmaicha) and I really don’t dig that, but this changes things.

Anyway, final result is – I dig this a million times more over the Ashikubo! Which is great because its a good 6 dollars cheaper per 50g, lol. If you don’t like astringency this is for you. I’d dig a stronger flavour but that can probably be adjusted with steeping. Both my brother and my dad preferred this one too.

Me and this tea are not having a cooperative morning.

My first cup I brewed 1tsp/8oz at 170F/75C for 2 min, and it came out so astringent that I couldn’t get through more than half the cup before drinking it.

Second steep of the same leaves I did for 1 min at 70C and it was less astringent, but still pretty astringent and otherwise pretty weak.

Third try is fresh leaf with 63C water for 1 minute. This cup is drinkable, yay! It has the nice vegetal and umami, with slightly roasty notes that I was craving. Still a touch astringent, but not bad.

It’s satisfying my morning craving, but this is super finicky and I’m regretting leaving my tin of gyokuro at my partner’s place.

Edit: NOPE. Half way through this cup and my mouth feels so dry I just want to brush my teeth. Time to make something new.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal

Fjellrev

Ugh, finicky teas suck haha.

Anlina

And I have other senchas (mostly blends, but still), that are nice and forgiving and that give me flavour instead of just astringency.

I meant to dump the rest of this cup but ended up drinking it by accident. It got less offensive as it got cold.

Fjellrev

That’s good then. Usually when I come across an ultra finicky tea, I end up cold brewing it and it’s usually better.

I felt like a plain tea this afternoon so I picked this one out of the Canadian Traveling Teabox. It’s a fairly standard sencha, mildly grassy with a bit of a seaweed flavour. I can tell that it’s decent quality and not harsh or bitter for all that it’s a bit uninspiring. For those who want an intro into Japanese greens and don’t feel like shelling out a ton of money right off the bat this would be a great place to start.

Yumm.. have always loved green tea! This is a nice cup of tea to relax with in the evening – hopefully will still be able to sleep tonight.

This is a light grassy sencha that’s pleasant to drink, but it did seem a little bit weak. It has a mild vegetal scent and flavor that was refreshing, though I could have done without the seaweed undertones in this one. It’s decent enough, but not my favorite sencha.

My go to tea is and always will be a good green tea. In a perfect world, I’d be drinking tip top Gyokuro… but my wallet says otherwise. So since I had run out of my Gyokuro (which I got from Teavana when I worked there. I was only able to afford it because of the discount) I have switched over to Sencha.

This tea is the most affordable loose-leaf sencha I have tried yet that doesn’t sacrifice too much flavour. I am still satisfied whenever I drink this tea. Though it doesn’t give that same rich, buttery aroma like a gyokuro does, it’s still a great plain green tea.

I stock up on this!

it tastes like classic green tea. I guess that is the goal right? I love green tea. I like it because it is clean, plain and rustic, not a whole mish mash of overwhelming flavors, so it’s good when you are just looking to relax a bit (but not too much because there is some caffeine in it).

It was ok but not something I would reach for often so probably not worth purchasing. Green teas are my favourite but David’s has spoiled me and now I only want flavoured green teas!