Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Spinach, Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

Very good green, good price too. I drink this one often, it keeps the price down. I reuse the leaves for about 3 – 4 cups each and they still have lots of flavor.

Quite liked this one, but nothing spectacular for a Sencha. I combined this with a little of the Peppermint to make a minty green tea.

Nuanced flavor. Very subtle. Wet and watery tasting. Very neutral, but not bad. This tea makes me think that I like teas that are richer in flavor. Very obviously steamed during processing.

Second brew is more mellow, but very similar.

Very hard to have more than 1 cups worth. It does not draw me in and bring me back for more.

Flavors: Spinach

Had this at work this afternoon. It was part of a gift set that I received from my co-worker for Christmas.

Smells nice and vegetal/grassy. Has quite a strong tangy aftertaste, but I probably overleafed/oversteeped slightly. Colour was interesting: almost neon lime green. Pretty good overall, a quality sencha. Aroma reminds me a bit of matcha.

I bought this for the second time yesterday! I really enjoy the flavor as it feels light to me. It is easy to drink because it doesn’t give me that “oh god I drank more than I should have…” feeling. Smooth, comforting and delicious. Not a low grade tasting tea leaf at all. :)

I haven’t actually had too many straight green teas so I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this.

I actually really enjoyed this. Vegetal, yes, but not overpowering. I got a real Japanese soup vibe from this, which is probably because of the seaweed notes. I could probably sip on this for a really long time before I got tired of it, but I’m not sure if I would go out of my way to pick some up.

Flavors: Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal

I’m not sure how I feel about this tea.
It’s got this weird flavor… I guess people are calling it briny or oceanic? I’ve never tasted that in a tea before, and I can’t decide whether or not I like it. (It’s interesting enough that I keep sipping, which is maybe promising.) Second steep has a sweet and salty aftertaste going on, almost scallopy. Huh.

Flavors: Ocean Breeze, Seaweed, Sweet