Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Spinach, Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is my second time trying this tea after having a cup prepared for me at the David’s Tea store. I actually got that as my free cup cause I wanted to get more into green teas. I liked it after trying it there so I bought a 2oz bag of it online.

I have to say, I think the reason why I didn’t like green tea before was because I was essentially burning the leaves and constantly getting bitter tea. (I finally got a temperature control kettle for Christmas) This tea is smooth and tastes like seaweed, salt and vegetal. After I brewed it, the smell was as if it was bitter so I was actually scared that I used water that was too hot but it was perfect.

I wanna see how many resteeps I can get out of the leaves.

Flavors: Bitter, Grass, Salt, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Advent calendar [16/24]

I was super looking forward to this one. I’ve made it a couple of times since I initially made it, and I’m thinking this tea needs a maximum of one minute to steep. I find it gets astringent really fast.

I like the plainness of this one. David’s doesn’t really do plain. I’m not sure I’d purchase this for myself because I think the territory for plain green teas is huge and unnavigated at this point.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Kristal

I like DAVIDs plain greens as well. They actually have a decent selection-more than a LOT of other more commercial companies (I’m thinking Steeped tea, celestial seasons, other bagged companies, etc).

This was one of the teas in my 24 Days of Tea calendar! I have never really had a straight green tea before, so I wanted to write a review on it.

This tea is better than I expected, though it is quite simple. I didn’t realize it had caffeine, so making it at 11:30pm was probably a bad idea haha (though at any other time I’d be fine with it having caffeine – I actually enjoy the caffeine). Perhaps I have let it steep longer than I should have (I’m not familiar with how to make straight green tea), but I find it to be kind of salty tasting. Maybe it’s just me? I’m not sure! I have noticed that people said it tastes seaweed-y, so maybe that’s what I am tasting. Not bad, just unexpected.

Overall, the tea isn’t awful. I am giving it a lower rating because I probably won’t buy any of it to keep a permanent stash. I’d drink it again, but I do prefer other David’s Tea green teas (ex. detox, toasted walnut, movie night).

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Salt, Seaweed

A simple green tea. Nothing fancy, but taste ok.

This is a normal straight green tea. It is not fancy and it tastes grassy and perhaps a bit bitter. When I want a simple straight green, I take this one.

A perfect green tea for anytime of the day! Super refreshing and smooth, I usually drink this tea in the morning before my run. It’s a very basic tasting green tea but sometimes basic is really all you need.

Kind of finicky green tea, wrong temperature, wrong steep time and this one gets undrinkable.

Today is Easter Sunday and I forced myself to get up from bed. That’s what you get from staying up so late and you know that you need to be up in the morning because you have to go to church… Anyways. Coming home and feeling I’ll catch a cold (sneezing, headache…), I decided I need a cup of green tea (I always prefer green tea). SO! I steeped this tea (from an unopened store-bought bag and this is my first time to try this tea).. . Now drinking it makes me feel relaxed and cold hands and feet and sneezing gone… If it’s only my thinking that this tea refreshes and relaxes, I don’t care.. At least I never fail to enjoy green tea every time…. Happy drinking, tea-lovers!

I thought I had already reviewed this one – oh well! I’m trying to drink more straight greens in my semi-serious New Year’s resolution to drink green tea every day, and I realised I had some of this that came with one of my Christmas presents. I don’t mind this (gasp, shock), but I liked the Sencha Ashikubo far better. Naturally, because that one is so much more expensive, LOL. My thing with greens is getting the water temperature decent, and I’m not sure I did with this one. Sigh. Maybe next time.

GCTTB

This sencha is okay but it’s lacking the nice spinach and body of some of the richer sencha’s. I think I prefer those senchas that border a little bit on the gyokuro side.