Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I felt like a plain tea this afternoon so I picked this one out of the Canadian Traveling Teabox. It’s a fairly standard sencha, mildly grassy with a bit of a seaweed flavour. I can tell that it’s decent quality and not harsh or bitter for all that it’s a bit uninspiring. For those who want an intro into Japanese greens and don’t feel like shelling out a ton of money right off the bat this would be a great place to start.

Yumm.. have always loved green tea! This is a nice cup of tea to relax with in the evening – hopefully will still be able to sleep tonight.

This is a light grassy sencha that’s pleasant to drink, but it did seem a little bit weak. It has a mild vegetal scent and flavor that was refreshing, though I could have done without the seaweed undertones in this one. It’s decent enough, but not my favorite sencha.

My go to tea is and always will be a good green tea. In a perfect world, I’d be drinking tip top Gyokuro… but my wallet says otherwise. So since I had run out of my Gyokuro (which I got from Teavana when I worked there. I was only able to afford it because of the discount) I have switched over to Sencha.

This tea is the most affordable loose-leaf sencha I have tried yet that doesn’t sacrifice too much flavour. I am still satisfied whenever I drink this tea. Though it doesn’t give that same rich, buttery aroma like a gyokuro does, it’s still a great plain green tea.

I stock up on this!

it tastes like classic green tea. I guess that is the goal right? I love green tea. I like it because it is clean, plain and rustic, not a whole mish mash of overwhelming flavors, so it’s good when you are just looking to relax a bit (but not too much because there is some caffeine in it).

It was ok but not something I would reach for often so probably not worth purchasing. Green teas are my favourite but David’s has spoiled me and now I only want flavoured green teas!

Day 11 on my advent calendar

This is a nice surprise i’ve not tried many of the straight teas david’s has to offer so i am kind of looking forward to this.

Dry leaves smell very vegetal, steeped the liqueur has a lemon limey color and the smell reminds me of the milk oolong which i love, so i’m getting hopeful about this tea.

time to taste: bitter…i knew the water was too hot but darn i was excited… ok i’m not rating this and gonna give it another go

I use this tea to make iced green tea. I like it’s taste, I do not need much tea in my pitchet to make a strong tasting green iced tea and I can infuse it two times before it does not taste anything. I like less the fact that this tea taste a little bit like grass smells, but overall, i like this tea.

I have a love hate relationship with this tea. I bought about 150g about a moth month ago when I started drinking tea and loved it for the first while. Then things changed and my love affair with the tea ended. however last night I decided to make a cup and it was delicious!!! Light, vegetal….the way it should be. Not bitter at all.