Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Spinach, Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I thought I had already reviewed this one – oh well! I’m trying to drink more straight greens in my semi-serious New Year’s resolution to drink green tea every day, and I realised I had some of this that came with one of my Christmas presents. I don’t mind this (gasp, shock), but I liked the Sencha Ashikubo far better. Naturally, because that one is so much more expensive, LOL. My thing with greens is getting the water temperature decent, and I’m not sure I did with this one. Sigh. Maybe next time.

GCTTB

This sencha is okay but it’s lacking the nice spinach and body of some of the richer sencha’s. I think I prefer those senchas that border a little bit on the gyokuro side.

Interesting. I did a comparison between this and the Ashikubo Sencha by David, as I bought 10g of each to sample. Both teas were steeped as recommended by the David’s Tea Thermometer – 74C for 2mins 30seconds. Just under a tsp of tea for each.I don’t always do that but for the sake of comparison, I followed the directions. I made them at exactly the same time in identical mugs, water from the same pot and all that jazz. Only thing is I forgot to give either of them a rinse!

The Ashikubo’s liquor was a shade darker, slightly murkier. It is very vegetal and woody, kind of bitter, with slight nutty notes, and a lot of astringency (which I hate). I’ve tried it before and felt meh about it and I still do.

The Japanese Sencha’s liquor is lighter in color and clearer. Lighter in flavour too but not in a bad way at all – light vegetal base, very slight sweet floral and wood notes (compared to Ashikubo), very smooth with no astringency. Really pleasant to drink. I’m not a green tea person because every one I’ve tried so far is too astringent (besides genmaicha) and I really don’t dig that, but this changes things.

Anyway, final result is – I dig this a million times more over the Ashikubo! Which is great because its a good 6 dollars cheaper per 50g, lol. If you don’t like astringency this is for you. I’d dig a stronger flavour but that can probably be adjusted with steeping. Both my brother and my dad preferred this one too.

Me and this tea are not having a cooperative morning.

My first cup I brewed 1tsp/8oz at 170F/75C for 2 min, and it came out so astringent that I couldn’t get through more than half the cup before drinking it.

Second steep of the same leaves I did for 1 min at 70C and it was less astringent, but still pretty astringent and otherwise pretty weak.

Third try is fresh leaf with 63C water for 1 minute. This cup is drinkable, yay! It has the nice vegetal and umami, with slightly roasty notes that I was craving. Still a touch astringent, but not bad.

It’s satisfying my morning craving, but this is super finicky and I’m regretting leaving my tin of gyokuro at my partner’s place.

Edit: NOPE. Half way through this cup and my mouth feels so dry I just want to brush my teeth. Time to make something new.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Roasted, Umami, Vegetal

Fjellrev

Ugh, finicky teas suck haha.

Anlina

And I have other senchas (mostly blends, but still), that are nice and forgiving and that give me flavour instead of just astringency.

I meant to dump the rest of this cup but ended up drinking it by accident. It got less offensive as it got cold.

Fjellrev

That’s good then. Usually when I come across an ultra finicky tea, I end up cold brewing it and it’s usually better.

I felt like a plain tea this afternoon so I picked this one out of the Canadian Traveling Teabox. It’s a fairly standard sencha, mildly grassy with a bit of a seaweed flavour. I can tell that it’s decent quality and not harsh or bitter for all that it’s a bit uninspiring. For those who want an intro into Japanese greens and don’t feel like shelling out a ton of money right off the bat this would be a great place to start.

Yumm.. have always loved green tea! This is a nice cup of tea to relax with in the evening – hopefully will still be able to sleep tonight.

This is a light grassy sencha that’s pleasant to drink, but it did seem a little bit weak. It has a mild vegetal scent and flavor that was refreshing, though I could have done without the seaweed undertones in this one. It’s decent enough, but not my favorite sencha.

My go to tea is and always will be a good green tea. In a perfect world, I’d be drinking tip top Gyokuro… but my wallet says otherwise. So since I had run out of my Gyokuro (which I got from Teavana when I worked there. I was only able to afford it because of the discount) I have switched over to Sencha.

This tea is the most affordable loose-leaf sencha I have tried yet that doesn’t sacrifice too much flavour. I am still satisfied whenever I drink this tea. Though it doesn’t give that same rich, buttery aroma like a gyokuro does, it’s still a great plain green tea.

I stock up on this!

it tastes like classic green tea. I guess that is the goal right? I love green tea. I like it because it is clean, plain and rustic, not a whole mish mash of overwhelming flavors, so it’s good when you are just looking to relax a bit (but not too much because there is some caffeine in it).

It was ok but not something I would reach for often so probably not worth purchasing. Green teas are my favourite but David’s has spoiled me and now I only want flavoured green teas!