Buttered Rum (organic)

Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Yo ho ho-conut

Hot buttered rum is so delicious we want it all day long. Unfortunately, most employers frown on workplace drunkenness, so we came up with this rich and creamy alternative. Toasted coconut and vanilla beans mingle with black tea in a caramelized caress of flavours. Decadent hot or iced, it also blends perfectly with dark rum, brown sugar and a dash of milk – so go ahead and indulge your inner pirate, off the clock. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Fair Trade Certified Black tea, coconut flakes, vanilla beans, cornflower petals. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Breakfast tea this morning! Not overly sweet (phew!) & such a great scent. I think I’m gonna sadface when I run out of this sample.

Emilie sent me some of this, yay! It’s smells really nice, and maybe my nose is just attuned to it, but I got coconut right away. I adore coconut in tea. The tea itself is much prettier than I expected, with pale strips of coconut, slices of vanilla bean and tiny blue cornflowers (I love watching the color drain from the flowers. I guess I expected more of a buttery, caramel flavor than I got, which was mostly coconut and vanilla. I tasted the butter notes more as it sat a bit, which is interesting.

Emilie

Glad to know I’m not alone! Everyone else seems to rave about the buttery-ness, but the few times I have had this, it’s been closer to what you described.

Despite having the last 9 teas of David’s wall I have yet to try in my possession, I made this one when I got home from work. I needed a comfort tea since I fell in the mud, and this did the trick. Happy teas for the win!

Indigobloom

eeeek, stay clean!! and tea-happy :)

A perfect score for this tea. The flavors are robust but very well balanced and delicious. I love the buttery smoothness with hints of coconut and vanilla so much that I will have to place another order soon (the $2 international fee be damned!). Sometimes I open my tin of this stuff just to take a sniff…or too…when it’s too late for me to take in caffeine. I’ve been told I may have a problem….

Ok, so this is my first review on Steepster!! So happy I found this communi-Tea!

Davidstea Rhum au Beurre (the french name) is one of my favourite! Its rich taste does exactly what the name leads you to believe it will: bring comfort in your cup :o)

When you open the bag and let your nostrils take it in, the first thing that comes to mind is: will this really hold up in the taste department, or is disappointment right around the corner?

Amazingly, all the distinct flavors come through, your taste buds will clearly identify the rum and the butter, you’ll also be a able to grasp hints of coconut and vanilla here and there… Be prepared for the boldness of this luxurious black tea, stay away if your not crazy about flavoured teas cause this one hits hard!

I steep it for 5 min out of the 6 minutes max recommended and steep it again 6 min. for a second cup and still get a lot of flavor… Enjoy!
politicalmachine

i believe the french and english versions are the same, it’s more a difference of the label :)

TheTeaFairy

Thanks politicalmachine, yes I do know that the product is the same, for some reason I just prefer saying «rhum au beurre» :o)

I haven’t logged this one yet?? How it that possible?? I’ve had this one for like two years and I’m sure that I had logged it… but maybe not. Oh well! haha

When I first got this tea, I remember how crazy sweet it seemed. It smelled sweet, tasted sweet and was just far too much all around. But tonight, I’m not minding it.

I did add some milk to add some smoothness to it, and it hopefully curb the sweetness that I was expecting.
Comparing it to rum, I’m not sure I’m the best judge. I don’t really drink rum. But I can tell you I like the smoothness of this one and the sweet coconut in it.

I’m glad that this one has held up over the last bit. Honestly, this is one of the teas that I haven’t stored properly. It’s in a container that isn’t air tight, is glass that isn’t UV blocking and has been around for two years. I over leafed a bit just in case, and it seems to be okay. I do think time is making this tea taste a bit different, but I’m okay with it. It’s okay.

Gabriela

love this tea! I just had it for the first time with milk and rock sugar… normally I just have it black. My oh my it was good!!!!

TheKesser

yeah Rock sugar and milk would have made it awesome probably. I wonder what it would be like as a latte!

caile

I love this one with a bit of milk also!

2019 tasting notes

This has been on my shopping list for awhile, but I haven’t managed to order from DAVIDsTEA yet. Thanks to scribbles for including this in our swap.

I actually wish I had been able to continue drinking this one, but I had to dump it out. Not because I thought it was bad, I actually rather enjoyed it, but it gave me one of the worst migraines I’ve ever had. I do have a sensitivity to certain flavorings and whatever was used in this one just set me off. It’s going to be hard to trade this one away.

The scent and smell of this tea is just overwhelmingly buttery and it stays with you for a long time after you’re finished. This really wasn’t what I was expecting from this tea, I wish it had a little more of a rum flavor but it was still yummy. It reminded me of hot buttered popcorn and I could definitely see myself sneaking this one into the movie theater. Am I the only one who does that?

Ok I think it is safe to start my daily 24 Days of Tea tasting notes. If you haven’t opened yours yet today, well you need to get on that.

I had this tea yesterday morning as well, but I think I brewed it up more nicely today. Made it as a latte both times. It is quite delicious, and a great way to start off the holiday season. I ALWAYS forget this one is low caffeine though, who knew? It has a rich, sweet, buttery flavour that will please any pallet. I think my mom liked it too (I gave her the advent calendar for her birthday so that she could try a bunch), her comment was yes this is quite a nice black tea. It reminds me a little bit of Brazillonaire in its richness.

I might have more of it this evening. I’m in the middle of paper writing for the end of the semester right now, and lets be honest tea is the only thing that keeps me going. I had a bunch of pinapple oolong today as well.

More daily reviews to come!

PatchworkSheep

I’ve just been curious, is your username a Margaret Atwood reference?

Sweet Canadian

No it is not PatchworkSheep, though I was an English/History/Canadian studies major in my Undergrad so that would be quite fitting. I haven’t actually read a lot of Atwood outside of Survival because all I do is read books for my classes….

Love this tea! It’s so decadent and smooth, it’s like a desert tea that you feel no guilt for drinking in the middle of the day, or perhaps all day…
It’s a heavy hand of butterscotch and a touch of toasty coconut, very buttery and delicious.
I usually do not like flavored teas, especially ones with a strong scent but this one is well balanced and a new favorite of mine for sure when I need a sweet pick me up.

Just love this one. A great flavour in this blend and the black is lovely, doesn’t go bitter even with ‘creative’ steeping parameters. Finished off the bag a couple of days ago, will re-order next winter. Yes, I know it would be great iced with rum for summer, but I SERIOUSLY need to clear out the cupboard.