Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Floral, Fruity, Medicinal, Tart, Flowers, Peppermint, Tea, Lemon Zest, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Mint, Lemon, Tangy, Herbaceous, Sweet, Herbs
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I normally leave my tea bags in the cup, especially for herbals since I find them quite weak. Well I tried that with this one since it didn’t have much colour and it was horrible. I took the tea leaves out and although I find the peppermint to be overly strong I am enjoying this tea a lot. I am actually sitting here yawning and that is unheard of for me. I think this may become my nighttime tea from now on since I have so many problems sleeping.
Well off to bed. LOL.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

this tea is my life saver. I work various hours starting from 5 am shift to 12hours shifts. i can’t sleep. My days off-i’d try to chance up on my sleep. I couldn’t. I walked around like a zombie. Till i found this tea- it literally knocked me out. : )

My real mother is jealous of this tea, wishing she could lull me to sleep by herself. Seriously. She said that.

I’ve been experimenting with finding different teas to help me get to sleep lately – this one is definitely one of the best I’ve found. I chose it as an alternative to the Vata Ayurvedic tea (which I also love) because I’m not a fan of licorice root and there is none in this one. I really love the soothing mix of peppermint and chamomile in this tea – they work together nicely without being too overwhelming. Those are really the only of the herbal ingredients I can make out, but there is a really nice sweet aftertaste. Plus, the dry leaves and flowers look really pretty (always a bonus).

This tea really helps me to unwind and relax before bedtime. It makes me feel warm, fuzzy, and drowsy and helps to regulate and calm my system. Drinking it before hitting the hay has definitely become my nighttime routine.

I also have to say that one of the DT salesgirls recommended that I try mixing the Mother’s Little Helper AND the Vata Ayurvedic teas (half and half) to make the ultimate bedtime combination, saying that she swears by it; the Vata to stop your stressing/anxiety in its tracks and the Mother’s L.H. to send you over the edge in drowsiness. I tried this and it was even better than both of them separately (and it kept my cup from being too overrun by the licorice in the Vata tea)! A must try for those looking for some nighttime help :)

Goodnight ;)

The blend of chamomile & peppermint is perfect. Honestly, this tea could help anyone unwind after a rough day, and do so with flavour. I’m not a big fan of straight chamomile so having the other ingredients there definitely makes it easy to enjoy.

Drank it straight, without sugar, lemon or milk.

Very nice bedtime tea. One of my first pickups from David’sTEA and definitely one of my favorites. Very light but has a good flavor. Turns red when you let it steep.

Boiling 8 min or more

Great for a lazy rainy day or for a drink before you go to bed.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Medicinal, Tart

If I had to give this a number based on what it should taste like it would pretty low. Giving it a number the way I make it, well it’s not possible to give a tea a negative number. I’m taking this for insomnia because my doctor’s prescriptions don’t work anymore and I haven’t been able to convince her to prescribe something else. While I do think it’s time I found a new doctor I’m hoping this works for tonight. I brewed this with 6 tsp leaf, 4 tsp valerian root, and four eye droppers full of valerian root extract. I’m hoping it helps me sleep. It tastes positively vile even with added maple syrup and agave nectar.

Boiling 8 min or more 6 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Hope it works

AllanK

Not at all. I seem to have developed a tolerance for valerian.

Ubacat

That does sound vile! I have noticed myself that one valerian capsule always used to put me to sleep but I need two now. So definitely it becomes less effective unless you take a good long break from it. I think there are a few other herbs to help you sleep. Holy basil isn’t a sedative but can be calming. There are plenty of teas out there with holy basil (Tulsi tea) in them.

Kirkoneill1988

what makes it taste vile? :/

AllanK

Valerian root tastes particularly nasty. But it’s supposed to help you sleep.

AllanK

Valerian root has a nasty taste but is supposed to help you sleep.

Evol Ving Ness

I have a bagful of stuff that I am trying one at a time.

Currently, it is calcium/magnesium and melatonin. So far so good. (It’s only been two days though.)

A lot of things in this category can’t be used for long, so it is good to have an assortment to change things up.
AllanK

I’ve tried melatonin in the past. Didn’t work for me.

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, sounds good for sleep but nasty to taste

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, melatonin really screwed up my sleeping. made me sleep too much

Evol Ving Ness

Melatonin apparently needs calcium/magnesium to boost it AND the best dosage is 1 mg. taken less than an hour before bedtime. Work apparently but is somewhat finicky. It does not work for people who do not have a melatonin deficiency, so perhaps you are one of those people.

I really do enjoy this tea. It’s perfect at night when you want to wind down for the day. The mint, chamomile, and lemongrass work really well together.

This tea is just fine and satisfies I specific craving I sometimes have. I would drink it any day but I don’t particularly enjoy or love it. It reminds me of the tea my grandma would give to me when I was a little girl, the kind of boring tea that is nice with cookies. Sometimes I just crave this kind of tea, for me it does not stand out on its own but it goes well with baked goods. The hints of peppermint make it a bit more fun then just any old tea though.

(Basically it is a staple to own something like this for myself, but it is not a tea I would look forward to as a treat. )

Flavors: Flowers, Peppermint, Tea