Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Decaffeinated
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “I needed this tea tonight and was feeling super lazy, so I put it in a teabag and made it (my metal steeper still has sichuan caravan to drink tomo in it). The flavor is still pretty good, so...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 824 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so I'm probably just the biggest whiner ever but I cannot handle not getting enough sleep. That's the surefire best way to grump me up, and I gotta say that at 5:20 AM, with only 1 hour of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1413 tasting notes
  • “Sooo for some reason I don't have a rating on this tea when I know I have reviewed it a few times. Welp! Here's my rating! haha I used 1 tsp instead of my usual 2 tsps. It tastes soo much better...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (158) Thank you *Cavocorax* for sharing this with me. This tastes like a typical herbal tea, minty and nice but not something I ever crave. For that reason, it won't be a restock but it...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1374 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A very relaxing herbal blend, but a hint of bitterness… perhaps the valerian? The chamomile isn’t overly strong, which is nice, but adding some extra peppermint (I have a plant on the windowsill) made it even better. That said, I like Teaopia’s Sleep Well blend a bit more, although Mother’s Little Helper is still a nice cup before bed and it does help with sleep.

I normally leave my tea bags in the cup, especially for herbals since I find them quite weak. Well I tried that with this one since it didn’t have much colour and it was horrible. I took the tea leaves out and although I find the peppermint to be overly strong I am enjoying this tea a lot. I am actually sitting here yawning and that is unheard of for me. I think this may become my nighttime tea from now on since I have so many problems sleeping.
Well off to bed. LOL.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

this tea is my life saver. I work various hours starting from 5 am shift to 12hours shifts. i can’t sleep. My days off-i’d try to chance up on my sleep. I couldn’t. I walked around like a zombie. Till i found this tea- it literally knocked me out. : )

My real mother is jealous of this tea, wishing she could lull me to sleep by herself. Seriously. She said that.

I’ve been experimenting with finding different teas to help me get to sleep lately – this one is definitely one of the best I’ve found. I chose it as an alternative to the Vata Ayurvedic tea (which I also love) because I’m not a fan of licorice root and there is none in this one. I really love the soothing mix of peppermint and chamomile in this tea – they work together nicely without being too overwhelming. Those are really the only of the herbal ingredients I can make out, but there is a really nice sweet aftertaste. Plus, the dry leaves and flowers look really pretty (always a bonus).

This tea really helps me to unwind and relax before bedtime. It makes me feel warm, fuzzy, and drowsy and helps to regulate and calm my system. Drinking it before hitting the hay has definitely become my nighttime routine.

I also have to say that one of the DT salesgirls recommended that I try mixing the Mother’s Little Helper AND the Vata Ayurvedic teas (half and half) to make the ultimate bedtime combination, saying that she swears by it; the Vata to stop your stressing/anxiety in its tracks and the Mother’s L.H. to send you over the edge in drowsiness. I tried this and it was even better than both of them separately (and it kept my cup from being too overrun by the licorice in the Vata tea)! A must try for those looking for some nighttime help :)

Goodnight ;)

The blend of chamomile & peppermint is perfect. Honestly, this tea could help anyone unwind after a rough day, and do so with flavour. I’m not a big fan of straight chamomile so having the other ingredients there definitely makes it easy to enjoy.

Drank it straight, without sugar, lemon or milk.

From the Caffeine-Free/Decaf Traveling Tea Box.

I love hibiscus plain, but it’s difficult to blend with other teas without it coming off to strong. So when I read that hibiscus was in included this blend, I got a little worried. And when I saw that the liquor was purplish, I got a little more worried. But the taste varies, surprisingly. The hibiscus takes over (but it’s not strong and overly tart), but only at first. When I let the tea rest in my mouth, it goes away and the herbs – lemongrass, peppermint, chamomile, etc. – come through. And after I swallow, the peppermint stays. Yummmm.

An excellent herbal blend. I have to keep the entire packet.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

It is early for this, especially with the amount of studying I did not get done. I simply can’t focus and wan’t to be sure that I get a good night’s rest to start off this crazy week. The first thing that hits me is hibiscus followed immediately by mint. This is very yummy. It isn’t making me sleepy (at least not yet) but definitely relaxed.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is a staple tea for me. I have a cup most evenings. Pleasantly minty and soothing. Very forgiving with steeping as well – I often go 10 minutes or more. Occasionally I add a scoop of chamomile that I grew in my garden which adds a nice flavor.

I don’t personally believe that any of the ingredients are genuine sleep aids, but they sure taste nice and there is no caffeine. It’s also excellent for when you’re sick thanks to the soothing mintyness. Very cheap too – a full tin is about $10 if I remember correctly.

I love chamomile and lemongrass, and this is lovely. Somewhat tart, but with a clean finish. Complete flavour – might taste nice with some honey but will save that for next time.

I don’t know if it placebo (we’ll try again another day to check) but I got sleepy about 5 minutes after starting to sip this. This is my first time even hearing about the valerian root, and so far I’m a fan.

The only problem is after having to replace my duvet cover when I spilled tea all over it, I have a strict no drinking tea in bed rule. I want to get in bed so badly because it is making me sleepy, but sleepy me drinking tea in bed equals costly bedding disasters. Hurry up and cool 2nd cup so I can drink you and go to sleep!

Mother’s Little Helper was under door number 11 of the 2013 DavidsTea advent calendar, but it’s a blend I’ve had in the past as well. I really like the chamomile and peppermint mixture in this tisane — it’s very soothing. It also has lemon undertones thanks to the lemongrass, but I’ll admit that I think it could do without the lemon flavor.

Though there’s hibiscus, it’s muted by the peppermint, and luckily doesn’t add much more than a nice pink color to the brew. This has valerian root, but I didn’t feel any sleepier than usual! Still, it’s a good night time tea for anyone who likes peppermint and chamomile.