Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Flowers, Herbs, Hibiscus, Peppermint, Fruity, Lemongrass, Mint, Medicinal, Lemon Zest
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

• “I needed this tea tonight and was feeling super lazy, so I put it in a teabag and made it (my metal steeper still has sichuan caravan to drink tomo in it). The flavor is still pretty good, so...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 988 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so I'm probably just the biggest whiner ever but I cannot handle not getting enough sleep. That's the surefire best way to grump me up, and I gotta say that at 5:20 AM, with only 1 hour of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Sooo for some reason I don't have a rating on this tea when I know I have reviewed it a few times. Welp! Here's my rating! haha I used 1 tsp instead of my usual 2 tsps. It tastes soo much better...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 505 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (158) Thank you *Cavocorax* for sharing this with me. This tastes like a typical herbal tea, minty and nice but not something I ever crave. For that reason, it won't be a restock but it...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2068 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Maman died today.

The postcard came in the mail last night. I was asleep. I saw a man come in, however. He was dressed all in grey. He wore an off-tilted hat with a white ridge around the brim, and then he handed me the letter sealed with a gold wax seal. I thought it was a nice gesture as no one takes the time to put a nice seal on letters anymore. Without thinking, I responded with a “Thank You”, and the man drove away.

Afterwards, it struck me that I needn’t have said that. I had no reason to thank the delivery boy; he was probably getting paid to do it. I thought: how many more letters would he deliver that day? He reminded me of a fellow that I used to know; a friend, even, Raymond was to me. He lived a simple life. In the mornings, Raymond didn’t go out; it was only until the evening that he went out. He always had the company of a young girl, and he even told me one time that he couldn’t go on without them. He was unusual. Or was that Edward?

Regardless, the letter came to me – Maman had wanted that I see it. I peeled back the seal and peeked inside, but there was nothing in it. An empty envelope, inviting yet unsettling. Perhaps she had run out of time to fill it? Perhaps it was a message. A gift, even: hope. Maybe I could become somebody or do something as well. Without an interruption, I would have kept on going without a direction.

As soon as I had grasped these feelings, I began to feel drowsy again. I couldn’t fight back the sensation, so I began to think back to the man with the grey hat. He continued to go on doing his job; continued to go on working towards whatever it was that he was working towards, and went on despite fatigue or hunger. But his task, being so simple, so mundane, surely could not be significant. Rather, looking back down at the now open envelope, I began to feel disappointed. I thought that despite the white hope that Maman gave me, I would lack the ethic and would thus fail. I can’t fail.

I wish I could go on, but I must go to sleep now for the light is blinding.

Flavors: Flowers, Medicinal, Peppermint

tantonino

In the style of Mersault, our boy of the sea and the sun himself, I tried to tackle understanding different ways of life and creating a unique purpose and thus meaning to one’s own life. Rather absurd, isn’t it?

I don’t like the taste…. but man did this make me sleepy! Didn’t think it would work.

I recommend if you have trouble sleeping.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m not sure with what this tea is supposed to help mothers. Maybe they could use it as a punishment? “If you hit your sister one more time, so help me God I will get out the Mother’s Little Helper. Don’t make me do it!” That’s what I envision.

This tea. Just no. It tastes like what I imagine laundry detergent would taste like. You are avenged for the lavender chamomile, Virginia. I won’t rate this because I obviously have a problem with some flavor in here. I’m sure if you like all the ingredients, it would be…. ingestible?

carol who

I love the idea of tea as punishment!

TeaBrat

Between the chamomile and the valerian I think it’s supposed to sedate you. ;-)

I was initially skeptical going into this tea for it’s medicinal values. I’ve had it several times, and while the flavour is good I never noticed much of the proclaimed relaxation effect that it boasts. Valerian root doesn’t work on me all that well. I never get tired from it. If anything , it has an adverse effect and keeps me up. I have a pretty sever anxiety disorder, and almost nothing but medication fixes it when I’m in crisis mode.

I was out of my usual vice a few weeks ago and not only was I an anxious mess, but had a raging head ache. I was desperate, and after realizing that my chamomile was stale, I decided to give this a whirl. To my complete surprise, a 16 oz cup later and I was feeling a lot better. I had stopped clenching my jaw and jittering, and I will admit I was kind of at peace with everything while I was engaged with this cup of tea.

As for flavour, it’s actually pretty extraordinary for an herbal tea. I’m not a big herbal fan, but this blend of chamomile and rosehips and peppermint really balances itself out well. There’s not too much of anything happening at once. Aside from the mint flavour that permeates throughout, there is a lovely hint of citrus that adds a touch of something exciting with each sip. They do a fantastic job of covering the the Valerian root stench. It’s a very accurate nose to cup, and I enjoyed every sip of it. I do believe this has become one of my at home staples.

Flavors: Flowers, Lemon Zest

As a mother of two children with a husband who snores very loudly, sleep doesn’t always come to greet me at night..HOWEVER since I’ve started drinking MLH before bed at night, I have found my dreamland bliss. I couldn’t ask for anything better. It’s been a week straight that I sleep 7 hours without being woken up by my husband’s snoring. When I open up my tin can and the aroma hits my nose, I am instantly sent into a state of relaxation. I reccomend this tea 1000fold.

I got this tea from DAVIDsTEA, because I want to try herbal blend, tisane, and being organic. Certainly the cute name helps. and I love lemongrass.

But when I taste it, it disappointed me. It tastes very shallow, plain, without much sophistication of texture or aroma. I drank it in the afternoon. it didn’t make me sleepy, luckily, lol.

Does anyone recommend any really good herbal blend?

carol who

You are lucky you live in SF. They have a lot of tea shops. Most tea shops give sample tastes and that might be a good way to explore herbal blends. There are soooooo many I couldn’t even guess to tell you where to start. I found out early on that I don’t like hibiscus so now I know to avoid that. You’ll probably have to try a bunch to see what you like. Have fun!

@ligongsf

hi Carol, yeah, I keep discovering tea shops in SF…today just found a new one through twitter, called Songtea.com, looks very expensive, though. where do you live? not even Teavana or DAVIDstea?

I think I like this tea more for the fact that it makes me relax than the actual flavor of it. Wish it was just a bit softer on the mint. 72

Update: tried it again, as I always do. Added a bit of honey and it was SO good. The mint, the lemon grass, the floral notes…Wonderful. 79

From the Caffeine-Free/Decaf Traveling Tea Box.

I love hibiscus plain, but it’s difficult to blend with other teas without it coming off to strong. So when I read that hibiscus was in included this blend, I got a little worried. And when I saw that the liquor was purplish, I got a little more worried. But the taste varies, surprisingly. The hibiscus takes over (but it’s not strong and overly tart), but only at first. When I let the tea rest in my mouth, it goes away and the herbs – lemongrass, peppermint, chamomile, etc. – come through. And after I swallow, the peppermint stays. Yummmm.

An excellent herbal blend. I have to keep the entire packet.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

My go to when I can tell it’s going to be a rough night. It doesn’t make me sleepy per se but it does relax me and slow down my brain a little. Time for reading and cuddling with the dog until it kicks in :) .

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is a staple tea for me. I have a cup most evenings. Pleasantly minty and soothing. Very forgiving with steeping as well – I often go 10 minutes or more. Occasionally I add a scoop of chamomile that I grew in my garden which adds a nice flavor.

I don’t personally believe that any of the ingredients are genuine sleep aids, but they sure taste nice and there is no caffeine. It’s also excellent for when you’re sick thanks to the soothing mintyness. Very cheap too – a full tin is about $10 if I remember correctly.