Dragon Pearls

Green Tea
Floral, Jasmine, Grass, Vegetal, Perfume, Hay, Salt
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

So seductive

Incredible as it seems, each of these pearls was hand-rolled. It’s a tradition that began over 1300 years ago, when a Chinese emperor wanted to give an original gift of love. Made from green tea scented with blooming jasmine flowers, they are perfect little gems. When you infuse them in hot water, they will release the most intensely beautiful scent as they slowly unravel and come to life. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Chinese green tea from Zhejiang Province, scented with jasmine flowers.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

RAWR! I imagine myself drinking this tea with a DRAGON! Deliciously scented with jasmine for a gentle sweet green tea taste. I am in love with this tea!

Amazing. The smell blew me away in the store, and I bought my first full tin right then and there. I tried it earlier today and have already enjoyed four cups of the stuff. The smell is intoxicating, and the taste lives up to the smell. It’s like drinking a jasmine flower, which is very much up my alley.

My favourite green tea.
Amazing, you can taste the quality, and admire the beauty as the pearls unfold.
It has a somewhat salty, and earthy taste to it.
Very smooth and balanced.
It was somewhat bitter, but very interesting for a green tea.

Interesting = Dragon Pearls = Amazing.

Day 56 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

My dad calls these “dragon balls,” to which I can’t help but giggle and think of tea leaves with little stars inside…. perhaps I should brew seven and make a wish on them sometime!

Geekiness aside, it was an interesting experience. I brewed around 1tsp in a clear cup, mostly in a tea ball, but I put three in the cup itself so I could watch them unfurl. It was a nice little show, I must say, though not as colourful as a blooming tea.

The taste… I’m not a fan of jasmine, but this was a lot better than I thought it would be. Not at all bitter when a shorter steep time is stuck to, and it’s still rebrewing quite nicely a few cups later (I save the tealeaves in the ball and have had a couple cups since). I plan to milk this teaball-full as long as I can before getting rid of them!

OK so this tea looks pretty scary when its steeping – like a bunch of dead spiders in the bottom of your cup…BUT give it a chance because it’s a really solid jasmine green tea!

lol I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that!

I splurged and bought some dragon pears as jasmine is my favourite tea of all time. I was a bit disappointed. I found it wonderfully sweet and very light, which I’m sure would please a lot of people. I tend to like my teas on the bitter side, so the sweetness was just not to my liking. However, it was probably one of the best cups of tea I’ve ever had, just not one for everyday drinking.

I also bought some rose petals and added them to the pearls….was lovely.

Boiling 8 min or more

Hand made tea is a luxury, and it is no different with this variety. I had the tea brewed for me in store with two steepings of 3 minutes each. I added sugar to both steepings. With this tea you could simply enjoy the aroma and it would be enough. The scent is a little different from other jasmine teas that I have had. It is reminiscent slightly of bubble gum. The flavour was fairly light, but enjoyable as well. I will have to brew this at home to really see what it can do.

Got this a little while ago, I haven’t had many jasmine teas to compare it to but I think its a great tea when I’m in the mood for something floral. I’d definitely recommend it, but I also want to order some other jasmine teas to see which I like more.

Flavors: Floral, Jasmine

This is an excellent jasmine tea, but over steeping it can make it unbearable. This ended up accidentally being steeped for 4 minutes and I couldn’t finish a cup. It was tolerable piping hot, but simply awful cold.

David’s tea has 3 jasmine green teas:

Silk Dragon Jasmine- $7.75/50 grams
This one: $14.50/50grams
Butterfly Jasmine: $19.75/grams

Currently I own a little of each as I love jasmine green tea and want to compare them. Along with this tasting note I am doing a side-by-side comparison of Silk Dragon Jasmine so go to that entry if you want my take on it :).

This tea is closer to Butterfly Jasmine than Silk Dragon Jasmine by far. Like Butterfly, the leaves are rolled up into little bundles that unvravel as they steep, which is quite pretty. The tea is light and the jasmine is prominent, but I find that Butterfly Jasmine has a stronger Jasmine flavour than this one. Still, this is a very close substitute and what you save money wise makes up for a slight loss of flavour. I’m still going to rate this a little less than Butterfly because I do think Butterfly Jasmine is the best out of the three, but this one isn’t far behind.

Flavors: Jasmine

have you tried gongfu style with a gaiwan?

no I haven’t-I actually never heard of a gaiwan before before just now. I looked it up and it sounds interesting!

The only thing about gongfu style is that I can only drink a couple cups of tea with caffeine in it per day or else I get jittery or an upset stomach. It sounds interesting though!