Dragon Pearls

Jasmine, Floral, Grass, Vegetal, Perfume, Hay, Salt
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

So seductive

Incredible as it seems, each of these pearls was hand-rolled. It’s a tradition that began over 1300 years ago, when a Chinese emperor wanted to give an original gift of love. Made from green tea scented with blooming jasmine flowers, they are perfect little gems. When you infuse them in hot water, they will release the most intensely beautiful scent as they slowly unravel and come to life. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Chinese green tea from Zhejiang Province, scented with jasmine flowers.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My go-to tea for sushi, or something to save for special occasions. Bought 25 grams of this. I wish I would have bought more. Delicious, beautiful, and aromatic. Can’t say enough good about this tea.

This tea requires a fairly low temperature and a quick steep time. Otherwise it becomes bitter and overbearing. I quite love my temperature-controlled kettle for this reason.

RAWR! I imagine myself drinking this tea with a DRAGON! Deliciously scented with jasmine for a gentle sweet green tea taste. I am in love with this tea!

Amazing. The smell blew me away in the store, and I bought my first full tin right then and there. I tried it earlier today and have already enjoyed four cups of the stuff. The smell is intoxicating, and the taste lives up to the smell. It’s like drinking a jasmine flower, which is very much up my alley.

My favourite green tea.
Amazing, you can taste the quality, and admire the beauty as the pearls unfold.
It has a somewhat salty, and earthy taste to it.
Very smooth and balanced.
It was somewhat bitter, but very interesting for a green tea.

Interesting = Dragon Pearls = Amazing.

Day 56 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

My dad calls these “dragon balls,” to which I can’t help but giggle and think of tea leaves with little stars inside…. perhaps I should brew seven and make a wish on them sometime!

Geekiness aside, it was an interesting experience. I brewed around 1tsp in a clear cup, mostly in a tea ball, but I put three in the cup itself so I could watch them unfurl. It was a nice little show, I must say, though not as colourful as a blooming tea.

The taste… I’m not a fan of jasmine, but this was a lot better than I thought it would be. Not at all bitter when a shorter steep time is stuck to, and it’s still rebrewing quite nicely a few cups later (I save the tealeaves in the ball and have had a couple cups since). I plan to milk this teaball-full as long as I can before getting rid of them!

OK so this tea looks pretty scary when its steeping – like a bunch of dead spiders in the bottom of your cup…BUT give it a chance because it’s a really solid jasmine green tea!

TheKesser

lol I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that!

I splurged and bought some dragon pears as jasmine is my favourite tea of all time. I was a bit disappointed. I found it wonderfully sweet and very light, which I’m sure would please a lot of people. I tend to like my teas on the bitter side, so the sweetness was just not to my liking. However, it was probably one of the best cups of tea I’ve ever had, just not one for everyday drinking.

I also bought some rose petals and added them to the pearls….was lovely.

Boiling 8 min or more

This is an excellent jasmine tea, but over steeping it can make it unbearable. This ended up accidentally being steeped for 4 minutes and I couldn’t finish a cup. It was tolerable piping hot, but simply awful cold.

David’s tea has 3 jasmine green teas:

Silk Dragon Jasmine- $7.75/50 grams
This one: $14.50/50grams
Butterfly Jasmine: $19.75/grams

Currently I own a little of each as I love jasmine green tea and want to compare them. Along with this tasting note I am doing a side-by-side comparison of Silk Dragon Jasmine so go to that entry if you want my take on it :).

This tea is closer to Butterfly Jasmine than Silk Dragon Jasmine by far. Like Butterfly, the leaves are rolled up into little bundles that unvravel as they steep, which is quite pretty. The tea is light and the jasmine is prominent, but I find that Butterfly Jasmine has a stronger Jasmine flavour than this one. Still, this is a very close substitute and what you save money wise makes up for a slight loss of flavour. I’m still going to rate this a little less than Butterfly because I do think Butterfly Jasmine is the best out of the three, but this one isn’t far behind.

Flavors: Jasmine

Kirkoneill1988

have you tried gongfu style with a gaiwan?

Kristal

no I haven’t-I actually never heard of a gaiwan before before just now. I looked it up and it sounds interesting!

Kristal

The only thing about gongfu style is that I can only drink a couple cups of tea with caffeine in it per day or else I get jittery or an upset stomach. It sounds interesting though!

The scent of this tea is so relaxing I feel as though I should be drinking it at a fancy spa between pampering treatments. Either that, or it should be cold brewed and in my water bottle as I hike along secluded trails in the mountains. I love jasmine teas, and this is no exception. It’s not so strongly floral as to be overpowering, and the green tea base is both refreshing and smooth. It’s also beautiful to watch the pearls unfold as they steep. It’s not an everyday tea for me, but it sure does the trick when I’m in the mood for something that feels refreshing and rejuvenating.

I really don’t have anything negative to say. This is my favourite green tea as of late.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Jasmine, Vegetal

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
rosebudmelissa

I really love their Jasmine Phoenix pearls. I don’t drink it often, but when I do it’s sooo good. I might need to check this one out next time.

Kristal

I really want to try this tea too. Have you ever tried butterfly jasmine? Expensive but amazing.

rosebudmelissa

No, I haven’t. What’s it like?

Kristal

Light green tea with a more prominent jasmine flavour. The tea is hand rolled into little “butterflies” that slowly unravel with each steep. It’s really beautiful and a true pleasure to drink.

Sounds delicious!

M

All of those sound wonderful. I love jasmine green teas.