Dragon Pearls

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

So seductive

Incredible as it seems, each of these pearls was hand-rolled. It’s a tradition that began over 1300 years ago, when a Chinese emperor wanted to give an original gift of love. Made from green tea scented with blooming jasmine flowers, they are perfect little gems. When you infuse them in hot water, they will release the most intensely beautiful scent as they slowly unravel and come to life. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Chinese green tea from Zhejiang Province, scented with jasmine flowers.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My go-to tea for sushi, or something to save for special occasions. Bought 25 grams of this. I wish I would have bought more. Delicious, beautiful, and aromatic. Can’t say enough good about this tea.

This tea requires a fairly low temperature and a quick steep time. Otherwise it becomes bitter and overbearing. I quite love my temperature-controlled kettle for this reason.

RAWR! I imagine myself drinking this tea with a DRAGON! Deliciously scented with jasmine for a gentle sweet green tea taste. I am in love with this tea!

Amazing. The smell blew me away in the store, and I bought my first full tin right then and there. I tried it earlier today and have already enjoyed four cups of the stuff. The smell is intoxicating, and the taste lives up to the smell. It’s like drinking a jasmine flower, which is very much up my alley.

My favourite green tea.
Amazing, you can taste the quality, and admire the beauty as the pearls unfold.
It has a somewhat salty, and earthy taste to it.
Very smooth and balanced.
It was somewhat bitter, but very interesting for a green tea.

Interesting = Dragon Pearls = Amazing.

Day 56 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

My dad calls these “dragon balls,” to which I can’t help but giggle and think of tea leaves with little stars inside…. perhaps I should brew seven and make a wish on them sometime!

Geekiness aside, it was an interesting experience. I brewed around 1tsp in a clear cup, mostly in a tea ball, but I put three in the cup itself so I could watch them unfurl. It was a nice little show, I must say, though not as colourful as a blooming tea.

The taste… I’m not a fan of jasmine, but this was a lot better than I thought it would be. Not at all bitter when a shorter steep time is stuck to, and it’s still rebrewing quite nicely a few cups later (I save the tealeaves in the ball and have had a couple cups since). I plan to milk this teaball-full as long as I can before getting rid of them!

OK so this tea looks pretty scary when its steeping – like a bunch of dead spiders in the bottom of your cup…BUT give it a chance because it’s a really solid jasmine green tea!

TheKesser

lol I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that!

I splurged and bought some dragon pears as jasmine is my favourite tea of all time. I was a bit disappointed. I found it wonderfully sweet and very light, which I’m sure would please a lot of people. I tend to like my teas on the bitter side, so the sweetness was just not to my liking. However, it was probably one of the best cups of tea I’ve ever had, just not one for everyday drinking.

I also bought some rose petals and added them to the pearls….was lovely.

Boiling 8 min or more

I start each teaching day by steeping myself a large cup of Dragon Pearl tea before my students arrive for the day and let the jasmine smell permeate at my desk.

In my large (16 oz) mug, I add in about 10-12 pearls with hot water that I temper with a bit of cool water so that it isn’t boiling (no temperature adjustment on the kettle at work), and I let the pearls unfurl in my cup.

I get a decent 3 infusions from the pearls before I consider adding new ones into my cup.

This tea takes well to multiple infusions. It has a pale orange-yellow liquor that darkens as the tea is left to sit. This tea is floral and jasmine-y, but not soapy tasting.

As a bonus, you don’t need many pearls of this tea to make a good cup, so it’s very long-lasting. Despite this, I’m not sure if I’ll buy this again once my current package runs out – there are so many jasmine teas out there that I’d like to try so I can get a better comparison.

I tried this today in a to-go cup. As stated in my previous tasting note about Butterfly Jasmine, I have been trying to increase my green tea consumption as well as to try more traditional teas as opposed to flavoured ones. It is really neat to watch these “pearls” unravel into the little “dragons”; they practically triple in size! In terms of taste/smell the jasmine is overwhelming! This tea is practically identical to Butterfly Jasmine! It is definitely an acquired taste that I don’t think everyone would enjoy but if you were curious like I was, there is no harm in giving it a try. I can’t see myself rushing out to stock up on it but I would not hesitate to drink it again.