Jumpy Monkey

Yerba maté Tea
Almonds, Carob, Clove, Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Beans, Oat Straw, Red Clover, Roasted Yerba Mate, White Chocolate
Espresso, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “Sipdown!! (198) I actually searched "sipdown" when I tried to find this tea. Luckily I realized what I was doing and was able to find the tea. Though I enjoyed this, I am not particularly sad to...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1827 tasting notes
  • “2-3 TB for a gourd, 1 packet stevia (equals 2 tsp sugar) New batch -- ai! David, what happened?? This is all bitter and harsh, and even extra stevia ain't helping. My darling Jumpy Monkey has...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 508 tasting notes
  • “Today is one of those days where I have no idea what kind of tea I want to drink. I'm also a little grumpy--apparently there are 3 boxes full of tea waiting for me at the post office, but instead...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “If you subconsciously associate the "Chunky Monkey" ice cream from Ben & Jerry's with this tea, well... Try not to. I had a visions of a sweet almond caramel nutty tea, maybe even banana. You...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 263 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

This brew uses ingredients from the Rain Forest Alliance to give you a tasty boost. It combines freshly roasted peaberry coffee beans with Argentine maté, and laces them with almonds, white chocolate and other roasted barks and roots. The result is deliciously satisfying. And by buying this rainforest product, you’ll be fighting global warming and helping the monkeys. No wonder they say maté makes you efficient.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My mom is a big maté fan, so if she loves teas like this I should too, right?

Wrong… something about matés just comes off as musty-tasting to me. I wanted to like this, since I can no longer drink coffee I need something in the mornings to get me going. Jumpy Monkey just doesn’t appear to be that tea, guess I will have to stick with Jungle Ju Ju for the energy boost in the mornings.

I bought this tea for a boyfriend almost a year ago to help him get through his long student nights and he loved it. In fact, a year later, he still loves this tea and swears by it for an energy boost before a workout or to get him in a creative mindset to write. So, I steeped some today because I had a terrible night of sleep and thought it would be the perfect start to my day.

Sorry to say, Jumpy Monkey is probably the most disappointing tea I’ve tried from Davids Tea to date. It smells wonderful and perhaps that’s why I was so disappointed when it turned out to have such a lack lustre taste. Initially, it has a mild taste of cloves but over time it turns out tasting like… leaves. It leaves a taste in my mouth that I imagine would resemble the taste of chewing on fallen autumn leaves. It also leave my tongue feeling waxy and oily which I didn’t quite appreciate first thing in the morning.

To be fair (and recognize that I may have done something wrong, as this seems like a cult favorite), the tea does go from bad to worse as it cools. Next time I’ll steep it in much hotter water to see it it makes a different to the brew, and also play around with the steep times. But for now, I’m ecstatic that I did not let the charming sales associate talk me into buying 100g of this tea.

Other than the taste, the tea does everything it claims. It is an instant energizer which lasts in the system for a long time. However, in my world of teas I can easily find a replacement with a better taste.

This tea has been sitting in my cuboard for a while now and I decided to bring it out to try this morning. I really enjoyed it. I have a big sweet tooth so I usually go for much sweeter teas but with a bit of honey, jumpy monkey was great for me. The coffee beans in it gave it a nice lingering coffee taste ( like when I smell my roommates making coffee in the morning) without having to drink it.
If you really don’t like the taste of coffee, this is not the tea for you.
I don’t see myself getting addicted to this tea like I am with some other ones but I will definitely be returning to it soon!

Yum!

I wasn’t expecting to like this one much, having had bad experiences with mate in the past, but it’s so popular, and the description sounds so yummy, and I’m rather fond of spicy teas… so, I bought some to taste.

And it’s good! I get a lot of cloves from it, some cinnamon, and a little sweetness from the chocolate. I like the roasty, earthy flavour (is that the mate? The coffee? Or the “other roasted barks”?), and it has a surprisingly full body.

I drank about half of the cup unsweetened, and then added a bit of agave to see what that did. I like it both ways, but would definitely want the sweetener if I were replacing a morning coffee. There’s just something about warm and sweet that does it for me first thing in the morning.

Glad I took a chance on this one!

Didn’t think I’d like mates, based on the smell.. but I really love this tea! Gives me just the right amount of energy, without the jittery feeling I get from coffee.

Got to try this tea at work last week…I’m not much of a coffee fan as I find it too acidic, but this tea was amazing! Much lighter and perkier than other caffeinated drinks, and the hint of chocolate is delicious. Perfect late morning tea for me :)

I adore this tea. It was one of the first ones that I went back for a tin of. I drink this instead of my coffee now in the morning. It’s excellent hot and not too bad when it’s cold. You can definitely taste the white chocolate and almonds in it. One of the girls at my local Davids told me that it’s also an appetite suppressant!

8 min or more

This tea is growing on me, and I find I enjoy it more with a bit of milk. I was hoping that the mate would be a better stimulant to help with my coffee cravings, but it’s not really giving me enough of a “buzz” for lack of a better term. I still enjoy it though.

ashika

i feel the same way- i really wanted to like this tea. Try the coffee pu’erh

I’m still not sure regarding this tea. I got a sampler from DavidsTea mostly for the caffeine intake as i’m not the greatest of coffee peoples. But it just doesn’t really taste like tea. I made sure the second time to brew only to the required temp, but i accidentally oversteeped it and put a little too much sugar (yes i’m one of those people, but it’s amazing what flavours half a tsp of sugar can bring out in teas). It’s ok. Just ok. I like the undertones of the coffee, but it’s nothing particularly special. Perhaps a third brew with the right amount of sugar will give me a better understanding.

Ok, at first I really HATED that tea. Reading the ingredients, it seemed to be a good energizing blend that would taste like coffee, almond and white chocolate, miamm, sounded good! But when you let it steep according to what it says on the label, it’s just like cloves and wood steeped in water, so agressive and bitter.
Today I felt kind of down and I wanted a good tea I wasnt used to drink, so I gave Jumpy Monky a 16th chance by steeping it only a minute and a half and it was actually good! Not even only more drinkable, but I would definetely drink it again anytime. The cloves didnt have time to take all the place so I had only light notes of almonds and coffee without that wierd wood taste.
it’s a good one to drink when you feel like having a wake-up drink instead of coffee that tastes different than any classic.

Flavors: Espresso, Wood