The Earl's Garden

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by sylviedroz

• “It's being held hostage in my travel mug. I can't get the top to open and I can't get it to ACTUALLY open either. Cries. I managed a sweet few sips out of it because it leaks...time to find a new...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “Love this one in the hot weather. Juicy berries, citrus, and a good, strong tea base to keep your energy from flagging. I give it a shortish, slightly cooler than boiling steep to keep the...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew. Brewed for about 8 hours. I think I prefer this one as a hot brew vs a cold brew. There is more strawberry, raspberry taste as a cold brew. However, the...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 749 tasting notes
  • “To be fair, my stash of this is getting on in age (1 year? 1.5?)but today's cuppa was just not great. There was no bergamot, and only a light hint of fruit to mask the black tea that went bitter...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 680 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

When he wasn’t in China discovering secret tea recipes, Britain’s second Earl Grey lived at Howick Hall in England, just like his ancestors had done since 1319. And also like his ancestors, he was a keen gardener and outdoorsman. This tea would no doubt have suited him, with the characteristic black tea and bergamot highlighted by strawberries, raspberries and essence of black currant.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I had run out of this one and I’m glad that I finally bought some more. It’s a great morning tea and since I broke up with my boyfriend yesterday and will almost definitely never see him again, I needed something bright to cheer me up. And earl greys are my favourite anyway. I enjoy it on the second steep too.

aisling of tea

so, so many hugs My message box is always open if you need a stranger to talk to.

aisling of tea

Hell, we’re located in Toronto too, if you ever want to meet up for a cuppa!

Kittenna

hugs :(

Jessie

Sorry to hear that. :( I hope the Earl helped brighten your day a little.

gmathis

Change is hard; goodbyes are hard; both at once is almost more than a body can bear. May you find a little joy in the day anyway—even if it’s in something as simple as a good cuppa.

Tina S.

offers you hugs and seconds Aisling’s offer of an ear and a cuppa in the GTA

Bonnie

Poor you…really mean this! I’m staying completely alone for life now …took a bit,but I’m very happy now! You being young will have deserved love and companionship! Drink your favorite tea’s!

Erin

You guys are so sweet :) I’m feeling a lot better now, thanks everyone!!

Forgot that I had picked up a small sample bag of this at the store when I was on holiday. I already have a bag of Earl Grey Creme from Teavana (and only drink it when I have a cold), but the scent of the dry leaf was just too delicious smelling not to try this.
I’m not sick, but I was in the mood for an Earl Grey tonight. And this is the first time I’ve had this, but the second it hit my tongue all I could think was “My GOD that’s beautiful”.
I was afraid this might be overly floral or bitter. Not so. Used boiling water and a 5 minute steep. The Earl Grey and bergamot are definitely present, however the berry is also very much there too. There is a little bit of floral in the back of the sip, but it’s not overwhelming and really adds to the experience. Added a little sugar and it really brought out the sweetness of the berries.
This is SO much better than Teavana’s Earl Grey Creme. I absolutely love this tea. It reminds me of Victorian ladies in gloves and gowns sipping tea in a garden in the afternoon. I’ll be getting a tin of this the moment I get through my current bag of Earl Grey (if I get this now, I’ll NEVER use that up).
This is a great “drink anytime” tea. Any time of day, any time of year, any mood. So many teas are “summer” or “fall/winter” teas, or “morning” or “evening” teas, or are for when you want to sleep, or when you want something sweet, etc. This one is just good for anytime, and it’s beautiful.

Every once in a while, I start to crave an Earl. My wife had this one last night and it just smelled so good! Mmmm. So I’m enjoying a cuppa this morning in my new winter Winnie The Pooh mug. It’s nice and fruity and the bergamot doesn’t take over, which is always my complaint with Earls.

Love this one. I might need to make this my work tea today…

TeaEqualsBliss

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while :)

Erin

Such an awesome tea! I’ve been getting really into earl greys recently :D

Earl Grey is not my favorite, but I must have thought otherwise at some point as I found a 100g tin in the cupboard. I am not usually home weekday afternoons but am today…..it is rainy and windy…..baking some banana bread and wanted a good solid black tea……

I had been to Davids and bought the light blue giant mug – I love those big mugs ( I have the red sweater one too)….so good for a giant cup of tea, soup, cereal…..they are heavy but….still good…..I also bought some of davids new creamed lemon honey…..and put some of that in this tea….it’s pretty tasty…..no rating since I doctored it up with the flavoured honey……I just don’t love bergamot……will have to try the honey in something else…..like ginger tea! – that would be nice I bet…..

Anyway nice and cozy afternoon, sadly I have to go out in the rain to physio so hopefully the tea wakes me up…..

This is really more of a strawberry tea than an earl grey. It really tastes like a delicate strawberry and when lightly steeped it balances with the bergamot and earl grey well. When oversteeped (which I sadly do too often) The blackcurrant comes out and makes the blend pretty bitter. I couldn’t taste the tea at all when it got to that state.

It has been a weekend of old favourites. Sipping on this right now, and I am really enjoying it. I wouldn’t describe the flavour of this one as natural. It is kind of perfumey which I normally don’t enjoy, but I like it in this one. The flavour of this is hard to describe but it’s probably a lot more simple than it tastes, a little bergamot, a little berry, mainly strawberry I’m getting, but it just works so well.

First steep: No cream or sugar. Sweet with a hint of tartness. I don’t taste the EG much in this at all?
Second steep: One sugar, one cream. Also steeped for longer since I wasn’t sure how much it had been weakened. Even better! Definitely a favourite.

Drinking this one last time before I send it off with the boy, since it just doesn’t do it for me (and he’s an Earl Grey fan). However, since I haven’t ever properly reviewed it, I figured I should do so before getting rid of it!

The dry leaf smells like a good (to me) Earl Grey; lots of flavour and bergamot and a big POW of a delicious florally-berry scent. That’s the reason I bought it, hoping that delicious berry/floral scent would be predominant. The smell of the steeped tea retains the delicious scent, which makes my mouth water every time.

And I have to admit… today the tea actually is pretty good. I meant to steep it for four minutes but missed the timer going off, so I’m not sure how long the tea ball was in there. Probably only an extra minute or so. It’s reflected in the small amount of astringency I can taste, although it’s not nearly as strong as the last time. And I can actually taste the berries this time! Exciting! I do like Earl Grey’s, but I’m so accustomed to drinking them loaded with milk and sugar that my mouth rebels a bit when the creaminess isn’t there (which is why by contrast, I can drink Cream of Earl Grey just fine).

So. Looks like this one isn’t the washout I thought it was, but I’m still sending it away :P I can always buy more later, and right now I’m preoccupied with trying other sorts of tea.

Hmm.. ok, as I’m drinking it down with a freshly made oatmeal raisin cookie and some dried mulberries (did you know Bulk Barn has them?? I’m SO adding extra to Gold Rush next time I buy it!) I am actually rather enjoying its lack of sweetness, but can’t much taste the berry flavour anymore. Oh well!ETA: A second steep is weak, but still drinkable, with a lingering floral scent. I think that’s as far as I’d take this one though.

In my ever-pursuing quest to make use of this tea, i had the bright idea of mixing it with some quality chinese oolong with some dried figs that i found lying around. Perhaps i wanted the fruity taste profile to come through like the Forbidden Fruit. I put in massive chunks of fig lol. Turns out, it sucked. No matter what i seem to do with this tea, i can’t find myself to like it. Second steeping, i added some blueberry honey and it tasted much better. I guess this tea tastes best when you can’t taste it..

Indigobloom

have you tried adding mint? that’s my answer to all teas that need fixing lately :)

politicalmachine

noted, thanks! will keep that in mind next time :)

Holy berries Batman! I’m not really a fan of fruity teas, but we wanted to give this one a try because I’m getting hooked on bergamont. In the tin the scent of berries seems artificial and altogether too strong, and it is overpowering in the [hot] cup. Our tin sat untouched in the cupboard for ages and I was about to throw it out when I tried cold-brewing it to make some iced tea. It was amazing!! I was really impressed at the smooth flavor of the brew that didn’t have even the slightest hint of bitterness. Oh, and it had the most wonderful body! It was the first time I have ever experienced a thick cold-brew liquor. As a hot tea, I would not recommend it at all unless you really really like berries. Then you should still save your money and just buy some berries and some good tea. But if you are a cold-brewer than for sure try this one out!