The Earl's Garden

Blue Cornflowers, Calendula Petals, Ceylon Black Tea, Strawberry
Bergamot, Berries, Earl Grey, Floral, Fruity, Rose, Strawberry, Astringent, Perfume, Lemon, Berry, Earth, Sweet, Citrus, Bitter
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

Berry Bounty
When he wasn’t in China discovering secret tea recipes, Britain’s second Earl Grey lived at Howick Hall in England, just like his ancestors had done since 1319. And also like his ancestors, he was a keen gardener and outdoorsman. This tea would no doubt have suited him, with the characteristic black tea and bergamot highlighted by strawberries, raspberries and essence of black currant.

Ingrendients: Black Ceylon tea, strawberries, blue cornflowers, calendula petals, natural and artificial bergamot and strawberry flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea was kind of disappointing. I got it as a gift, and it sounds like it would be a great tea, but on first sniff it smelled strongly of berry bubblegum. Fruity to the max, but in an artificial kind of way. Once steeped, the flavour is very similar to the scent. The bubblegum is slightly toned down, but it’s still not the true berry flavour I would have liked.

I had a friend over who quite liked this tea, and the friend who gifted it to me loved it, too, so I think I’m the only one who’s getting this artificial kind of bubblegum note.

I’m not the one for fruity teas but I really enjoyed this one.

It smells very strongly of fruit and there’s definitely a high citrus note in there. The fruit smell is quite pungent to a point where it overpowers the bergamot of the earl grey.

When I steeped it, it retained a lot of it’s fruity qualities but it’s not nearly as intense as Bear Trap. It’s more than just a hint of fruitiness. I adore earl grey but this tea isn’t as strong as the ones I usually drink. Regardless, I was still surprised how much I liked this tea.

I usually drink this with some honey.

It’s a fruity Earl Grey, no surprises here. I actually get strawberry from this, but it’s a little on the sour side, especially if this tea steeps more than two minutes. Glad I tried it, but I’m not sure it’s the Earl for me.

This used to be my favorite tea but it’s recently changed to be much more artificial. It does not taste the same at all.

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I was quite hesitant about this blend because I’ve read so many bad things about Earl Grey/fruit blend’s, but it has all my favourite ingredients, so I wanted to give it a shot. I’m so glad I did. I can really taste a sweet (but not acidic) fruity flavour from strawberries and maybe blackberry. There are floral notes like rose but they aren’t distracting. I really like the black tea they use as a base in this one. The base tea is flavourful but not bitter. The bergamot goes really well with fruits and flowers. I really can’t stress enough how harmonious all the flavours are. I love everything about this tea.

Flavors: Bergamot, Berries, Earl Grey, Floral, Fruity, Rose, Strawberry

Toted 16 oz of this along with me to tutoring today after dressing it up with a little milk and the juice of a tiny wedge of lemon. The blend itself is gorgeous and seeing the little blue petals fall out of the bag I’ve left untouched for nearly a year had me wondering how I could have avoided this one for so long.

I really care for bergamot in general, and it’s there with a perfume-y presence right at the nose, both with the dry blend and the lingering scent of the brewed tea. The lemon wedge brings this fragrance through to the taste, and the milk offsets the acidity of the black leaf. The drinking experience, with the dairy factored in, is something of a Strawberry Creme Saver—remember those?

This is definitely one of DAVID’s better blacks, but I think I’d like to sample higher-end earls before purchasing this one again. Any recommendations out there?

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Earl Grey, Perfume, Strawberry

6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

What is it with me and Earl Greys? (Grays? Oh well.) I should like them! They’ve got a lot of my favorite flavors (black tea, citrus), but I never quite sit square with them.
And this one? I should love this one! My love of fruity black teas is very well documented, but I find myself falling almost completely flat with this. I’m afraid I find this somewhat soapy in my mouth, not a rich and sweet berry at all.
Bleh, your lordship. Bleh.

So it’s been over a week since I last wrote a tasting note, and I’ve certainly been drinking tea in the mean time so it’s probably about time for me to finally catch up on this growing queue…

A lot has happened in a week;

Trey’s parents have come up to visit several times and during those times they’ve been taking heavy note of the status of the condo. It’s been decided that Shauna’s cat Vinnie can’t stay here anymore: he’s causing a lot of property damage and Shauna doesn’t seem to be home enough to keep a closer eye on him. On top of that, while borrowing Trey’s car she got two speeding tickets which will, of course, reflect his record and not hers. So, since tensions are high between the two of them and she refuses to get rid of her cat, she’ll be moving out by the end of April if not sooner…

I’m pretty sad about it, to be honest. I adore Shauna as a friend and have had a really great two months living with her. We get along so well as roommates; but I’m quickly watching her friendship with Trey deteriorate over all of this so I think it’s probably for the best that she move out before the friendship they’ve built up is completely lost.

One good thing has come from all the parental visits though; I have overwhelming approval from both parents. Frankly, that’s kind of a new thing for me – I don’t tend to make the most solid first impressions, and my second and third aren’t that wonderful either. However I guess, compared to Shauna’s general slobby habits and Vinnie’s destructive behavior, Eilert and I are pretty perfect roommates. We mostly keep to ourselves, and we’re much cleaner. Plus, I make tea for the parents when they’re in town.

Such as this tea: the first night Trey’s parents came to visit I made two different pots. One based on his dad’s preferences and one based on his mom’s. This was his Dad’s choice: he asked for an Earl Grey and I had three choices to offer him: Mount Gray from Andrew & Dunham, LP’s Peach vs. Formosa, and this one. He liked the idea of strawberry EG so this is what I made. Personally, I thought it tasted a pinch artificial, but he adored it.

+1 Parental Approval Points?

EDIT: I should point out that Trey’s parents get so much say in the roommate/pet situation because they own the condo that we all live in.

Christina / BooksandTea

I’m glad your living situation is working out! Though I hope Shauna finds a new place without much trouble; if I were in her shoes, I wouldn’t want to give up my cat either.

Lynxiebrat

I think its messed up that Shauna’s speeding tickets are going to effect Trey instead of her…yeah I get its his car…but still.

So fruity and strong! So so so good.
Not bitter or astringent at all. Aroma is intense!
Second steep was great. Probably could’ve gone for a third.

Flavors: Strawberry

A delicious fruity earl grey. I love it with milk and it’s also divine in earl grey shortbread cookies.

The strawberry flavor is strong with this one. Colleagues can smell it when I am drinking a cup in the same room.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lemon, Strawberry