The Earl's Garden

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by sylviedroz

• “It's being held hostage in my travel mug. I can't get the top to open and I can't get it to ACTUALLY open either. Cries. I managed a sweet few sips out of it because it leaks...time to find a new...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “Love this one in the hot weather. Juicy berries, citrus, and a good, strong tea base to keep your energy from flagging. I give it a shortish, slightly cooler than boiling steep to keep the...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew. Brewed for about 8 hours. I think I prefer this one as a hot brew vs a cold brew. There is more strawberry, raspberry taste as a cold brew. However, the...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 709 tasting notes
  • “To be fair, my stash of this is getting on in age (1 year? 1.5?)but today's cuppa was just not great. There was no bergamot, and only a light hint of fruit to mask the black tea that went bitter...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 675 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

When he wasn’t in China discovering secret tea recipes, Britain’s second Earl Grey lived at Howick Hall in England, just like his ancestors had done since 1319. And also like his ancestors, he was a keen gardener and outdoorsman. This tea would no doubt have suited him, with the characteristic black tea and bergamot highlighted by strawberries, raspberries and essence of black currant.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea was kind of disappointing. I got it as a gift, and it sounds like it would be a great tea, but on first sniff it smelled strongly of berry bubblegum. Fruity to the max, but in an artificial kind of way. Once steeped, the flavour is very similar to the scent. The bubblegum is slightly toned down, but it’s still not the true berry flavour I would have liked.

I had a friend over who quite liked this tea, and the friend who gifted it to me loved it, too, so I think I’m the only one who’s getting this artificial kind of bubblegum note.

I’m not the one for fruity teas but I really enjoyed this one.

It smells very strongly of fruit and there’s definitely a high citrus note in there. The fruit smell is quite pungent to a point where it overpowers the bergamot of the earl grey.

When I steeped it, it retained a lot of it’s fruity qualities but it’s not nearly as intense as Bear Trap. It’s more than just a hint of fruitiness. I adore earl grey but this tea isn’t as strong as the ones I usually drink. Regardless, I was still surprised how much I liked this tea.

I usually drink this with some honey.

Day 1 of the Easter Advent Calendar! At least…I think it’s Day 1. There are no numbers printed on the doors, so you kinda pick a spot on the “path” printed on the box and start there. I decided top of the path instead of bottom of the path. Maybe I’m doing things backwards. Don’t care.

I had purchased this tea for someone else once upon a time, but I’ve never tried it myself. The dry leaf smell is definitely “Earl Grey and Something”, and the steeped smell is “Fruity Earl Grey”. I don’t know if I can pick out any one fruit flavour, but it smells delish.

The taste? Also quite good. I’m not generally a fan of Earl Grey tea, so I never would have thought to try this on my own initiative (the friend I bought this for LOVES Earl Grey, so I bought her a custom pack of all of the Earl Grey and derivatives that David’s has). I’m glad it was part of the calendar. I still have about 2 cups left (used my little tea cup for it, since it’s caffeinated and I was having it before bed…not usually a good idea), so if I still feel the same way after the other 2 cups I’ll be a happy camper.

Verdict: might buy. I’ll have to see how the other 2 steepings go. But if you like Earl Grey tea, you’ll likely be a fan of this version.

Too fruity for me. I am a huge earl grey fan but this one just didn’t do it for me. Tried it once and I won’t be buying this one anytime soon.

This one has been on my “Tea’s to try” list for a loooonnnggg time now (over 2 years!) and it was just yesterday that I finally got around to trying it. I had this in a to-go cup while I was out shopping. The earl grey base definitely does come through however most of the taste came from the strawberries which gave the tea a fruity and sour note. The strawberry is definitely toned down in this tea compared to other strawberry teas such as Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait and Sweet Strawberry. I definitely enjoyed this tea and would drink it again however it’s not one I would rush out to buy. I would recommend trying it for yourself too.

Very fruitful and refreshing tea.

This tea used to be one of my top three favourites, and as much as I still love it I hardly find myself drinking it anymore.

I love Earl Grey flavour, but I find it can be kind of dull occasionally. That’s why I love this tea, because it adds a fruity note to it that is unexpected and very refreshing. Like Kusmi’s Prince Vladimir, I find myself drinking this in the morning most often.

And is it just me or do certain teas bring nostalgia? This is one of them for me. Whenever I smell or taste it, I feel like I’m transported back two years ago when I used to drink this tea all the time. It’s a weird feeling.

Again, like Cream of Earl Grey, this seems to be a basic for every tea cupboard. However you don’t need to have Earl’s Garden and Cream of Earl Grey, I would just pick one or the other since they are so similar. This tea smells more of a strawberry Earl Grey then it actually taste. The smell is delicious, but I wish it tasted more like it smells. All in all, it is decent and I would also keep this one in my cupboard as a staple. Nothing to scream about though.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I love this, and have to have it with cream and sugar. The Bergamot is heady, but not too much so, and it’s nicely balanced out with sweet berries. It’s a fruity treat of a tea.

This might actually work very well as a bubble tea. Maybe I should get some tapioca balls…

The only thing I dislike about it is how it lists “artificial flavor” in its ingredients. Arrrgh, David’s Tea!

Anyway, I imagine a fairytale princess might like this very much with her strawberry scones while sitting in her rose garden and hanging out with her rabbit pals.

All I taste is soapy tea. I don’t taste any strawberry or citrus. My first sip started as a normal black tea, my second became soap. Won’t be getting more of this.