The Earl's Garden

Blue Cornflowers, Calendula Petals, Ceylon Black Tea, Strawberry
Bergamot, Berries, Earl Grey, Floral, Fruity, Rose, Strawberry, Astringent, Perfume, Lemon, Berry, Earth, Sweet, Citrus, Bitter
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

Berry Bounty
When he wasn’t in China discovering secret tea recipes, Britain’s second Earl Grey lived at Howick Hall in England, just like his ancestors had done since 1319. And also like his ancestors, he was a keen gardener and outdoorsman. This tea would no doubt have suited him, with the characteristic black tea and bergamot highlighted by strawberries, raspberries and essence of black currant.

Ingrendients: Black Ceylon tea, strawberries, blue cornflowers, calendula petals, natural and artificial bergamot and strawberry flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m on a huge earl grey kick right now. I’m also pretty passionate about floral teas. What could be better than mixing two of my favourite things?

Lots, probably. It’s not something I was thinking of when I delved into the 100g can right from the get-go. Note to self: Samples are always a good way to go.

This is a backlog tea. I’ve had it several times cold-steeped and hot-steeped.

Nose: Can someone bottle this up and sell it? It smells divine.

Flavour (boiled): 1.5 tsp per cup of boiled water. This tea started off well, like a sweeter, tangier earl grey. Then, a wall of astringent bitter strawberry flavour hits me. I like my earl grey with milk and sugar. This one, no. Berries and milk do not mix. It’s like a warm, sour strawberry milkshake. No, no, no. Never again with the milk.

Flavour (cold-steeped): 3tsp per 2 cups of cold water, left to steep in the fridge overnight. The astringent taste is much more muted. It’s intensely flavoured. There are bits of floral and bits of bergamot. I like this one with a bit of sugar. I think the sugar tastes a bit like rock sugar with the sweet undertones of the tea. It would definitely make a lovely iced tea.

I think I’ll save this one to do cold steeps only, or I’ll try lowering the water temperature. The hot water seems to mess with the flavours.

EDIT: I’ve just learned that DAVID’s perfect tea spoon is meant for two cups of water, not one. I think I’ve been steeping the wrong amount for the past two years.

Steeped with the proper amount of leaves, it’s alright. I think I’ll just finish the tin and return to my regular earl grey.

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Earl Grey, Strawberry

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

I liked this one. It’s fruity and refreshing and tasty and light…. love it!

I tried this hot, but I think it would be much better iced. The floral notes overpowered the fruity ones a wee bit, and I couldn’t taste the bergamot at all. It was however sweet and pleasant. Reminder to self : Iced tea is OK. Tea pop is not.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity

Boiling 7 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

I tried a sample of this despite the fact that I’m not a fan of Earl Grey. It’s not bad. I wouldn’t purchase it because I’ve recently discovered that I don’t enjoy the combination of strawberries and black tea. Also, holy bergamot, Batman! It’s strong, so strong. My cuppa was really bold, despite all the additional flavors/ingredients. I added sweetener and quite a bit of non-dairy milk.

Flavors: Bergamot, Strawberry

I think I over-steeped it but not toooo much, it’s still good. The black tea tastes is smooth but I dont taste the strawberries that much. It’s nice :)

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This tea makes me happy. This tea was part of my Valentine’s Day gift from my hubby and I did a happy dance when I saw it. I am not a huge Earl Grey tea fan…straight up, normal Earl Grey does not appeal to me. But, with that being said, I really love Tealuxe’s Cream Earl Grey and The Earl’s Garden. This tea smells like summer – you get a very strong odor of strawberries and bergamot. And it’s fun to watch the bits of strawberry rehydrate during the steeping process. The flavor is light, you pick up on black tea and strawberries with just a hint of bergamot. I’ve only had this hot so far but I’d be curious to see how it tastes iced.

I find DT tends to give instructions for over steeping. I steeped this for about 3 minutes…any further and I think it would get too bitter

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

And my fixation on lightly flavoured black tea continues…

This one is really nice, actually. It’s been keeping me company on a day when I’ve been trying very hard to stay focused on studying. The caffeine is also appreciated. When I first smelled it, I worried that it would end up being too strongly floral for my liking, but the base tea is quite strong. and the fruit adds a nice sweetness. I bet this one would be fantastic iced.

I didn’t add anything to this one, but I’m curious as to what it would taste like with a bit of rock sugar. I may just do that on my next steep.

Flavors: Bergamot, Berry, Earth, Rose, Sweet

3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

You’re right, I can see this being quite nice cold.

Undrinkable. I bought 4 oz of this tea because I love Earl Grey and it smelled so yummy in the store. I have tried twice and I simply can’t drink this tea. I cannot even tell you what I don’t like about it except all those flavors don’t seem to go together.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Strawberry

3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is the last one I haven’t tried yet from Janelle (sent a while back). Thank you! Not a bad tea but the flavor seems a little faded.. probably my fault. The bergamot seems more like lime. Not a ton of berry flavor. The black tea is medium strength. Not bad for a Ceylon base.

In my opinion, I don’t really think there is such a thing as a horrible tea. It just depends on your palette. I am personally not a fan of Earl’s Grey tea but I decided to take a leap of faith and try this fruity twist on the classic. And it actually wasn’t that bad. Would I get it again? Probably not. But definitely something to sip on for a cloudy day.

Flavors: Earl Grey, Fruity, Strawberry