Toasted Walnut

Green Tea
Butter, Cake, Pineapple, Walnut, Coconut
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Has it really been two months since I last drank this one?? Maybe I'm just confused because I've sent it off in a bunch of swaps :P It's oddly cloudy today. Tastes alright, but not sure what's...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I just finished this one, and I have to say: I’m a little sad to see it go. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it isn’t an “absolute-gotta-have-it-love” There are so many other types of tea out...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells fragrantly nutty both dry and brewed - more of almond than walnut. Tastes mostly of almond flavoring but there is also some fruitiness from the pineapple. Sweet with a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    caile 164 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Krystalen* for sending me this lovely tea! So it's the afternoon here, and I'm about to embark on a 3 day weekend. I should be feeling a bit happier, but instead am kinda glum. Perhaps...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2345 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Drink it fireside

Traditional Chinese medicine says walnuts are a warming food. Which makes sense, because this is the kind of tea you spontaneously want to cozy up to on a cold winter afternoon. The comforting, lightly bitter taste of toasted walnuts is sweetened and deepened with dried pineapple, coconut, almond and organic green tea. Sip it in front of an open fire and chase away the cold.

Ingredients: Chinese sencha green tea, nut brittle, candied pineapple, coconut rasps, almond flakes, walnut bits.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really love this tea, and I always forget about it. But I have more on its way to me, thanks to Courtney, and I really wanted a sweet, delicious green tea this evening. It’s quite perfect for that.

In the mood for one of my old school Davidstea favorites. I was going to have Buttered Rum but it’s seriously putrid. Completely rotten. I’m actually going to bring what’s left of my bag to the store to make them smell it. Haha. I need more. But clearly coconut tea doesn’t last that long.

Had this instead, I used to like it even when I didn’t know to not make it with boiling water. So now it’s extra good. Reminds me a bit of the plain Genmaicha I have (not from Davidstea).

I don’t notice much besides the nuts and sencha though. No coconut and no pineapple taste, but I’m sure it’s helping to sweeten it, I guess I can taste the pineapple if I try really hard.

Weird that the coconut in this tea didn’t turn weird…. I’m sure I got them around the same time. Hm.

Anyway it’s an old favourite for a reason! I like that it’s not too sweet. Takes the edge off the green tea. Brewed as per their directions.

I’m listening to Silverchair. Another old favourite, older than the tea, way back to jr high/ high school! I think just dated myself :)

ETA
I’ve been drinking so many new teas lately it’s hard to force myself to drink more than one steep (though I do), so sometimes they sit in my little tea basket on the counter until the next day waiting for their resteep which may never come. I was just making some tea, and I needed an empty steeping basket to use, I could not remember what was in one of them, so I was trying to think back to what I drank last night…. It was this. The already steeped still wet leaves have no real smell, and I tried a resteep so I can confirm they also have no real taste. Which works great for me because now I can throw them away after one shot totally guilt free :)

jessiwrites

Mmmm, I just got more of this in the mail today! So tasty.

OMGsrsly

Silverchair! Now I have to see if I have their CDs ripped so I can put them on my phone. :) And I also have to go sniff (maybe drink) the buttered rum I have.

jessiwrites

You didn’t get a good second steep out of this one? I just had some the other day and resteeped it three times, and then dumped the leaves in a jar to cold-brew… and had a delicious cold tea the next day. :/

Kittenna

I find that with flavoured teas, the number of good infusions I can get is unreliable. I think it depends to some extent on water:leaf ratio, but also whether or not I shuffle around the infuser basket while it’s steeping, which lets out more flavour.

whatshesaid

I think I’m just not a fan of weak tea… I don’t use more than enough leaf for one cup (10-12 mug), and I find a lot of teas are so flavourless after one steep that its not worth it to me, especially green. I didn’t stir the leaves around, just took a sip of the weak liquid (it didn’t even have a scent at this point!) and dumped it for something better. I don’t know if other people are doing something different or if I just have no interest in “delicate” flavour or what. I do try to do two steeps of everything though. Just often it’s so weak I don’t enjoy it. In fairness, this tea is probably close to 2 years old at this point so the flavour may have been compromised from the start. I also didn’t want the second steep so was happy to chuck it without further investigation. I don’t want to work hard for tea, haha.

I’m on my phone so I apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors!

whatshesaid

*(10-12 OZ mug)

Also I should try the cold brew thing, that might be beneficial to me!!

jessiwrites

Yeah, I just dump my used leaves in a jar and add some water, and let it sit for up to 24 hours, checking every now and then to see how it tastes. It’s a fun experiment, since I was going to toss out the leaves anyway.

In an effort to clear out my cupboard of teas that I wasn’t a fan of hot, I’m trying this one iced. Yuck, still not a fan. I think it has something to do with the walnut. SIPDOWN, though!! ;)

Finally getting around to this sample from Kittenna! I know, I am a slow tea drinker. ;~; I have SO many samples that even with 3-5 cups a day I’m mightily behind. Yet I keep swapping! It’s an addiction, I tell you.

Given how similar the ingredients here are to Della Terra’s Walnut Brittle, I expected them to taste very similar. Somehow, they don’t! DT’s blend is like candy, and this is more toasty, nutty and down to earth. It’s not that sweet and I only get the smallest hint of fruitiness from the pineapple and coconut. It’s definitely toasted walnut that comes through the most!

Kittenna

I still have a sample of Walnut Brittle that I haven’t tried! I thought they’d be pretty similar too.

TassieTeaGirl

Oh my, I totally get the swimming in samples “problem”!

Finally remembered to pick this one up. I’ve been craving the nutty teas as of late.

The dry leaf smells like a bakery. Actually, it reminds me of Red Leaf’s flavoured matcha, like the caramel-esque, chocolatey ones.

First steep is pleasantly coconutty with a hint of walnut. It’s even a little creamy. Great flavours to match up with a green. The base is a little vegetal but not overwhelmingly so.

Second steep was still creamy, slightly nutty, and the vegetal undertones aren’t there.

Third steep got kind of wonky. Slight bitterness paired with a bizarre chlorine/bleach nuance. Where did THAT come from?

Overall, still good stuff.

Bleh. I like green tea frequently in the afternoon, but this one just isn’t doing it for me. It is too much of a mish-mash between sweet fruity flavors and savory Sencha. It also isn’t very nutty given its name. I know this won’t be a reorder for sure, though I was surprised to see it was one of David’s best-sellers. Dropping the score down a bit because I’ve never really been able to make a truly good cup of this tea yet.

In other news, for the flavor profiles today I couldn’t find mint, muscatel, or pineapple listed. Hopefully it can be updated because those are three pretty common tastes/aromas in tea these days, ya know?

This is a sample from Krystaleyn. Thanks for the generous samples!!! So on to the tea. We are sitting here talking about the tea and Dylan said, " It’s almost like a starter gen mai cha." Which was amusing to me because that’s the association I made with my first sip. Before you know it we will be finishing each other’s sentences all day long. ;)

This is a very interesting green tea. I was a bit surprised by the ingredients. I do think it was done really well though. I like the roasty walnut taste. I think I’m missing out on the almond in here. I just get walnut all the way. It’s a buttery, creamy tea so that may be what the almond contributes. I pick up on the pineapple and coconut together, an excellent pairing. The green tea pops out in the end. This feels like a tea I should drink after snowboarding for some reason. I haven’t done that in years. I’d probably break my neck if I tried to do it now.

The tea smells great in the bag; it’s heavy of pineapple and coconut and there’s a subtle quality of baked goods. None of the green tea is discernible. It’s an attractive tea. The leaves are bright green and uniform, there are whole pieces of walnuts and flecks of coconut and pineapple uniformly distributed throughout.

When prepared, it looks similar to chicken broth both in color and density. There’s even a faint oil slick from the coconut and walnut oils. The brewed tea really didn’t have much fragrance to note.

I haven’t been having great success with DavidsTeas in regards to flavor recently. This one turned out tart and grassy. The lingering coconut aftertaste is nice, but this wasn’t the easiest cup to make my way through.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Thank you for posting. The TW is a tea I’ve been considering for months but keep hesitating over.

Lori

I have not tried this one yet but David’s tea has been hit and miss for me as well….

tulokyn

And this is why tea is awesome. I burned through 100g of this tea in a little over 2 weeks because I love it so much. Sorry yours wasn’t tasty to you.

i just remembered that i made tea in my dream last night
i remember scooping out a teaspoon worth, inspecting it, and then putting it back in the canister repeatedly trying to get the right balance of tea elements on the spoon.
i know you know what i mean.

gmathis

There’s never enough of the good clumpy stuff when you get to the bottom of the package!

Tea Sipper

Yeah, I know what you mean! :D

I thought I would like this one but I don’t really. It’s probably because this tastes similar to a couple of other David’s Teas I tried and the other ones were better. This has the same bakery yellow cake flavor in Forever Nuts and Mulberry Magic, leaving me to feel like David isn’t being very original. The nuttiness is minimal and green tea tastes funky. Funky like wet tea leaves left over night and then brewed too hot. Except that I actually brewed at a lower temp with fresh dried leaves.

Husband liked it though so it’s alright. “mmm vanilla,” said he.

I’m glad I tried it! Only 3 more samples to go before I need to go back for more sample sizes! Research is hard work!