Toasted Walnut

Green Tea
Almonds, Coconut, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pineapple, Sencha, Walnuts
Candy, Caramel, Coconut, Cookie, Cream, Nuts, Peanut, Butter, Creamy, Grass, Sweet, Cake, Pineapple, Walnut
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “Has it really been two months since I last drank this one?? Maybe I'm just confused because I've sent it off in a bunch of swaps :P It's oddly cloudy today. Tastes alright, but not sure what's...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2276 tasting notes
  • “I just finished this one, and I have to say: I’m a little sad to see it go. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it isn’t an “absolute-gotta-have-it-love” There are so many other types of tea out...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells fragrantly nutty both dry and brewed - more of almond than walnut. Tastes mostly of almond flavoring but there is also some fruitiness from the pineapple. Sweet with a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    caile 171 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Krystalen* for sending me this lovely tea! So it's the afternoon here, and I'm about to embark on a 3 day weekend. I should be feeling a bit happier, but instead am kinda glum. Perhaps...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2420 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Drink it fireside

Traditional Chinese medicine says walnuts are a warming food. Which makes sense, because this is the kind of tea you spontaneously want to cozy up to on a cold winter afternoon. The comforting, lightly bitter taste of toasted walnuts is sweetened and deepened with dried pineapple, coconut, almond and organic green tea. Sip it in front of an open fire and chase away the cold.

Ingredients: Chinese sencha green tea, nut brittle, candied pineapple, coconut rasps, almond flakes, walnut bits.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I got this as an extra from David’s Tea when they mixed up something in my order. I probably wouldn’t have chosen this particular tea as I’m not hugely fond of walnuts – they irritate my mouth. But it turns out I didn’t have anything to worry about with this tea.

First of all the smell – oh the smell! – like sugar cookies that were straight out of the oven. Adding the water made the tea smell distinctly more nutty, more like a even combination of sugar cookies and toasted nuts.

The walnut flavour wasn’t nearly as strong as it could have been, which I’m perfect fine with, BTW. To be honest it’s more of a general nutty flavour that doesn’t really fit any particular type of nut. I can taste notes of coconut and almond in there as well as the walnut and there’s also a bit of sweet fruitness that comes from the pineapple.

Why in the world would any company call a tea that tastes like pineapple and coconut Toasted Walnut? Name aside this is awful. Its sickeningly sweet, fake, chemically pina colada. The green tea base did not get bitter, but the decent base was totally obscured by the candy pineapple. I didn’t taste any nuts, much less walnut. Toasted to me, implies some sort of nutty, almost smokey flavors – I didn’t get any of that either.
Sorry David – I don’t like this one.

1.5 tablespoons for 375 ml

Roasty flavour from the sencha with frosting sugary sweetness. Almond flavour present. Slightly artificial tasting. Flavours compliment each other very well.

Sipdown!

I got the sample of this yesterday with my DT order. I find it quite enjoyable, although I suspect I should enjoy it a lot more than I currently do.

In its dry form it smells deliciously of coconut which I like. Once steeped it’s vegetal and I detect coconut and some toasty notes. Possibly some nuts.

Upon re-steep it becomes mostly vegetal, buttery with some coconut notes still present.

I wish I had enough to try it again on another day. Today I’m in a blah mood, with blah weather outside, being blah, blah foggy out there. I suspect that’s influencing my tea perspective… I just can’t seem to get excited about anything so far today.

I’ll refrain from rating it on account of me being in a weird mood today… The jury is still out on this one.

TheTeaFairy

Boo for the blahs!

Green tea + coconut + pineapple = three of my favourite things. I also looove walnuts as well. It is safe to say I enjoyed this tea. I actually really really enjoyed this tea. I usually prefer my green teas plain without any other ingrediants but this is such a lovely blend. I would love to buy some for my shelf at home but my sister has deadly nut allergies and I do not want to risk it. Unfortunately I am too scared to bring home a lot of amazing nutty teas because of her allergies. I will just have to enjoy this one in store (:

Very odd, I never rated this tea? Well that sucks!

I had made this tea cold-steeped – 4 hours.

TASTE: Slightly creamy walnut juice – DONE! Okay okay, also has a hint of sweetness with a background of green tea. No bitterness or tart. Very walnutty and the coconut creamyness go together nicely. I can almost taste the walnut skin. I love walnuts, they look like brains.

COMMENTS: Okay, I don’t like sencha because for awhile people kept giving me sencha fruity teas and I just got sick how they all tasted the same and the tea just came out too strong. Toasted Walnut isn’t like that – the green tea came out wonderful in the cold steep.
Come on, coconut water being really popular? How about walnut juice, yeh!

From what I can recall, hot this tea is more sweet but not as nutty, but I think cold is more interesting with that strong walnut flavor. I could see myself buying more, that or go on a hunt for more walnut teas.

Iced

Dry Leaf Nose: Sweet green tea with hints of coconut and toasted walnut.

Liquor: Clean green/gold.

Flavour: A nice sencha green tea is primary and sweet, with walnut and coconut adding interest and fullness to the liquor.

I just wrote a long review and it disappeared and it was pretty brilliant isn’t that INFURIATING? EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE etc..

Short version..which goes against every fibre in my being..

Smells: nutty,slightly fruity,warming,green tea
Taste:Deep,woody,warming,slight bitterness,very nutty..needs a straightjacket
Do I like it:I want to but I think I steeped it a tad too long ..the potential is there and there will be more experimentation!
Who would like it:once bitterness is no longer a factor anyone wanting to expand their tea horizons and start the lovely foray into Green tea this is a great start..this would also be perfect on the ski slope in a Thermos ..and on any cold cold day.
After thoughts:
I will rate this on potential and go cry about my lovely verbose and sexy review getting vaporized.

Ninavampi

I hate it so much when that happens….

I’m at my mom’s for the long weekend, and therefore at the mercy of her tea collection and old kettle. After tossing out all of her five year old teabags I was happy to see she still had a couple bags of tea from David’s that I had gifted her at Christmas, including this one. I do get a nut flavour but one that isn’t overpowering. It’s an odd tea, and one that I can see why people enjoy, but I’m not sure that it is one that I want to add to my own collection.

It’s been a long time since I have had this one in my cupboard. I only recently picked more up, as I feel like I have been better with greens since then. I have to have to have to set a timer or I forget and oversteep my greens all to frequently. Since I started to do that, I am much happier with my greens.

This one is no exception. It’s back to being a have again. Not too bitter, lightly sweet from the pineapple, and the medium bodied green blends well with the walnuts. I originally tried it because I like genmai cha, and this is sort of like a variation on that.

Right now I am preferring this chilled, because it’s been hot here. Well, hot FOR HERE. It’s not hot by those who really know hot. I spent 30 years in Florida before living in BC. That is hot, and the humidity there is much worse than it is here…

Anyway, I will probably get more of this over the summer and into fall. I do really like it.