Toasted Walnut

Green Tea
Butter, Cake, Pineapple, Walnut, Coconut
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Has it really been two months since I last drank this one?? Maybe I'm just confused because I've sent it off in a bunch of swaps :P It's oddly cloudy today. Tastes alright, but not sure what's...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I just finished this one, and I have to say: I’m a little sad to see it go. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it isn’t an “absolute-gotta-have-it-love” There are so many other types of tea out...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “This smells fragrantly nutty both dry and brewed - more of almond than walnut. Tastes mostly of almond flavoring but there is also some fruitiness from the pineapple. Sweet with a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    caile 160 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Krystalen* for sending me this lovely tea! So it's the afternoon here, and I'm about to embark on a 3 day weekend. I should be feeling a bit happier, but instead am kinda glum. Perhaps...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2308 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Drink it fireside

Traditional Chinese medicine says walnuts are a warming food. Which makes sense, because this is the kind of tea you spontaneously want to cozy up to on a cold winter afternoon. The comforting, lightly bitter taste of toasted walnuts is sweetened and deepened with dried pineapple, coconut, almond and organic green tea. Sip it in front of an open fire and chase away the cold.

Ingredients: Chinese sencha green tea, nut brittle, candied pineapple, coconut rasps, almond flakes, walnut bits.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Hmmmm, I think I like it! alot!!!
this one reminds me of the coconut oolong I bought over Christmas, but more “green” (obviously) than oolong. There is a definite essence of walnut, with that same walnut taste in the back of the throat. Then there’s the coconut, which lends the sweetness to this brew. No sugar needed here! :-)
There is something else there, but I’m not sure if it’s the pineapple- most likely. It doesn’t taste unlike pineapple, but not especially so either.
If it wasn’t for the coconut oolong, this would get a 95 but because that other tea is SO similar, and I love that one, well I give this one a slightly lower score.
EDIT: The walnut, while good, has gotten a bit tiresome now that I am at the bottom of the cup. Down another few notches…
Second EDIT: The second cup is realllllllly smooth, as usual with a green or oolong, but it still takes me by surprise every time! It’s significantly more mellow now, but some of the walnut is lost. Hiking the rating back up! Like a rollercoaster this one…

If your looking for a very nutty tea, this isn’t the one you should be looking at. Try forever nuts. This one is mildly nutty but not super nutty. The walnut flavor is present but still a bit empty of yo ask me. The tartiness of the pineapple over rides the nuttiness along side the coconut smell and taste. I liked it. But I was quite disapointed with the lack of nuttiness, that is all. Coconut and pineapple combine very smoothly in this one as oppsed to piña colada ( another davids tea) .

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @80C, steeped three minutes, drunk bare.

I tried a sample of this earlier today at a DavidsTea and quite liked it. Fresh China green tea with a slight fruitiness and a buttery mouthfeel. The pineapple in the ingredients had always turned me off, but here it works, quiet an subtle in the background. I adore walnuts, though you can barely taste them; it’s more of a mouthfeel, a slightly biter silkiness. I’ll go with a shorter steep next time; the pineapple is more pronounced here at home, and the liquor is quite cloudy.

way to ruin your tea allyson… so i got distracted and oversteeped this. but even though it’s awfully bitter it’s STILL not a terrible cup of tea. i am always pleased when i realize i’ve oversteeped a chinese instead of a japanese green. bitter i can take but i hate the fishiness of oversteeped japanese sencha.

I like this, when you get a bit of everything in the steep…

My only sample of this is from last year’s advent calendar. My first cup had a bit of walnut, a bit of pineapple and a nice amount of green. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, subsequent cups have been lacking on the pineapple or the green tea, so its been a bit odd. But I imagine if I’d had a 50g bag it might’ve worked a bit better! Rating this based on the best cup I had.

afternoon cuppa after a heavy meal, i always like a little green tea after a greasy meal it makes me feel a little less guilty.

Backlogging

This is so good. It is definitely going on my to-buy list. I can taste the walnut, and the coconut along with the green tea. I don’t get any bitterness from the tea or from the walnut, which is surprising, actually. Other nut flavored blends, since if they have walnut in them I often taste a bit of bitterness that I’ve always associated with walnuts. So maybe I was wrong in my past associations, or David’s Tea just did an excellent job with this tea. I’m definitely going to get more of it. Eventually.

I bought this tea because it smelled AMAZING dry. I was a little apprehensive about trying it though, because I really didn’t like Forever Nuts (I know I’m in the minority here— I think it’s the beetroot! But that’s a tale for another time).
So I brewed it up, and I wasn’t immediately impressed— there’s not much aroma to the tea, I was expecting a lot more. But then I tasted it, and it tastes just like the dry tea smells! There’s a nice cozy round nutty flavour in there, and the green tea doesn’t make it grassy or bitter at all. Personally I can’t seem to taste the pineapple at all, but I have no problem eating the pieces of it straight from the bag!
For me this is not so much a “put in a travel thermos and take to the library to study” kind of tea, more of a “put in a big mug and sit inside by the window on a cold day wearing a sweater” kind of tea.

dlonie

I completely agree about the window+sweater with this one, I might go make some now… Glad to know that I’m not the only one who picks fruit/nuts out of the bag to eat :-)

A review of Toasted Walnut by Davids’ Tea

Company: Davids’ Tea
Tea Name: Toasted Walnut
Tea Type/Varietal: green
Region: China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Liquor Color: brownish
Leaf Characteristics: tea leaves are laced with bits of coconut and other type nuts and the leaves are green. When steep the tea leaves are fuller somewhat and still green with the bits of the coconut not as visible…seeming to dissolve in the water.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

I received this tea as part of the tea sampler from An International Tea Moment’s Green Tea Expedition. As they had suggested the order in which to try the tea; I am having this one. The tea seems to be heady with the aroma of the coconut and when sipping of the tea this is what one is met with. The tea has a slightly grainy texture with the flavoring of the coconuts.

It is a good cup of tea, not too strong is the mixture either and there does not seem to be any astringency. Overall this tea is sweetly mixed with the coconuts and almond giving it a vanilla bean taste as the aromas are presented throughout the tea.

Thank you for sending another good sampler my way.

Day 18 on the advent calendar… was too busy working to drink this yesterday. So I decided to make a pot this morning. The smell was comforting, but did not make me think of walnuts, but I still think this is a good tea. It isn’t just a regular mug of green tea, there is a special twist, a different ( good) taste to it. And I really am just enjoying it this morning. This is something I would consider buying when my tea collection dwindles down a bit.