Coco Chai Rooibos

Chai Fruit Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Coconut, Ginger, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pink Peppercorn, Rooibos
Coconut, Spices, Cinnamon, Creamy, Sweet, Cardamon, Cloves, Ginger, Peppercorn, Rooibos, Spicy, Cocoa, Caramel, Vanilla, Chocolate, Clove, Honey, Cream, Pepper, Candy, Fruity
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “Having this is a tea latte from the Pearson Airport DT… omg. So delicious! A bit weaker than I would like, but the flavour is fabulous. It was recommended that I have it with soy milk (and I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3132 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday when I made some of this tea iced to take to the Managers meeting, I had two young lads race up the the counter and ask for a sip. I made too much for my travel mug and rather than put...” Read full tasting note
    erinn 232 tasting notes
  • “When I bought this, I saw coco in the description and said “Ooooh chocolate chai!” and threw it in my cart. When it arrived I said “Oooooh I’m in the mood for some...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Seriously, how good is this rooibos? I still can’t believe I even like a red rooibos. I’ve been going through a bunch of my teas and trying them with this soy creamer I bought the other...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1521 tasting notes

A spicy adventure

If you’re into spice-based chais, this one is for you. It’s got a smooth base of caffeine-free rooibos, and a satisfying kick of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and piquant red peppercorns. Plus there’s a strong hint of coconut, for a slightly exotic twist. Try it straight up or infused in hot milk for a truly fabulous chai latte. It’s the kind of thing you get addicted to.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Rooibos, coconut, cinnamon, ginger root, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Brewing this a little weak, because I’m finishing it off and I don’t quite have a full serving left. But making it in a smaller vessel as well, so hopefully it at least somewhat balances out.

The coconut is what’s coming through clearest for me, with some of the sweetness and spice added to it. Unfortunately, I’m not a huge coconut fan, but I still don’t mind it. I think it would be better, for me, with milk and sugar, but someone who is more into coconut would probably adore this straight.

I brewed it with water the first time but it was meh. The second time, I heated just milk to almost boiling, then added this tea. That did the trick! The best tea that hits the spot for those “snack” cravings. Sweet, spicy, and frothy. A great balance.

Just a note though, it tastes better than it smells. A sniff will be too strong. Just have to have faith that the flavours meld more delicately after brewing.

195 °F / 90 °C

That baby hooked me up on Davids’ Tea. It’s the second tea I bought in Vancouver and I do not regret it! I took a 5k walk to get a refill for this one! My spicy-tooth is gone down so I kind of forgot about it. However, tea conserved in a can is good for 2 years. It’s just like the description renders it. It’s strong, spicy, but delicious. A Latte with this one is God on earth. For those who don’t like coconut, don’t buy it. The taste is quite something.

Thanks to Super Starling! for this sample.

I had just spent the last hour or so mowing the lawn and weed whacking in the 85 degree summer weather. Beautiful day, really. A nice breeze to keep it from getting TOO hot. However, it’s still working in 85 degrees. So, when I came inside to cook and eat dinner, I wanted something ice cold to drink.

I’m not sure if I’m SUPPOSE to ice this tea. I’ve never iced a chai before, I don’t believe. The website said I could. So I did. And the reason I picked out a chai in the first place is I thought it would pair well with my dinner. We get our meat from a local farm. It is grass raised, organic, and delicious. We are kind of at the mercy of whatever they happen to have processed recently but I kind of like the surprise. Right now, we happened to have a nice bone in pork shoulder roast that needed to be cooked. So, I rubbed it down with some fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper then I threw it in the oven while I went to work outside.

Aside from the roasted pork, I also made pine nut couscous and some sliced apples. It all felt very fall-ish to me so I thought that a chai would pair nicely. I think I was right. Mostly.

I really enjoyed the scent of this both dry and brewed. It has a typical chai scent with a hint of coconut. I made this with about half the water it called for because I knew I was putting it over ice. I did combine two steeps however, one of 4 minutes and one of 7 minutes. After icing it, the chai flavor became a bit subdued. It wasn’t too spicy. In fact, I’m having a harder time picking out the distinguishing flavor in it. It is pretty smooth though. And the coconut gives it a nice scent profile. The coconut is more of a background note in the flavor but it is there.

While there isn’t much boldness to this, it is a nice consistent flavor and does satisfy. I’m sure brewing it warm will leave quite a different impression. I intend to try it that way next time I make it. Overall, this is a fairly decent interpretation that I wouldn’t mind drinking again.

Flavors: Coconut, Spices

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
Super Starling!

Warm is spicier, I suspect. I’ve actually never iced it. Maybe I’ll try that tomorrow. It’s SO HOT OUTSIDE. Please help me. I am dying.

We finally are getting a break today as it is only going to be 75 degrees. However, we have a heat wave headed our way. Next week we are supposed to have 4 days of 92 degrees or hotter. F. That.

My friends talked a lot of smack about this one, but I am standing by it. I like that it’s decaf, so I can chug it without risking the jitters.
As a side note, is it true that rooibos is good for asthma?
I read this while researching rooibos, but does anyone have any, like, actual knowledge of this? (Or anecdotes supporting it?)
All I could find was this study, which seemed inconclusive:
I haven’t noticed much of a difference in my own asthma, but I’m usually drinking tea while sitting at my desk, not really straining my lungs.

That’s a good question!

First off, respect for the official research article. My inner nerd loves that. Second, I do wonder if it is beneficial for asthma, how much would need to be ingested. I know they are talking about extracts there so I would be curious as to how many cups per day that would translate to in order to get the same benefit.

Super Starling!

@mtchyg: I kept finding things about rooibos and asthma, but they were on these “everything green is good for you without any drawbacks, ever! THIS WILL SAVE YOU FROM CANCER” sorts of hippie-dippie websites. Those sites can be a good place to start, but I don’t take them as actual medical information. I had to dig around. Unfortunately, my exercise routine varies a lot, and if it’s just me alone testing it, there’s no control. I have no way of really studying it, unfortunately. I yearn to know more.

I hear ya. I just appreciate an actual legit medical journal article. BTW, you are pretty much my favorite reviewer on here. Love your funny randomness.

Super Starling!

I can’t keep it together very well, dude. It’s a bunch of geeky pop culture references and candy tea. There are so many people on here that seem to have their lives together. “On the second steep, I noticed some wood flavor with light notes of cherry and licorice.” And I’m like, “This is the kind of tea Splinter would drink in his sewer apartment.” I like to hope there’s a place for us all.

I’ll admit, I lean more towards non-altered loose leaf. But I completely appreciate and admire your silly creativity. I’m actually more like that IRL honestly but with tea apparently I get a little more serious. But I don’t know. Some of my reviews have some silliness but… You da real MVP

Super Starling!

There are times I wish I could turn it off. Sometimes I feel like I’m too “schtick”-based. Like a character from Big Bang Theory or New Girl instead of an actual person. I never felt this way until those types of shows became popular, then I began to fret that I was some sort of geeky “manic pixie dream girl” stereotype. Back in middle school, I thought I was too alone, now I’m oversaturated. ALWAYS A COMPLAINT.

Haha you grew into your stereotype. Well, if there is ever curiosity to go more straight laced on the tea, let me know for a swap. You can school me on the yummy flavored style of teas and perhaps I can find something “plain” that speaks to you.

Super Starling!

I’d love to! Which of mine would you like to try? Everything in my cupboard is available except the Pecan Ice Cream, which is very close to steepdown. Send me a message!

Note to self: you don’t hate this one. It’s just a bit weak for you, so you need to use more tea.

From OST’s stash sale.

I made this as a latte since it smelled like it would be rather sweet, and that’s how I prefer my rooibos chai anyway. It was deliciously smooth and creamy, but a bit sweeter than I prefer and surprisingly lacking in spice for a chai. It might be nice for blending, bu t I find it somewhat lacking on its own.

Flavors: Coconut, Creamy, Sweet

Arby Robilliard

I find I can really taste the peppercorns and ginger when I let it steep longer than 6 minutes. Because it is a rooibos, you can steep as long as you want without it getting bitter. It is one of my favourite chais, but I only like it steeped a long time. I find it is normally extremely flavourful, perhaps you got an older sample?

It’s possible. Or maybe I didn’t steep it long enough, or maybe some of the spice was drowned by the milk.

This tea is a nice pick me up on a loooong night shift tonight. Brewed up it has a lovely spicy aroma from the chai base – cinnamon, cloves, ginger and peppercorns are all listed in the ingredients. Flavour wise, it’s a nice balance of creamy coconut and cardamom mixed with the chai spices. Definitely a pleasant mixing of flavours. I got this as a sample pack from my last David’s order.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coconut, Creamy, Ginger, Peppercorn, Rooibos, Spicy

205 °F / 96 °C 7 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

Was thinking about purchasing this again. It’s been a long time since I’ve had it and it makes a nice latte

This tea was ok-I might make reach for another cup sometime in the future.

I picked this up recently, in an attempt to find a low or no caffeine chai. I picked up the Kashmiri Chai a few weeks ago, and the blend of chai spices and green tea was nice. I decided to give this one a go, despite my dislike of rooibos, especially red rooibos. But I like chai, and I like coconut, and I was hoping that these two flavours might dominate and reduce the bits of rooibos that I dislike, and I am happy to say that I think I was right. I had some of this yesterday with a headache, and I was pleasantly surprised. I only picked up a small amount of this to try, but I will try a bit more when this sample runs out. I think this could be a regular thing for me..