Coco Chai Rooibos

Chai Fruit Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Coconut, Ginger, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pink Peppercorn, Rooibos
Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Ginger, Candy, Cloves, Peppercorn, Rooibos, Spicy, Creamy, Fruity, Sweet, Spices, Clove, Cream, Honey, Vanilla
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “Having this is a tea latte from the Pearson Airport DT... omg. So delicious! A bit weaker than I would like, but the flavour is fabulous. It was recommended that I have it with soy milk (and I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday when I made some of this tea iced to take to the Managers meeting, I had two young lads race up the the counter and ask for a sip. I made too much for my travel mug and rather than put...” Read full tasting note
    erinn 232 tasting notes
  • “When I bought this, I saw coco in the description and said "Ooooh chocolate chai!" and threw it in my cart. When it arrived I said "Oooooh I'm in the mood for some chocolate!" and made a pot. I...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Seriously, how good is this rooibos? I still can't believe I even like a red rooibos. I've been going through a bunch of my teas and trying them with this soy creamer I bought the other week,...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 915 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A spicy adventure

If you’re into spice-based chais, this one is for you. It’s got a smooth base of caffeine-free rooibos, and a satisfying kick of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and piquant red peppercorns. Plus there’s a strong hint of coconut, for a slightly exotic twist. Try it straight up or infused in hot milk for a truly fabulous chai latte. It’s the kind of thing you get addicted to.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Rooibos, coconut, cinnamon, ginger root, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Wasn’t planning on drinking tea tonight, but I figured that since I have a final tomorrow morning, it’s be nice to have some company as I cram as much information as I can in the next couple of hourse. And if I’m drinking tea this late, it’s gotta be caffeine free!

Coco Chai Roobois. Sipdown (114)
When I read the name of this tea, I totally thought that the coco bit was chocolate! But I reread it and realized it was coconut and I’m slowly developing my palette to enjoy coconut flavoured teas :)

This smells funny. I think it’s the fact that there’s coconut in this and it’s chai and no lemongrass. The last time I had a coconutty chai was Adagio’s Thai Chai and that had tons of lemongrass in it. But this? It’s less tropical and more… rooibos-y.
It’s nice! Definitely taste the coconut and I need to learn to love coconut! I know this tea is great and all, but just the fact that I don’t enjoy coconut as much as others.. yeah. I will finish this cup happily, but if I liked coconut, then I know that I’d enjoy it much more!!

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Delicious! I thought that this would be like a blend of adagio’s thai chai and a regular roobios tea, and boy was I wrong! But in a good way. This tea tastes like a creamy coconut cake with clove , honey and and slight ending note of the pink peppercorn. The cream and honey come out even more if you add a bit of raw honey. I think this will definitely be a stable in my house!

Flavors: Coconut, Cream, Honey, Peppercorn, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 4 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

This review is going to make me sound like such a shill for David’s Tea, but oh well. Also, it’s a sample sipdown.

So, this is a sample that I got in my recent order from David’s Tea. Not only is the tea from David’s, but I brewed it in a David’s Tea teapot, measured out the leaf using a David’s Tea’s perfect spoon, and sweetened it with some of David’s cinammon-flavoured creamed honey.

On top of that, I’m drinking it at the same time as I’m tasting a bar of David’s Coco Chai Rooibos-infused milk chocolate.

I don’t work for them, I swear! Anyways..

Dry leaf: Bits of rooibos, cardamom, and peppercorns were visible. I was surprised by how fruity this smelled when dry – I thought I detected something lemony. Looking at the ingredients, I was probably responding to a mixture of the ginger, cardamom, and coconut. Quite refreshing, actually.

Steeping parameters: I know that I underleafed this. I only had enough in the sample to make 2 8-oz cups of tea, but my teapot is 24 oz instead. I let the kettle come off the boil for about 5 minutes, then steeped the whole lot for 6 minutes.

Liquor: Orangish red, like a dark terra cotta. The ginger and the rooibos combine here to make a smell that’s surprisingly lemony/fruity. Definitely unexpected. The liquor and the dry leaf smell very similar, and the strongest taste is of ginger and cardamom. I was hoping to get more coconut out of this than I expected (though the coconut flavour is much more present in the tea-infused chocolate). However, because I underleafed this significantly, it’s entirely possible that there are several layers of flavour I’m missing.

Verdict: I think I like the chocolate version better? I’ll definitely finish off this pot, and see how drinking a properly-leafed cup from the store would taste.

I never really liked Chai until I found this tea. It is the perfect tea for a cold winter night.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I made this into a latte with a little bit of vanilla when I heated up the milk. Put it this way, I spent all day looking forward to it. When I finally got to make it…16 hours later, it did not disappoint. The perfect mug of peace after a long stressful day. Next time I may just add a tiny touch of stevia just to sweeten it up a little bit.

Boiling 7 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I got this tea as a gift from a co-worker. It has a great balance between the spices and the sweetness of the coconut and rooibos!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Coconut, Peppercorn

This is the only rooibos I’ve tried so far that I can say really like. And that’s because it doesn’t taste at all like rooibos. I can’t even smell it in the blend and usually it automatically puts me off, even if I can smell it only a little.

I’m really enjoying it tonight as my last cup of the day. It’s nice and warm, very different from the other chais I’ve ever tasted. It’s mostly ginger, with a sweet aftertaste of coco. Yummy.

As it stands, rooibos isn’t one of my favourite teas. There’s a certain taste to red tea that I find too earthy, and when blended with many other spices, can be muted altogether. I’ve heard it’s great for sinuses and allergies, which should be a reason I drink more of it. And some of the main mixes I’ve seen with red tea include citrusy notes like orange, and fruity herbs like lavender, my faves. But still, red tea doesn’t quite cut it.
And yet!
This blend was quite surprising. DAVIDsTeas isn’t one of my top tea stores to buy from, and would honestly rather buy from smaller tea vendors. But when it comes to creativity, I have to say Mr.David has a vivid imagination.
The pink peppercorns were by far the most outstanding flavour punch and I think that was a great decision. The coconut was missing, and for me, that’s quite all right: it’s not a preferred taste. The cinnamon grated so finely as to camouflage into the red tea was also a brilliant idea.
I usually let my tea steep for way over the suggested time. I let this sit for 12 minutes and added a teaspoon of light honey.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

Ok, I understand why this one is popular. While it’s not to my usual tastes, it’s quite nice and a nice intro to the planet of rooibos and chai.

Finally, a chai I can handle! I’ve tried several in the past that had way too much pepper in them—too sharp. This one smells very sharp dry, but brewed it’s gentle and a little sweet. Right now I’m trying it plain but I’d love to have some with milk too.

The cardamom and coconut make this tea slightly floral, and the mix of flavors almost reminds me of some desserts I’ve had at Thai restaurants. I think I could easily get addicted to this blend in the winter months!