Pumpkin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Black Tea, Caramel, Carrot, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Peel, Pumpkin Pieces
Cinnamon, Clove, Pumpkin, Caramel, Cloves, Creamy, Nutmeg, Pastries, Smoke, Spices, Artificial, Butternut Squash, Smooth, Sweet, Ginger, Molasses, Candy, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, Bergamot, Carrot, Tea, Cardboard, Spicy, Butter, Lemon Zest, Malt, Maple, Sugar, Orange Zest, Apple, Honey, Citrus Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

Celebrate the harvest

Let’s face it, the best thing about fall is pumpkin pie. And this spiced black tea is arguably just as delicious. It’s got all the warmth of cinnamon, squash pieces, cloves and cardamom, plus the sweetness of caramel and pumpkin candy. For a true autumn treat, top it up with steamed milk and stir in a spoonful of brown sugar. It’ll make you wish it were fall all year round.

Ingredients: Black tea, cinnamon, cloves, caramel (skimmed milk, sugar, glucose syrup, butter, sorbitol, mono and diglycerides), carrot, lemon peel, pumpkin candies (sugar, rice flour, cottonseed oil, soybean oil, corn starch, gum arabic, cellulose gum, yellow 6, conf

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m starting to find it kind of funny just how many teas I’ve tried from David’s without ever placing an order from them yet. I wanted to hate this company when I first heard of it, simply because it seemed like another big chain Teavana sort of deal to me. But, after trying a bunch of different things and always being pleasantly surprised, I am most certainly going to be placing an order. Probably around Black Friday or Christmas. Do they usually have decent sales?

So, this tea. I have a love/hate relationship with pumpkin teas because I want to love them all until I find out that I can’t taste pumpkin or that there is way too much cinnamon/spices. But, again, I was pleasantly surprised here. Although I still wouldn’t grab this one when I’m thinking pumpkin, I liked this one more than any of the other pumpkin chai teas I’ve had because the spices were perfectly suited to my tastes.

Thanks, Ost, for letting me try this one!

Flavors: Spices

Nxtdoor

Last year I waited for their Black Friday sale and found there wasn’t much of a sale. So all my orders were placed elsewhere. (Della terra, butiki and a couple of others)

The Cookie Lady

Good to know! I’ll probably end up saving my Black Friday budget for places with great sales, too. And maybe I’ll just place an order with David’s around the first of the year or something. Thanks for the heads up on that!

6/10 in my Halloween Tea Marathon, and yet again it’s from KittyLovesTea.

I absolutely adore pumpkin tea, and this has been on my wish list for quite a while, and one of the ones I most wanted to try, so I was very excited to receive it in the secret pumpkin swap. It did not disappoint. I had the first cup of this plain, and was happy to find that the pumpkin flavour was prominent, with the spices complimenting it rather than overpowering it. A huge plus in my book! I have since had it with a pinch of brown sugar and as a latte, which blew my mind. I’m actually pretty sad that I love this one so much, since it’s a DAVIDsTEA and once it’s gone I have no way of getting any more. Please, David’s, open a store in England!!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 5 OZ / 150 ML

Taking a short break from the TTB (because the last tea didn’t work out well).

Thanks to Skysamuarai for including this in her Secret Pumpkin package.

I actually ALSO got this as part of my Secret Pumpkin package last year. Lol.
I’ve seen alot of reviews that say that this year’s blend does not really hold up to last year’s version. I have to say that I agree. Assuming that this is the current version.

The scent is a gentle pumpkin and spice scent, which is not bad. But the scent is not strong enough to carry over while actually drinking the tea. The black base is unassuming and unfortunately also non-distinctive. It is a smooth cup with barely any astringency or dryness, but not much wow factor either. Not any factors barely at all even, it’s almost like drinking scented hot water, that’s how tasteless this is. I’ve tried steeping at my normal parameters for black tea, and then also just leaving it in the infuser for a very long time to try to get something out of it. Oversteeping it lends a little astringency… to water. An odd concept isn’t it? I kept wanting to put in a bit order for this because I liked it so much last year. Glad I held back. There are plenty of other teas to keep my attention. (This made also made me miss Butiki’s pumpkin teas SOOO much).

p.s. I have no idea how people are mixing this as a latte. Maybe I just got a sample completely devoid of the chai spices.

tigress_al

I didn’t notice that mine tasted much different than previous years, but I will have to pay closer attention next time. Maybe I just got a good batch.

Bought one of the mini tins of this on a whim and was glad I did – my new fall fave! Perfect with a splash of milk and a little honey.

Flavors: Caramel, Pumpkin, Spices

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

1918 tasting notes

Thank you CHAroma for sending a sample of this a while back! A few days ago I was planning on this tea for Halloween. Hope everyone had a great Halloween! I was sipping on 52Teas Candy Corn today too. (No actual bag of candy corn is in my possession this year! HOW?) Even though the black tea leaves here look on the smaller size, the brewed mug is very light. The pumpkin sprinkles are adorable. I love the squash/carrot gives the blend SOME sort of vegetation (though they seemed to be lacking in my infuser) but why don’t pumpkin teas actually have pumpkin? It seems like even one pumpkin would be enough ingredients for a LOT of tea. The flavor here only had hints of squash. I wouldn’t say this is a typical chai… it isn’t very spicy (mostly cinnamon). But it’s a nice one. Reminds me of Della Terra’s Pumpkin Pie.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // just boiled // 4 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

Ok, I tried it again. This time I put 1 cup of water on the stove to heat up while I measured the 6g of tea (and picked out all the orange candies, and ate them for their sins). The water was boiling by the time I finished with that, so I dumped in the tea, put a lid on, turned the heat down, and let it simmer for 5min. I tasted the tea at this point at it was terrible. Like, horribly bitter. I was thinking that this was never going to work, but I went ahead and added 1 cup of milk, 2 tsp of sugar, and then stirred constantly over high heat until it started to simmer again. Then strained into a mug.

So it’s actually pretty good. I don’t think it’s much different from the version that involved simmering everything in milk + water. This is good news, because I’m pretty bad with anything that involves heating milk on the stove – too many past experiences with burning the milk or having everything bubble up and overflow, lol. This way seems easier. Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the idea of a tea that requires sugar and milk to make it worth drinking. Having said that, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble finishing up the rest of the bag. :)

Such a winner, this one. Exactly what comes to mind when you want a warming, seasonal tea for the fall. Perfectly yummy, I don’t see myself ever getting tired of it (well, maybe I will once spring comes around again, but that’s far off now). Love this tea!

Flavors: Caramel, Carrot, Cinnamon, Clove, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Nutmeg, Pumpkin

Boiling 7 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh, Pumpkin Chai, how I love you. I picked up a new tin for the season at my local David’s last night and I’m currently drinking my first cup. I love pulling this one out every year for the perfect fall treat. The cinnamon and clove notes are a little stronger than I remember, but not to the point of being overpowering. Currently enjoying this cup in the new ‘Spooky Colour Changing Perfect Mug’ from David’s. Feeling very festive today!

The perfect fall tea to have as we walked around the fall festival today in Virginia. A sweet pumpkin flavor that mixed perfectly with the black tea, and just a hint of spice to make it exciting.

Flavors: Caramel, Ginger, Pumpkin, Spices, Tea

DavidsTea, my guilty basic bitch pleasure. It’s like, negative a million degrees (okay, like… 65 degrees) outside, so I thought a chai latte would be the perfect way to start the day after sleeping in with my cat and about six blankets.

Pumpkin Chai Latte recipe:
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Chai
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Add milk to sauce pan; when simmering, add tea leaves. Keep at a simmer / low boil for six minutes. Add brown sugar, stir gently. Pour tea into glass through sieve, garnish with cinnamon stick.

Dry nose: Spicy, sweet, can definitely smell the pumpkin. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, carrot, and pumpkin.

Tasting note: Followed the above recipe. Creamy, sweet, spicy, and cozy. I haven’t had it straight yet, but if it’s anything like it smells I’m sure it’ll be amazing. I might add more clove and cinnamon, maybe a cardamom pod or two if I’m feeling fancy.

Flavors: Carrot, Cinnamon, Clove, Nutmeg, Pumpkin