Pumpkin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Black Tea, Caramel, Carrot, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Peel, Pumpkin Pieces
Cinnamon, Cloves, Creamy, Nutmeg, Pumpkin, Caramel, Smoke, Spices, Artificial, Butternut Squash, Clove, Smooth, Sweet, Ginger, Molasses, Candy, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, Bergamot, Carrot, Tea, Cardboard, Spicy, Butter, Lemon Zest, Malt, Maple, Sugar, Orange Zest, Apple, Honey, Citrus Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

Celebrate the harvest

Let’s face it, the best thing about fall is pumpkin pie. And this spiced black tea is arguably just as delicious. It’s got all the warmth of cinnamon, squash pieces, cloves and cardamom, plus the sweetness of caramel and pumpkin candy. For a true autumn treat, top it up with steamed milk and stir in a spoonful of brown sugar. It’ll make you wish it were fall all year round.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Thank you CHAroma for sending a sample of this a while back! A few days ago I was planning on this tea for Halloween. Hope everyone had a great Halloween! I was sipping on 52Teas Candy Corn today too. (No actual bag of candy corn is in my possession this year! HOW?) Even though the black tea leaves here look on the smaller size, the brewed mug is very light. The pumpkin sprinkles are adorable. I love the squash/carrot gives the blend SOME sort of vegetation (though they seemed to be lacking in my infuser) but why don’t pumpkin teas actually have pumpkin? It seems like even one pumpkin would be enough ingredients for a LOT of tea. The flavor here only had hints of squash. I wouldn’t say this is a typical chai… it isn’t very spicy (mostly cinnamon). But it’s a nice one. Reminds me of Della Terra’s Pumpkin Pie.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // just boiled // 4 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

Ok, I tried it again. This time I put 1 cup of water on the stove to heat up while I measured the 6g of tea (and picked out all the orange candies, and ate them for their sins). The water was boiling by the time I finished with that, so I dumped in the tea, put a lid on, turned the heat down, and let it simmer for 5min. I tasted the tea at this point at it was terrible. Like, horribly bitter. I was thinking that this was never going to work, but I went ahead and added 1 cup of milk, 2 tsp of sugar, and then stirred constantly over high heat until it started to simmer again. Then strained into a mug.

So it’s actually pretty good. I don’t think it’s much different from the version that involved simmering everything in milk + water. This is good news, because I’m pretty bad with anything that involves heating milk on the stove – too many past experiences with burning the milk or having everything bubble up and overflow, lol. This way seems easier. Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the idea of a tea that requires sugar and milk to make it worth drinking. Having said that, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble finishing up the rest of the bag. :)

Such a winner, this one. Exactly what comes to mind when you want a warming, seasonal tea for the fall. Perfectly yummy, I don’t see myself ever getting tired of it (well, maybe I will once spring comes around again, but that’s far off now). Love this tea!

Flavors: Caramel, Carrot, Cinnamon, Clove, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Nutmeg, Pumpkin

Boiling 7 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh, Pumpkin Chai, how I love you. I picked up a new tin for the season at my local David’s last night and I’m currently drinking my first cup. I love pulling this one out every year for the perfect fall treat. The cinnamon and clove notes are a little stronger than I remember, but not to the point of being overpowering. Currently enjoying this cup in the new ‘Spooky Colour Changing Perfect Mug’ from David’s. Feeling very festive today!

The perfect fall tea to have as we walked around the fall festival today in Virginia. A sweet pumpkin flavor that mixed perfectly with the black tea, and just a hint of spice to make it exciting.

Flavors: Caramel, Ginger, Pumpkin, Spices, Tea

DavidsTea, my guilty basic bitch pleasure. It’s like, negative a million degrees (okay, like… 65 degrees) outside, so I thought a chai latte would be the perfect way to start the day after sleeping in with my cat and about six blankets.

Pumpkin Chai Latte recipe:
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Chai
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Add milk to sauce pan; when simmering, add tea leaves. Keep at a simmer / low boil for six minutes. Add brown sugar, stir gently. Pour tea into glass through sieve, garnish with cinnamon stick.

Dry nose: Spicy, sweet, can definitely smell the pumpkin. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, carrot, and pumpkin.

Tasting note: Followed the above recipe. Creamy, sweet, spicy, and cozy. I haven’t had it straight yet, but if it’s anything like it smells I’m sure it’ll be amazing. I might add more clove and cinnamon, maybe a cardamom pod or two if I’m feeling fancy.

Flavors: Carrot, Cinnamon, Clove, Nutmeg, Pumpkin

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I have been drinking this just about every day since my order arrived. It’s completely what I was looking for, with the craving for pumpkin taking over ( I wish I were immune, I really do…but I’m so not! Pumpkin in the fall is heaven, however overused it may be…) I add a little milk and sugar to my cup usually, but I haven’t actually made it as a proper chai. It’s so good already, I haven’t wanted to take the time to mess with it. The spices are well balanced, and there is a definite ‘pumpkin’ presence.
So cozy and comforting! :)

boychik

yay i like it too and kids request it. i may need to get more before it disappears.

TeaTiff

So how do you make a proper chai? You both make this sound yummy.

Plunkybug

I didn’t like this one the first time I had it, as I had just had Saigon Chai and found it much weaker. The following year I had it again and liked it. It’s not the most pumpkin, and not the most chai, but it is tasty, and something I gravitate to this time of year.

DeliriumsFrogs

Boychik, my youngest daughter (9yr old) is my tea partner, but she hasn’t tried this one yet. She’s totally into warm cider with mulling spices right now. I’ll have to get her to try this, though. :)
TeaTiff, I’m sure I don’t make mine correctly. But, I like to use the milk of my choice, along with the measured out tea (usually 1 cup milk to 1tsp tea), and the sugar to taste in a saucepan on the stove. I’ll simmer for about 10 minutes and then strain it into a mug. If I’m using straight up tea that isn’t spiced (I really like A&D’s tiger assam for chai), I’ll add whatever spices myself to the pan (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, etc… whatever’s in my cupboard). It’s always SO yummy, but it dirties more dishes, and sometimes I just don’t want to clean them. lol
Amariel, which pumpkin tea do you think is most pumpkin? I’m totally new to loose leaf pumpkin teas (I’d just buy the boxed ones at the grocery store), and this year I seem to be craving pumpkin. :)

Plunkybug

I have not tried the others, but I think Teaopia had a pumpkin one that was a little more pumpkin. I may be misremembering. I have not tried the other two pumpkin teas from DT since they’re all sold out here. So far I have resisted getting any pumpkin chai, but I likely will soon, once I have drunk a little more of my cupboard down.

DeliriumsFrogs

My pumpkin chai is almost gone, so I might check out that Teaopia one (although, I may have to refrain from more tea purchases, since my bank account may not be too happy about it. lol).

Plunkybug

Teaopia got bought out by Teavana, so it no longer exists. I had some pumpkin chai today and it was gooood. I will eventually need to get some.

Uh… what? I kinda sorta get chai, zero pumpkin, and a really weird aftertaste… more cardboard? Seriously? And it smells like red hot candies. I don’t get it. Least fav of the DAVIDs pumpkin teas. Now all I want is more of the pumpkin cheesecake…

Flavors: Cardboard, Cinnamon, Creamy

Fjellrev

Seems like a cardboard kind of night for you. :/

MissB

Yea, makes me think I need to clean out my tea baskets – but these were the only cardboard ones – even since.

As per my usual fall ritual, I head down to my local DAVIDsTEA to pick up some more of this. Tastes pumpkin-y (is that a word?), warm, sweet,and spicy. Like autumn exploded in your mouth. Probably one of their best teas.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Pumpkin, Spicy, Sweet

Ya know…
This tea is actually growing on me. It’s like the perfect chai. Or at least close to it.
It’s not too chai-ish, which is why I really like it, and it’s not too pumpkin-y. I just find myself craving it…
I’m finding myself considering buying it since this is the last of the generous sample Boychik sent me. D:

On a side note, I actually wrote up a profile finally on here. xD I hate writing bios on websites. But figured it was about time. xD It kinda still sucks…but…it will get there one day…maybe. xD Unless I forget, which is very possible.
Anyway, this is a delicious and comforting tea.
Might have to buy it before it’s unavailable again :O

boychik

It was really good, your bio. I still have nothing to write about myself.

Ost

Aw, well thanks! I usually avoid writing those things as long as possible. xD But figured I’d give it a shot finally haha!

Can you do mine cause I’m lazy? Haha

Ost

Hah as long as you don’t mind yours looking super unprofessional then sureeee! :P I use too many faces on the internet…but I swear I’m not still 13!

The Cookie Lady

You’ve actually had something that’s TOO pumpkin-y? What is it???? I MUST have it!!!!!

Tealizzy

This one totally grew on me too. I was also not impressed at first, but I bought a 3.5oz. tin this year!