Pumpkin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Lazey

From DAVIDsTEA

Let’s face it, the best thing about fall is pumpkin pie. And this spiced black tea is arguably just as delicious. It’s got all the warmth of cinnamon, pumpkin pieces, cloves and cardamom, plus the sweetness of caramel and pumpkin candy. For a true autumn treat, top it up with steamed milk and stir in a spoonful of brown sugar. It’ll make you wish it were fall all year round.

Ingredients: Black tea, cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel, squash, carrot, caramel bits, pumpkin candies.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Dear David’s Tea,
Please stop putting all your samples in itty bitty tins that I can’t get my scoop in without tea spilling everywhere.
Love Jillian.

Oh. My. God. This tastes like those Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes only better! The flavours taste more authentic and the spices are fresher and well…spicier. The addition of some milk makes it creamy and smooth-tasting, and for once I’m actually able to taste the pumpkin. The spices in this blend work really well with the pumpkin – I can taste primarily cloves and cardamom which I like better than the cinnamon that’s often used in autumn-themed teas.

I bet this would be fantastic steeped as a traditional-style chai with steamed milk and honey.

wombatgirl

I have got to try some of their teas – everyone’s been raving about them!!

Jillian

I can share some of mine if you’d like? The Pumpkin Chai was only a small sample but I’ve got a couple packages kicking around in my cupboard. :)

Cattibrie

I realize that this is an old post but just so you know I got my samples with my order today and they are packed in little foil packets. So cute and they won’t spill.

MaddHatter

So can’t wait for this tea… September 13th can’t come fast enough… AND IT’S A PAYDAY!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Sip down since I apparently forgot to log when I had this yesterday. Having another cup today after jumping in the lake this afternoon :) while its not super sunny up here, no trip to the cottage is complete without jumping in the lake, even in winter!
Today I’m making this steeped in milk since these spices seem to call out for it. I’m not sure that I’ve ever drink this just as regular tea. We’ve got the fire going so sipping on this, I can almost pretend its a cold fall afternoon….even though its not really. I won’t restock this as I’m not overly a fan of it. This is sort of in with the Della terra version, while not a bad cup of tea, it is something I tire of rather quickly…and the stupid candies annoy me. :)

Fjellrev

I got tired of it rather quickly too, but used to love it at first. It’s those blasted pumpkin candies.

Nxtdoor

Where are you? Our cottage is near Haliburton.

Haha we’re in Dorset on the lake of bays, so near-ish. :)

Stephanie

We need to start a thread to have people vote for BEST pumpkin tea out there! I’d be curious :)

Doooo eeeet!

Terri HarpLady

I hate seeing candies, sparkles, & other crap in my tea.

Stephanie

Agreed @ sparkles and candies etc

Cavocorax

Yeah it’s not the best, but it’s sure damn convenient!

Steepster is playing tricks on me again. Oh well. Just downed a cup of this still LOVE…a very nice pumpkin offering – chai but not too chai, pumpkin but not too pumpkin…and brown sugary-sweet! LOVELY!

ScottTeaMan

Bliss…….what happened to teareviewblog.com?

ScottTeaMan

It’s loading now, it wasn’t before.

teaNsympathy

I didn’t know this existed! After reading your post, I IMMEDIATELY ordered some! I can’t wait for it to get here! Sounds like a magical combination! Thanks enlightening me!

TeaEqualsBliss

Oh!!!! I hope you like it!!!

Mmmmmm. . .
My dog is sleeping on my lap right now. She’s not small (60 lbs) and I’m typing on a laptop, most awkward note ever. But, she’s cute any gets away with everything. 1.5 years ago I joined the waiting list for Spynx breeder, the first breeding didn’t take. When I got home from work yesterday there was a msg telling me too call her right away. Apparently from her recent litter there is one kitten left, her intended purpose was a gift for her aunt. Her aunt is waivering and I’m next in line! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I’ll find out Tuesday if I get to become a sphynxmama!
Which of course means everything is exciting. I already know I love pumpkkin chai, but I especially love it today!

Helena

Pumpkin Chai is yummy :D My favourite from David’s Tea :D

BoxerMama

It was the tea that started it all for me!

TheTeaFairy

Sphinxmama, how cute! Hope you get this new addition to your family, heard they are very affectionate!

DaisyChubb

Oh my gosh! fingers crossed!

Indigobloom

yay!! fingers crossed for you and the new family addition!

Azzrian

Sending wishes for you!! :)

BoxerMama

Thanks everyone!

I think I can recognize a DT in a blind test- or blind taste.
I don’t know, there is a signature, something like a kind of special vanilla maybe…an aroma I get everytime I drink one DT.

So this one is a DT as well. I have the same complaint about the tea base, too weak for me, I don’t have the feeling to have a tea but more an infusion, once and again…bis repetita…

The dry leaves scent is a perfection, very spicy and mild cinnamon mainly + pumpkin of course.

I was expecting something stronger as it is a chai but it’s a very light chai to me.

I think I am quite happy with this tea because I normally dislike pumpkin and I found it fair. If the tea base was stronger I would probably even have really liked it.

Forgot to thanks Darby for giving me the opportunity to taste this blend ! Thanks so much Darby

Bonnie

I know what you mean. I can tell the same tea base taste in 52 tea’s and the same tea smell/taste in some other tea companies. I wish they would have someone come in with a fresh nose. STOP USING THE SAME BASE ALL THE TIME! The tea scents smell muddled then the flavors get muddled too.

Helena

hehe, I remember expecting more of a chai out of this too my first time. I just treat as a pumpkin spice tea now :D and I prefer Red Leaf Tea’s pumpkin pie matcha to it, or the pumpkin caramel cheesecake by 52 teas

Stovetop, coconut milk, Pumpkin Chai. Winning combination! This is the perfect cozy, comforting nighttime treat to celebrate a day of lovely fall weather. I love fall.

Erin Hurley

can you tell me exactly how you cook it? :D

Jessie

Sure! I simply let the tea simmer in half milk and half water (I vary this, sometimes more milk) on the stovetop like a traditional chai for as long as I can bear to leave it. This time I added the tea to only the water first and added the milk half-way through to make it stronger.

Jessie

And I rarely sweeten my teas but this begs for a little brown sugar!

Why am I drinking this? Simpson & Vail’s Gingerbread is SO MUCH BETTER.

Also, I got an ereader, tea peeps! HALP! It’s a Sony, so I can’t just click and email things (ooh, but can I click and transfer if it’s plugged in to my computer? I sure hope there’s a Firefox addon for that!), but OMG. OMG! And it’s red! :D I’m trying to decide what to read. Yay Calibre!

OMGsrsly

Squeee! I love e-readers. :P

OMGsrsly

James, I boughted it myself! It’ll save me library fines. :D

JustJames

lol. your happy makes me happy. xoxo

1 “perfect scoop” (1.5tsp)
1 16oz mug
1 cinnamon honey stick
16oz of hot water….

Oh… Oh… Starbucks, eat your heart out! THIS IS pumpkin chai! I am glad I gave this tea another chance. That first sip of a sample must have not been made well. (It happens I have had bad tea days)

I think the biggest issue is that DAVIDs Black teas have a suggested leaf measurement that is too much. 1.5tsp to a meagre 8oz cup is over kill; for me.

Will I buy a full tin of this one? sip-sip, oh yes!
Uniquity

I steep almost all of my DT teas with one perfect teaspoon per pot. Our pot is 2 cups, each 12 oz, I belive. It’s almost always strong enough and will still do a re-steep. Makes up for the cost. : )

Cattibrie

I use the recommended amount of tea but I use a lot more water than they say also. Like over double.
Glad you gave this one another try.

Today, boys & girls, we will be making a Pumpkin Chai Latte. You will need:

Hot, frothed milk. Check.
Light brown sugar. Check.
A touch of boiling water*. Uh-huh.
BIG, big mug. Checkedy check.
Ample amounts of Pumpkin Chai. Check, check, check.

Steep loose tea in 1/4 cup boiled water in the bottom of a glass measuring cup for, oh, 1-2 minutes. While waiting prepare your hot, frothy milk using whichever method you see fit (I used the microwave since I have no patience, but the stove works, and if you have a milk steamer then even better!) and stir in desired amount of brown sugar. Pour milk into steeping tea and wait… I waited about 5 minutes… then strain into mug, top with sprinkle of brown sugar, and ENJOY!

Note: I know, I know, one could just skip the whole water bit and steep the tea right into the hot milk, BUT I guarantee that by slightly steeping it beforehand you get so much more pumpkiny goodness. And one can never have enough of that!

DaisyChubb

deeeelish!

Faith

Especially as a latte… mmhmm.

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

Chai latte ALWAYS rule. A Chai must be enjoyed like that. :)

Faith

So true, the milkier the better.

Amariel

Thanks! I might have to get more of this tea to try this way. By brown sugar, do you mean the brown sugar that is used in baking, or brown sugar as in, table sugar that is raw/unrefined?

Faith

Heather: I mostly use the brown sugar for baking. The raw sugar could work, but the baking brown sugar has so much more flavour to it.

Amariel

Thanks Faith. I do have the raw sugar, but not the baking brown sugar.

Faith

I ran out of brown for awhile and subbed in plain raw sugar, you can barely tell the difference, except the brown makes it slightly more caramelly… that is all.

i’m coming to the sad realization that i need to reduce my caffeine.
it’s going to be very hard.
very very hard.

i’ll start this week by not drinking black tea or the like after 2p, and no caffeine at all after 4p.
then next week i’ll do no caffeine after 2p.

i’ll try at least. try until i succeed.
sorry i just realized how dramatic this kinda sounds. BUT IT’S TEA WE’RE TALKING ABOUT!!

see, in 2010 i lost 60lbs and in 2012 i ran 6 marathons and an ultra.
and i used to tell everybody who asked that of all the healthy changes i made in my life, quitting caffeine was by far the best thing i’d ever done for myself.
quitting caffeine relieved me of my sad moods and general prevailing anxiety. it made my pms/pmdd almost go away entirely. it made me feel more whole. and i felt like i could do anything, any time of the day. (instead of feeling like i could do anything only after a cup or two of tea and only for some times of the day.) sure quitting removed those wonderful poetic highs, but it also relieved me of the grey and irritable lows. and if you know what i am talking about, then you know that the grey lows are nothing to mess with. they get in your skin, in your mind, and in your heart.
point is, it effected me in a very positive way. in fact, it’s what brought me to tea!! i became obsessed with herbal tea and bought as many kinds as i could find. then i branched out and had a white or two. maybe a green. and before i knew it i had 100 teas stocking my cupboard. oh lovely lovely teas.

but the honeymoon’s over, and i gotta reign it in.
i say this because i know you will all be able to relate or commiserate with me in some way. i’m not even slightly suggesting that anyone else should quit no way!!! and i will try to find a balance and a way to still drink tea regularly no doubt. just not as MUCH tea is all. just not as much.

MissLena

I feel your pain with this :( I had to quit caffeine last year for quite a while for anxiety too, have been slowly introducing it but black teas still aren’t my friend :( it’s tough but what can you do I guess, thank goodness for herbals and rooibos!!

Shmiracles

yes yes indeed. thank goodness for herbals and rooibos. and that talented tea lovers with taste like to create delicious blends! :)
it means a lot to know someone else that struggles with loving delicious black teas but still needing to abstain from them somewhat.

Shmiracles

actually it just occurred to me that i could try brewing really weak cups of tea? maybe? so i could taste them but not get all ‘jacked up’? idk. just an idea.

MissLena

Ugh yes it is not fun, especially when I try teas like Laoshan Black but know I probably won’t be able to drink them regularly like other people can! Ah well, we will survive! Hehe :)
Hmm as for the brewing up weak teas, you could try it, I don’t know if it would be the same though :( if it was me, I’d prefer just having them in moderation and enjoying to the fullest extent when I do have them :P

Awkward Soul

I’ve had to cut my caffeine too as I’ve noticed I’ve been staying up way too late and my heart is pounding away. I’ve been cutting out black teas, matchas only after morning weight lifting. I’ve stopped buying mates. No greens/whites/oolongs after 4pm. Been doing this for at least a month or so.

Really sucks. Caffeine is a great weight loss aid. I do miss inhaling a cup of matcha before 630pm jiujitsu practice for maximum hyper energy, but being unable to sleep really sucked.

Just have to load up on more herbals! I blast through them fast too as I can drink as much as I want! Every time I buy tea, I try to add one caffeine free tea to my cart.

Shmiracles

yes me too Awkward Soul. i never feel guilty about adding an herbal tea to the shopping cart. even if i have no room for it in my cupboard or shouldn’t be spending the money. because having the herbals in my collection will pay off later.