Pumpkin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Lazey

From DAVIDsTEA

Let’s face it, the best thing about fall is pumpkin pie. And this spiced black tea is arguably just as delicious. It’s got all the warmth of cinnamon, pumpkin pieces, cloves and cardamom, plus the sweetness of caramel and pumpkin candy. For a true autumn treat, top it up with steamed milk and stir in a spoonful of brown sugar. It’ll make you wish it were fall all year round.

Ingredients: Black tea, cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel, squash, carrot, caramel bits, pumpkin candies.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I was actually on time this morning, so I finally got a chance to steep this up in my 16oz to-go cup!

I used 1 tablespoon of tea, added 1-1/2 tablespoons of raw sugar and a small dash of milk. While it does give me happy joys to actually have a warm cup in my hand (unlike yesterday), it’s neither the best nor the worst chai I’ve had. I like the mellowness of it, and the subtle hint of squash. There’s no mistaking the pumpkin pie spices, and they add a nice layer of interest.

Overall, I’m glad I placed the order and got to try this, but I’m not going to go crazy about it and stockpile it before the change of the next season.

Strong chai flavor with slightly artificial pumpkin undertones. Very drinkable with cream and brown sugar. Serves its purpose very well but not something I personally will want to keep around all the time!

Thanks for the sample Teamore I was really glad to try this one :)

So my Saturday plans for the day were all cancelled, and I was ambitious. I tried doing this one on the stovetop. Little did I know how much of a horror it would be to clean up after letting the pot boil over. Oops.

The tea itself surprised me. I’ve always really liked how this one brewed tastes different to me than what I’d expect from the dry leaf. I get more of the spices and less of the stronger notes. I expected some difference in a stovetop brew but it tasted exactly like it smells dry. Exactly. Still not sure how I feel about that, but for my first stovetop chai attempt it was fairly successful. Cleanup on the other hand . . .

A David’s Tea just opened in my town!! YAY! Unfortunately I am on a strict no-tea-buying diet until I have room in my tea chest for more goodies. So going into a brand new tea shop who’s offerings I’d been very fond of when I was sent them by friends in cities already blessed with a David’s Teas was well, masochistic to say the least. Possibly damaging to my psychological well-being, I think I strained something in exercising my restraint and not buying any loose leaf. So while I simply marveled at all the offerings, I left only with one cup of brewed tea, specifically this Pumpkin Chai.

I love pumpkin (my favorite kind of pie!), and a chai is just the best tea for this time of year in my opinion. As this is one of their limited time only seasonal teas I just had to try it while I could (it narrowly beat out another seasonal selection, the Lemon Cream Pie which also smelled intoxicating). I’m not exactly sure of either the amount of leaf, or the water temperature this was brewed in since the lady behind the counter made it, but I definitely think the water was cooler then boiling. Unlike many other places I get tea I didn’t have to wait half an hour for the drink to cool enough to avoid tongue-scalding, making me think the water was much cooler initially.

In the big tin the tea smelled lovely, a warm black tea note mixed with a subtle combination of chai spices (compared to some of their chais that have peppercorns in them this one was positively mild). There was a hint of the creamy, sweet, slightly…vegetable-y? note of pumpkin as well which seemed to give it a nice depth.

The lady gave me the cup with the tea in one of those little tea pouches and suggested waiting 2-4 minutes to let it steep. No suggestion of sweetening it unlike the package directions so I didn’t, though I think a hint of honey or brown sugar would have really brought out some of the flavours. I went on a walk, and sort of forgot about the pouch of tea, and so it probably steeped 10+ minutes. No bitterness resulted, even when the amount of water the tea was in steadily decreased. The flavour of the liquid tea wasn’t as strong as I had hoped, the black tea was rather milder then most I’ve had before (as evidenced by the fact I was happy to drink it without milk or sugar, generally an absolute necessity when I drink blacks like English breakfast). There was a hint of chai spices, mostly cinnamon that I noted, but again, not terribly strong, more something you noticed when you swallowed. The pumpkin well…I can’t really say I got a real pumpkin note from this. It’s a pretty subtle flavour most of the time so I wasn’t too surprised, and there was definitely another part of the tea that wasn’t “black tea” or “chai spices” but without the title I don’t know if I’d have identified it as pumpkin. More of just a bit of creamy richness to the tea rather then an actual pumpkin taste maybe. I enjoyed this tea, it was nice having a black that I didn’t feel needed any additives, and it was pleasant just to sip on a brisk fall evening.

One other note, I was rather disappointed in the layout of the David’sTea store. The had all their teas in big tins on a shelf behind the counter, necessitating that a sales person bring the tin to you. Now I’m a person who likes shopping on my own, I’ll ask questions if I have them, but otherwise I’m not big on conversing with sales people etc (prefer to slowly come to my own decisions without the pressure of someone standing there waiting) and this layout basically forces you to stand at the counter and chat. The sales people were very nice, friendly and helpful, but I also found them a bit pushy, bringing me all sorts of teas I hadn’t asked for and sticking them under my nose. While many of the David’sTeas teas sounded/looked/smelled amazing and so I’ll be back, I much prefer the layout of tea stores in my town like Teaopia/The Tea Store/Cha Cha Tea who have their teas along the walls and let people sniff and comparison shop undisturbed and on their own. Just my two cents, just in case a David’sTea representative comes across this note :)

8 min or more
Meghann M

Awesome that you have a Davids tea store near you! I’m very jealous of that. Teavana is set up like that, with the teas behind the counter with the sales people. I don’t enjoy having to chat and be sold to by the sales people either. I get too flustered with all of the sales tactics and usually by nothing or too much.

Feisty

I’ll admit I’m pretty stoked, although my bank account trembles with fear! I’m glad there are other “shopping hermits” who prefer and undisturbed tea hunting experience. I find I usually buy less with the over-the-counter set up, just because I don’t want to feel like I’ve been pressured into something (even if I would have purchased it on my own eventually).

Amariel

My Teaopia has them behind the counter just like DAVIDs, though I don’t mind this, as the SAs are all generally well versed in the teas, so I can usually figure out something to get, based on a mood I have coming into the store. So I enjoy the conversation, personally. I feel like someone is trying to find me what I am looking for, and sometimes, I am brought something I wouldn’t have normally given a glance at, and they have become favourites. I’d have skipped them had it not been for the layout. But, to each his/her own. Some people like SAs come right to them when they enter a store, and others like to browse peacefully until they need help.

Angrboda

When selling by weight I much prefer it when only the shop employees have access to the tins. That limits the number of people who can go around lifting the lids again and again and poking at the contents. How many complete strangers have had their paws inside this tin? Have they touched the leaves? Were their fingers clean? For the local tea shop where I lived before, I would usually go on their website at home and then take a list with me to the shop of the things that seemed interested in, but then the couple who owned it, and the woman who owned it before them, were all good at listening to what I was searching for and suggesting something without pressuring.
If it was sold pre-weighed out, I’d prefer to be able to help myself and then bring my stuff to the counter.

I had Pumpkin Chai today. It is absolutely one of my favorite tea’s from David’s Tea but because it’s seasonal I tend to be stingy with it and save it for only special occasions. This tea is spicy, flavourful and stands up to a good long steeping. Great with milk, or a dollop of whipped cream (When I make whipped cream, I don’t add sugar, just vanilla).

I don’t sweeten this tea, I don’t find that it needs it at all, but if you wanted it to taste even more like pumpkin pie than it already does, perhaps sugar might suit you.

Out of the fall tea collection, without a doubt this is the one I will miss the most even though it’s winter counterpart, Chili Chocolate Chai, is equally as delicious.

Goodbye, Comrade.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more
mirthmatter

I have four of the small gift tins of this tea, and I hoard them like Gollum. One was a gift, and the other three I talked a salesperson into getting from the back because they were dented/scratched, so I got them half price.

They need to bring this back as a regular.

I wish I liked this tea, but this is just ok. I’m not getting very much pumpkin-pie from it. I’m getting some of the spice, but….just average tasting to me.

Thanks jessiwrites for this one!

This is pretty tasty. I’m definitely getting more black tea than pumpkin or spices. The pumpkin-y spices are there, just not as prominent as the black tea. Given a choice I’d take Pumpkin Creme Brulee or Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie.

I often have trouble with Chai teas. I can never seem to find one that I like. The same thing happens with pumpkin spice teas. HOWEVER, I LOVE this tea! As someone said in a earlier note this TRULY tastes like PUMPKIN. The spices are balanced and it has a very nice flavor. I drank it without any sugar/milk and I thought it tasted like a great pumpkin tea. When I added in a little bit of rock sugar / milk the chai flavors really became apparent. Since I am not a HUGE chai fan I will go back to drinking it straight. THIS IS A REAL winner for me.

P.S. I got this from the tea review blog monthly swap. If you are interested you can look check it out at http://www.teareviewblog.com/?page_id=1706 or on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/teaswap/.http://www.teareviewblog.com/

Nik

I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to chai, I’ve found, but I’ve yet to drink a pumpkin blend that doesn’t just taste like pumpkin pie spices. Definitely have to try this.

CHAroma

@Nik, I know what you mean. But this one definitely doesn’t have that overly spicy flavor. It’s just fantastic!

One of the free samples from my David’s tea order.

After the disappointment of the Salted Caramel tea, I was relieved to open up the package and smell this one. It reminded me of pumpkin pie, which really was because of the strong cinnamon and pumpkin notes. It almost seemed to have a hint of graham crackers in it, which made me think of pie crust I think.

So anyway – wonderful smell. I used the whole sample in my new perfect tea mug and steeped it in around 10 oz. of water at the below parameters. Added only a splash of milk because the initial taste seemed a little thin.

That ‘thin’ texture seems to be my main problem with David’s so far. The tea tastes fine – it just seems so watered down. This chai was definitely on as far as the pumpkin and cinnamon was concerned, but I got no other real ‘chai’ spice, and the milk really had to help to get that creamier, chewy texture.

This was another one that was just okay. I have the Chocolate Chili chai sample to try next so hopefully that one will wow me!

Went into the store today and found they two more 25g bags laying around and were 2 for $5! Was so happy about that, considering last time I went they were sold out. I don’t even care that it’s pumpkin, I’ll drink this stuff all year round.

VariaTEA

WHAT?!?!?? 2/$5 is amazing!!

noyadefleur

I know right! Especially considering it’s normally $7.50 for 50g. My store usually has random little 25g bags on for 2 for $5. Plus I get a 10% discount for working in the mall, so it ended up being around $4.50 for the 50g. :) If they had more I would have gotten them.

VariaTEA

That is amazing!! Ceylon Star was on sale for the 2/$5 price and I had to resist the urge to buy it seeing as I have 25 g coming and I don’t think it is the most amazing tea in the world that I would want that much of it

noyadefleur

Oh yeah? I have 25g of it too, I got some in the Spooky Collection, it was alright. But yeah, 2 for $5 is a hard deal to pass up. :p