Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Sweet, Vegetal, Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Roasted, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 488 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2014 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum!

Nightshifter

Same here, but you are inspiring me to go back to some DT favorites this weekend. :)

Indigobloom

lol yay!!

As the tea cools, I’m getting more of a full green tea taste on the sip; very seaweed-like. Very smooth, light and delightful!

On the second infusion the flavour reminds me strongly of popcorn.

This tea does well for at least three infusions.

This tea feels like a good everyday tea for me.

In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn’t come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a dentist. Antibiotics helped, not anymore.
So, I woke up at 6am in excruciating pain and decided to clean my house before I start this busy day. House is still quiet if you ignore the dishwasher and snoring dogs that followed me downstairs.
I thought this is the perfect opportunity to enjoy some Genmaicha. I was certain I messed up my last attempt and I was right! This cup is toasty, not overly rice-y. Unfortunately I hear movement upstairs which means it’s time for me start breakfast. Someday, Genmaicha, someday.

softrevolution

I hope you can get in to see a dentist soon, that sounds like ouch! Feel better :)

Ninavampi

I hate tooth aches… It is horrible that they make you wait so long!

BoxerMama

It’s true tooth aches are the worst. I’m going to call the dentist today and beg to get in sooner.

Will Work For Tea

I had tooth problems for a couple months after a crown was put on a few years ago – turned out I needed a root canal. Totally feel your pain – hang in there!

2014 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (130)

Thank you Roswell Stange! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a straight genmaicha, this is certainly not a bad option to have. The base is present and just a touch vegetal but mostly this is toasty rice. Yum!

Sipdown (196/198)!

Ok, there was about two cups worth of this but I accidentally dumped a bunch of this onto the floor – so a bit of an unexpected sipdown I suppose. I don’t feel too bad about it though I guess, I have a lot of Genmaicha and this just brings me a little closer to finally feeling like I can open up my Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha.

This is good though; but it’s got lots of little green tea “bits” from the bottom of the bag, which of course escaped the filter. So it is getting bitter a little quickly…

Mini sipdown, courtesy of Heather!

I’ve yet to come across a genmaicha I dislike. This cup is a little greener than average but that’s because there’s more leaves in this serving. I burnt it a bit too. A little more roasted and less buttery than my usual genmaicha but still decent! Edit: I take it back, this has a respectful amount of butter rice. There’s also some sweetness.

Genmaicha is one of those teas that I prefer later in the evening or when I wake up earlier than I needed to and can still fall back to sleep (but probably won’t). It has a distinct place in my personal tea hierarchy.

Fjellrev

Seriously, I’ve yet to come across a genmaicha I don’t like.

CrowKettle

Maybe this speaks more of my own tasting abilities but I find that even “dust bags” of genmaicha are still ok.

So here is an interesting one…. I got this few months ago, drank it once and was so dissatisfied with it, I put it at the back of my cupboard and forgot about it. The reason? Too much roasted rice, not enough tea, just not my taste I guess. I remember wanting to try it with addition of more green tea but like I said… I forgot about it.

Lo and behold I remembered about it out last night. I steeped about half a teaspoon of it with regular serving of Dragonwell in 8 ounces of water…. and I liked it. I liked it so much that tonight I decided to double the amount. I guess I like the toasted rice filler after all but for me there has to be more tea and less rice.

Stephanie

There are definitely better genmaichas out there :) try Den’s extra green (with added matcha!) sometime! So good…

Kamyria

Thank you, I totally will. I will finish what I have of this one because I do enjoy it with a little extra green tea, but after than I will definitely have to branch out and try other genmaichas out there. :)

Stephanie

If you’ve never shopped at Den’s tea, they do a $5 introduction to Japanese greens sampler, and it comes with a $5 off your next purchase coupon, so it’s basically free!

Kamyria

Oh, that’s awesome! Thank you :)

I can’t sleep (again!)

I’ve got Mr. Right on one side, sleeping deeply… The cat all snuggled next to me on the other side… and the dog, well he wants his share of the pie and he’s trying to squeeze in the middle…I do have a large bed, but did I mention the dog is a Doberman?

So me and my iPad are on Steepster…

This tea:

Don’t know why, but how often I have this Genmaicha does not equal how much I love it…every time I drink it, I tell myself the same thing, and yet, I can be several weeks without it…

I had it tonight, and it was gooood!  The thing is, for those who aren’t big fans of green tea, you would probably enjoy this one.  It has none of the vegetal grassy feel usualy associated with greens, but it still has that clean refreshing taste, with a toasted rice twist.

Perfect tea for meals, great with fish of course…

I had 4 very tasty steeps out of 1 1/2 teaspoon.

Almost 2am, time to fall in Morphée’s arms…

(Update : The Dobe is now snoring! It is so wrong, dogs should not be capable of that!)

Indigobloom

aww that does make a sweet picture though!

Bonnie

You could create a scene for a movie from this discription. Good job!

TheTeaFairy

Oh! didn’t know I had comments on this post, could not have acces to my notices last week…seems to happen once in a while…
Althouh it does make a sweet picture and does look like a movie scene, I’m afraid it’s all too real! I’ve got numb arms and legs to remind me in the morning! But I love my bunch and wouldn’t change a thing, except getting a few more hours of sleep at night! But hey, they can’t be blame for my insomnia!

Puffed rice. I kind of like the smell in a bizarre sort of way.

I can’t stop drinking it, yet I’m not really sure what it is I like about drinking it.

Update: Also great resteeped! This one gets the upgrade. But I still couldn’t tell you exactly why. Now back to PLL!

Update #2: 4th resteep, still going strong.

Well 5 steeps, that was my entire tea story for this evening. Impressive. Time to turn in.

Yay, I got my David’s Tea shipment!

Just awhile ago I wrote about my errors with The Path of Tea genmaicha, which was lovely brewed in my French Press at home with an appropriate amount of tea and a carefully timed steep. When I used my Tea for Life set, the curved blue cup with the metal infuser, I blew it.

So, mindful of that, with David’s Tea I used the Tea for Life set again, but measured only a gently rounded tablespoon and steeped for about 2 1/2 minutes.

The dry tea looks like it’s about half tea (fairly regular, needle-shaped leaves about 3/4 inch long) and half toasted rice, with a fair amount of popped rice kernels. It looks pretty much like the photo. Could not really detect a toasty smell in the dry form.

Steeped, I have the lovely toasty aroma rising from the cup, not with the buttery note I found in The Path of Tea version, but pleasant.

First sip: seem a bit weak. I think it needs a bit more in the filter when made this way. I’ll try increasing the amount of leaf slightly next time and steep it for the same amount of time. I may try a re-steep, adding another teaspoon of fresh dry leaf. And I’ll try it in the French press tonight or tomorrow.

Going to withhold a numerical rating for now, but so far it’s quite nice and I’m looking forward to more tweaking.

Update: I just tried Daniel Scott’s discovery of this technique and I’m getting much stronger toast notes this way even though the tea has cooled down quite a bit:

1. First, exhale completely.
2. Take a sip of tea.
3. Hold the tea in your mouth across your entire tongue and inhale deeply through your nose.
4. Swallow.
****************

Update 2: Re-steeped as planned, with addition of another tsp or so. Pleasant but still not there. Next time will try with more leaf to start with.