Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Sweet, Vegetal, Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Roasted, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1311 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 466 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1938 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea, for me, was ok. I really enjoyed the aroma and taste of the toasted rice, but I got this after taste that I did not like, something along the lines of seaweed, algae, marine water….I had to play around with the amount of tea leaves vs water, and I found that less leaves and more water seemed to suit my palate.

Delicious! Tastes exactly like the green teas served in my favourite sushi restaurants. I can’t wait to drink this with some Asian food! Just the drink I’ve been wanting!

This is a fantastic tea for every day, and it’s a tea you miss once it’s gone (trust me!). I purchased the DavidsTea green sampler (the three teas), and this one was my favourite. Very mild tea that is both sweet and toasty. A word of caution – like other Japanese teas, it is not “hardy” enough to withstand boiling water. I brew this at a true lukewarm so the aromas and the flavours can come out and the tea is not bitter. Ended up buying a tin since this “popcorn” tea is so good as an every day tea.

I have always wanted to like green tea but the most I’ve managed is tolerating it. Not anymore.

Genmaicha tastes exactly as it smells, toasty, rice-y, sliiiiiiightly green but definitely delicious. I’m convinced any green tea hater would like this.

I absolutely love this tea. I love the way it smells and I love the way it tastes. One of my favorite green teas (cheap too!). However, I’d prefer a little less toasted rice.

I was at work the other day, and I was really craving a savory green tea. I was debating between Korean Sejak and Genmaicha. My co-worker said that Genmaicha was her favorite, so I gave it a try!
OH MY WORD. This is the best straight green tea that I have ever tasted. The roasted rice gives this the perfect savory note, while the tea itself compliments the rice with a sweeter note as well.
It is a definite must-try for green tea lovers out there! I bought 68 grams of this after my first sip…it is very promising!

Genmaicha is a tea I love to try and describe, and yet always fail at, especially when one is really good. Sadly this one from David’s is simply average, with little to make it stand out. If anything I found it slightly weak. I tried it at 1.5 minutes and it was nearly tasteless so I doubled the steep time and was still disappointed. I think I was spoiled by another and now can’t fall in love with any that are sub-par. :(

There’s something about this tea that puts me into a different frame of mind. Whether it’s from David’s Tea or at a Japanese restaurant, the flavour of toasted rice with green tea is one that puts me at peace. A truly divine tea.

I DO NOT like any non-flavoured green tea. But? This one is actually very delicious. Usually the only way I’ll drink unflavoured green tea is if my husband makes a pot without asking what kind I want. But I’ll actually pick this one! It tastes like popcorn! It’s got a nice almost nutty flavour to it.

I always forget how much I enjoy sipping on this tea. It has a light vegetal taste with a hint of sweetness that comes from the popped rice pieces. I have also enjoyed this tea as an iced tea and it is quite tasty in a rice cracker sort of way!

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal