Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Sweet, Vegetal, Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Roasted, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1314 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 477 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1962 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was one of my favourite teas when i first began with Japanese greens. The roasted rice flavour was excessively addictive and I believe i drank atleast 3 teapots worth a day. Perhaps, that is why the taste does not appeal to me as much as it once did. It now has a strange aftertaste which I cannot put my finger on. I will be giving this tea a break for a while to see if it was just this particular batch from DavidsTea or if it’s just DT’s genmaicha itself. I would still recommend because, if I have grown out of it (which, I think, is really the case) that doesn’t necessarily mean the tea is bad.

Flavors: Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice

160 °F / 71 °C 0 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

This was my first introduction to Genmaicha – I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. The background story was unique as well. Definitely a go to in my tea drawer.

Flavors: Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty

Mmmm soo roasty! ^^ So much better than the last genmaicha I tried that mainly tasted like green tea. This one is actually roasty.

Flavors: Roasted

Cameron B.

I love the super roasty genmaichas. Maybe I should just buy a bag of the genmai and drink that… :P I ordered the Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha from Verdant so I’ll let you know how that is soon. :)

Ost

Heyy I did too! You’ll probably get your order before me though. xD But hey, looking forward to seeing if we agree on that one haha :P

Cameron B.

We shall see… We don’t seem to agree on a whole lot, but maybe genmaicha!

Ost

Haha yeah. That might be our one meeting point. xD But hey, better than none,right? :P

Before bed tea. So comforting, mmmmmm! It doesn’t always have to be paired with sushi, although it is delicious that way. This is one of those teas I could drink as often as water. :)

This tea is unlike anything I’ve tried before..it tastes just like popcorn!

Flavors: Grass

165 °F / 73 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Tasting note 101! I totally didn’t realize that I cracked 100 yesterday! :)

Another tea I picked up in my “sample” buying spree the other week. I’ve never had Genmaicha (from anywhere) before but the description sounded very interesting, especially since I really like the flavor of roasted and/or popped rice.

I was really quite surprised at the amount of roasted rice in my package; it looked almost to be half and half with the green tea which was great to see, but there were only a few popped kernels so it wasn’t quite as visually stunning as the images on DT’s site suggest. The smell though… I had to go back to it a few times… at first all I was getting was the roasted rice. Then after the second or third sniff I started to get some notes from the green tea, bright vegetal notes with a few floral hints mixed in.

The steeped liquor came out a light yellow-green and the aroma was filled with deep notes from the roasted rice. There were some sweet tones from the green tea as well which had a bit of a fruity scent now, though I still found that there also was the more “traditional” vegetal scent as an undertone. As for the flavor…. It carries over from the aroma quite nicely. I find it filled with dark puffed/roasted rice notes with slight vegetal hints from the green tea and every once and a while I get a few floral notes on the finish. It’s not astringent either which is good since I accidentally over steeped this a bit.

I have to admit though, I keep looking for a molasses/malty flavor to go with the puffed rice notes and I haven’t even had puffed rice squares in years! It’s a good, solid tea; but definitely one that I’d have to be in the mood for.

(PS I had a hard time finding this tea to log… When I searched for “Genmaicha David’s Tea” it took me to a (basically) empty page with no notes or ratings on it which I found odd so I went hunting further and eventually found this page. Weird)

Sample sipdown #2 for today! I got this as a free sample with my most recent online David’s order.

I was feeling lazy, so I dumped the entire sample (5g) into a pot – and it turns out that I didn’t boil enough water to fill the pot, so chances are I overleafed this by quite a bit.

When dry, the leaf smelled lovely – salty and marine-like, like seaweed and popcorn. It smelled even more strongly like this as it was brewing. However, after I pulled the infuser out, the leaves in the infuser smelled…burnt, somehow.

This burnt taste was also present in the brewed tea itself. This is only the second or third genmaicha I’ve had (the other one being Sloane’s Grand Genmaicha) and so I don’t have enough context here. But I was expecting something a bit sweeter, or saltier, or more malty/roasty. Also, I think I brewed this with dead water that had been sitting in the kettle for too long, so it also tastes like minerals.

Ah well. At least I got a sipdown in. Perhaps others will appreciate this tea more than I.

EDIT: After it cooled down, I reheated it and gave it a few more sips. Yup, the water was definitely stale. The rest went down the drain.

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 30 sec 5 g 20 OZ / 591 ML

Absolutely disgusting. This is probably the worst tea I have ever bought from DavidsTea- the scent and flavor is gross.

My fave green tea so far… It didn’t give me stomach trouble after drinking unlike the Japanese sencha and dragonwell, which makes my stomach feel upset. Is it because of my poor digestion or what? I love drinking green tea but not all types are for me. I will continue exploring and sipping… Happy drinking, tea-lovers!

1 tsp 199 OZ / 5885 ML

This tea is wonderful. It’s got a wonderful balance between the toasted rice and the leaves. It took me a cup to get used to it, but afterwards I was definitely hooked. It’s just the perfect light to tea have when you want to relax! And it can definitely be steeped a couple of times, which makes it feel like it’s a different cup of tea each time.