Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Green, Nutty, Popcorn, Rice, Roasted, Salt, Salty, Toasty, Toasted Rice, Vegetal, Sweet, Grass, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

If I could only drink one tea for the rest of my life, this would be it! Love the toasty scent and flavour :)

Flavors: Toasty

Received in my Advent Calendar. Nice, clean toasty rice taste. Very comforting.

Flavors: Green, Toasted Rice

When Ost and I first swapped teas, she offered to share some Genmaichas, as I am what could be called a novice to this particular tea.
Today is the day I was brave enough to try one!
It smells a bit like popcorn, and I’m finally getting the whole scope of the word “toasty”. Is that actual popcorn in it?This smells toasty.
Its actually much sweeter than I expected from the smell, a bit more like caramel corn or sweet popcorn, instead of a full on toasted popcorn.
I’m enjoying it! Onward, to more Genmaichas!
Thanks to Ost

Indigobloom

popped rice! so good

Ost

Yah! Happy you liked it! Did i send you Verdant’s kind? That’s my favorite. If i haven’t then next time we swap I will send you some!!

This is a very rice-heavy genmaicha, and I had trouble scooping out a spoonful that had enough leaves in it for me to justify calling it tea!

But you know, it’s good. There might not be much new and exciting about it, but it’s comforting. The sencha has that nori-seaweed quality to it, so the overall effect is like one of those seaweed-covered rice snacks. A nice relaxing afternoon cup. Thanks again to beelicious!

Day 9/24 Advent Calendar
(Catching up on my reviews from earlier this week)
I love Genmaicha. Looooove.

Dry – Love the little bits of popped rice and roasted rice. The smell doesn’t have that sesame roasted scent, just green tea.

Steeped – Lovely green brown color. The sesame oil from the roasted rice comes through.

Taste – Toasty and roasty but a bit weak. I will have to try it with a bit more tea next time.

Since Genmaicha is one of my favorites, I went ahead and ordered some from DT.

Couldn’t drink day 8/24 coco mint creme has coconut and I’m allergic.

Flavors: Green, Rice, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Vegetal

Genmaicha is my favourite green tea, no questions asked. I love how savoury and comforting it is—like a light meal in a cup!—and how the natural sweetness of the green tea is highlighted by the toastiness of the rice. Plus, since I’m not really a fan of overly vegetal teas, it’s perfect for me.

I’ve never tried Davids’ version until now, and I have to say, I love it. It’s fragrant, the leaves are full, the ratio of rice to leaf is good, there’s hardly any tea dust, and it brews up without any bitterness. I may have a, uh, pound or two(????) of genmaicha already in my cupboard, but I’m thinking when I plow through that stash, the Davids blend will have a spot on my shelf. Yum.

Ost

I’ve found that a lot of genmaichas taste more grassy like green tea, but Davids’ has the more popcorn-y version! I really like it!

sweetea

Yes! I’m actually so happy with this blend!

Day 9 of the advent calendar. I’ve never had a tea with this flavour before. I rather enjoyed the predominant toasted popped rice flavour. That’s really the star of this tea with the flavour of the green tea itself bringing up the rear. This tea was comforting, like a warm blanket on a cold day. Being a fan of most green teas, I’ll happily add this to my rotation.

Flavors: Green, Roasted, Toasted Rice

I always forget how much I enjoy sipping on this tea. It has a light vegetal taste with a hint of sweetness that comes from the popped rice pieces. I have also enjoyed this tea as an iced tea and it is quite tasty in a rice cracker sort of way!

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal

This was one of my favourite teas when i first began with Japanese greens. The roasted rice flavour was excessively addictive and I believe i drank atleast 3 teapots worth a day. Perhaps, that is why the taste does not appeal to me as much as it once did. It now has a strange aftertaste which I cannot put my finger on. I will be giving this tea a break for a while to see if it was just this particular batch from DavidsTea or if it’s just DT’s genmaicha itself. I would still recommend because, if I have grown out of it (which, I think, is really the case) that doesn’t necessarily mean the tea is bad.

Flavors: Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice

160 °F / 71 °C 0 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

This was my first introduction to Genmaicha – I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. The background story was unique as well. Definitely a go to in my tea drawer.

Flavors: Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty