Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Green, Rice, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Vegetal, Sweet, Grass, Toasty, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1341 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 504 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2061 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Absolutely disgusting. This is probably the worst tea I have ever bought from DavidsTea- the scent and flavor is gross.

My fave green tea so far… It didn’t give me stomach trouble after drinking unlike the Japanese sencha and dragonwell, which makes my stomach feel upset. Is it because of my poor digestion or what? I love drinking green tea but not all types are for me. I will continue exploring and sipping… Happy drinking, tea-lovers!

1 tsp 199 OZ / 5885 ML

This tea is wonderful. It’s got a wonderful balance between the toasted rice and the leaves. It took me a cup to get used to it, but afterwards I was definitely hooked. It’s just the perfect light to tea have when you want to relax! And it can definitely be steeped a couple of times, which makes it feel like it’s a different cup of tea each time.

Day #6 of the advent calendar. This one was a brand new taste experience for me, I’m pleased to say. I’m not really a fan of plain green teas, but I appreciated the flavour I got from this one. Very few leaves needed for a very bold, earthy taste. This isn’t a flavour I’d normally go for, and I’m not sure if it’s one I’ll go for again after my tin has finished, but I’m glad I got to try it.

Everyone around me has been getting sick, but I feel like this has been keeping my immune system in check. Or maybe it’s all mental, either way I haven’t had much luck steeping this tea more than once. It tastes more watered down at a second steep. I’m almost out of this tea, but I think I’ll try another brand because Davids is lacking for me.

Weirdly enough this is the tea that got me a job at DAVIDs TEA. A few years ago I did not drink tea at all, and me and the girl I was seeing used to go out for sushi back in Halifax, and every time she went she would order a pot of brown rice tea despite me protesting say how I would not drink any and that she could not finish the pot by herself. Anyhow everytime she would force a cup upon me, then it grew to me having two or three cups to us needing two pots of tea when ever we went! Anyhow it was not much long after where she bought me some Genmaicha from DAVIDs TEA as a gift. Fast froward to last year I was walking around the Avalon mall in St. John’s and was handing out resumes to various companies, and it really never occured to me to apply at DAVIDs, but it did occur to me that I was out of Genmaicha, so I went in and asked for some, and as an afterthought asked if they where hiring and am still working there over a year later!

Wow, what a flavor! I am head over heels about the nutty and roasted notes that this tea provides. At first, some may overlook this simple green tea, however, with each cup it is sure to satisfy. Try this tea first thing in the morning; the savory notes pair wonderfully with breakfast! (Or any meal of choice!)

Genmaicha is another one of those teas that you have to brew properly to get the full experience of its wonderful-ness. It needs a lot of patience and TLC.

They key here is really to read the brewing instructions. It says to steep in 87C water. So that’s not the temperature of the water that comes out of your kettle. Let the water cool for 4 or 5 minutes, then steep the tea for another 4-5 minutes only. If you don’t do this, the tea will become astringent and gross (I know this from personal experience).

The brown rice gives it a nice toasted flavor that goes great with the green tea :) It is really popular in Japan and you can find it pretty much any sushi restaurant. I’d really recommend it!

Just sipping this now. I try to love green tea, but I find I only enjoy a select few…Genmaicha being one of them (along with movie night!) This is my go to plain jane green. I really enjoy the toasted flavor, it isn’t over powering. Just perfect for my green tea taste. Already have a tin and will certainly be refilling this one!

What I expected: the sweet nutty taste that was described. What I got – a light, toasted rice-y flavour, not sweet, not bitter. I wasn’t sure about it at first, then I brewed it with cooler water (still warmer than room temp) a second time and it was great. The taste between the first and second infusion is definitely different imo, the second one being much lighter and less of a toasted rice-y after taste. I think it is something that will grow on me.