Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Sweet, Vegetal, Grass, Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Roasted, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 488 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2012 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

i love this! the aroma of the brown rice and the flavour of the green tea work really well together in this Genmaicha blend. really very simple and very delicious.

I bought this because I heard it tastes like the tea they serve in sushi restaurants which I like. And it did taste like it. But I also found that while I like drinking this when I’m eating sushi, I wasn’t reaching for it any other time. I gave this to a friend who quite enjoys it.

DELICIOUS!! You want tea that tastes like the stuff you get from the sushi shops? This is it….only BETTER!

This is one of my all time favourite teas, and not just from David’s. I love going to Japanese restaurants, and they always serve this variety of green tea before each meal. I make a cup of David’s genmaicha when I need a positive pick-me-up after a stressful day.

One of the best out there.

This is my comfort tea and go-to tea. You know those days where you don’t want a flowery tea, a sweet tea, or a dessert-like tea? This is the one. I love the toasted rice and the popcorn, the nutty flavour is quite nice and comforting. It’s very light tasting, and goes down well. I like to drink this while I’m eating! Especially sushi, haha. All in all, a great basic tea. Sometimes simple is best.

My favourite go-to green tea. It’s great when I’m feeling full and/or bloated from a meal – like a neutralizer of sorts

Wow! This was my first time trying genmaicha, what an interesting tea! It tastes so earthy and nutty. I can definitely see this as a mealtime tea.

I picked a sample of this up (and two others) at DAVIDsTEA when I was refilling my Glitter & Gold tin last weekend. I’m not a fan of green tea, but I figured trying just one cup of this wouldn’t hurt. It actually turned out to be quite good. I find it has a really toasty and healthy taste. It tastes just as it smells, which is nice. It really reminds me of these whole-grain crackers I tried once.

I can actually say I don’t mind this green tea at all, it has no bitter aftertaste like pretty much all green teas I’ve tried have had, so I could probably drink this again. :) I let my hot tea cool down to taste it cold, and find both are quite nice. Glad I ended up picking up this sample in the end!