Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Green, Rice, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Vegetal, Sweet, Grass, Toasty, Butter
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I always forget how enjoyable this one is. So much yum! Of course, I rarely indulge. I tend to bypass the DT options in my cupboard, not for any apparent reason, it just happens :/” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1341 tasting notes
  • “Bland on the sip, reminiscent of metallic taste. Light roasted green taste at the end of the sip with something hinting at a floral flavour. After taste is very roasty with green tea taste. As...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 506 tasting notes
  • “In july I cracked a tooth and it was incredibly painful. Due to the health professional shortage in my wonderful province, it still hasn't come out of my mouth and I have 3 weeks to wait to see a...” Read full tasting note
    BoxerMama 171 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (130) Thank you *Roswell Stange*! I am always happy to try a genmaicha and this one is not bad. I am not running to stock up on it but it is easily accessible and if I am dying for a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2069 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Watch out, it’s addictive

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour.

Ingredients: Japanese-style green tea, roasted rice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Wow!

I am absolutely surprised by the elegance and flavour of this tea. It wasn’t what I expected, and I don’t know if I can even describe this tea. It’s interesting to say the least, tastes wonderful and simply makes you feel ready for the day.

I recommend this as a morning tea but it certainly can be drank at any time.

Quite simply put, I highly recommend this tea to everyone.

Not a huge fan of this one. :( I got talked into this one at Davids when I asked about green tea. Has a really weird popcorn taste. I know genmaicha is supposed to taste like rice or popcorn but this just tastes really off to me. Not burnt.. or stale. The best way I could describe it is that it tastes like the un-popped kernels at the bottom of a bag of popcorn. The taste isnt even what turned me off though, the smell hot makes me gag. I will probably mix it with something else to get rid of it. Glad I only bought 30g.

Mmmm, Genmaicha!! This tea reminds me of my fave sushi house in Northern BC. It is very good with any meals with fish. I wish it had a little more actual tea and less rice but that is just personal preference. Also its pretty good on the 2nd and 3rd re-steep. I was skeptical because the rice kinda goes soggy like Rice Krispies left in milk too long…..But I was wrong. I can sip this tea all day. Worth a try if you are at a Davids Tea.

i love this! the aroma of the brown rice and the flavour of the green tea work really well together in this Genmaicha blend. really very simple and very delicious.

I bought this because I heard it tastes like the tea they serve in sushi restaurants which I like. And it did taste like it. But I also found that while I like drinking this when I’m eating sushi, I wasn’t reaching for it any other time. I gave this to a friend who quite enjoys it.

DELICIOUS!! You want tea that tastes like the stuff you get from the sushi shops? This is it….only BETTER!

This is one of my all time favourite teas, and not just from David’s. I love going to Japanese restaurants, and they always serve this variety of green tea before each meal. I make a cup of David’s genmaicha when I need a positive pick-me-up after a stressful day.

One of the best out there.

This is my comfort tea and go-to tea. You know those days where you don’t want a flowery tea, a sweet tea, or a dessert-like tea? This is the one. I love the toasted rice and the popcorn, the nutty flavour is quite nice and comforting. It’s very light tasting, and goes down well. I like to drink this while I’m eating! Especially sushi, haha. All in all, a great basic tea. Sometimes simple is best.

My favourite go-to green tea. It’s great when I’m feeling full and/or bloated from a meal – like a neutralizer of sorts