Cafe Mocha

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 16 oz / 473 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

Strong, dark and rich

We know – you miss coffee. You love tea, but sometimes you still crave that dark and tempting espresso flavour. Recovering addicts, this one’s for you. We’ve created the perfect blend of black tea and coffee, and laced it with chicory, almonds and chocolate to make it even more alluring. Why pick just one when you can have the richness of coffee and the healthy deliciousness of organic tea? We won’t tell a soul.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

1 heaping TB for 500mL water, no milk or sweetener.

Rough time waking up this morning. My yerba mate tisance disappointed, and the caffeine monkey on my back started to jabber. So, a little pot of English Breakfast standing by, but first: this strange hybrid elixir.

If you’re in the mood for straight black tea, don’t drink this.

If you need a good smack upside the head and feel bold, drink this.

This morning’s brew is chewy, sweet, smooth, dark and mysterious, and just a tiny bit chicory-bitter on the aftertaste. The coffee beans feed my caffeine monkey, and the China black tea smooths everything out. I still need a good hit of Assam, but that wll follow.

As I’ve said before, a strange fusion drink, hardly a regular or go-to for me, but always satisfying.

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is part of David’s tea fall collection 2010- it is a yummy mocha tasting tea! I am not a coffee drinker but I still really enjoyed this tea. I could see coffee drinkers would probably really enjoy this (it has coffee beans in it) I had received this as one of 3 free samples when I placed my order. I will be ordering more of this one!

Jaime

Okay, if you love tea, but can’t stand the taste of coffee, is it still drinkable? I can’t stand coffee and this tea scares me.

Kristen

I do not drink coffee but found this tea good! It has coffee beans in it and you can taste it but it is not overpowering, I got more of a mocha taste. Did you get samples with your order? this was one of mine.

Jaime

I ordered the fall collection sampler, so I’ve got a pretty good amount of it. Just have to work up the guts to try it!

Paul M Tracy

I’m looking forward to trying this one. I was really happy with their Coffee Pu-erh.

This tea smells great. When you open the bag, there’s a heavy almond presence then roasted coffee. There are huge pieces of each mixed into the tea.

The tea brews to almost black. The initial fragrance was “burnt” and the first sip was extremely bitter. I almost threw the whole cup out. However, I let it sit a minute and it started to behave. None of the almond ever came through, but the coffee and chicory made this pretty bold. So bold, that you could never tell there was any tea in the cup.

As the cup sat, the bitterness returned so there’s a finite window in which this tea is enjoyable.

[Backlog] – Now as much as I love tea, I do enjoy a good cup of coffee. I thought that this tea would be delicious.. coffee & tea – two wonderful creations. Together? Not so tasty. I couldn’t drink more than a few sips of this. It was WAY too bitter and quite frankly, it was a bit gross. For now, I think I’ll keep my tea and coffee in separate cups!

This tea DOES smell great. I’m not a coffee drinker but I received a sample of this tea and THOUGHT I really liked it for those first two cups. I was surpirsed at how tasty and lacking in bitterness it was.

Being a limited-edition tea, I thought I should buy 100g of it. After I received that, I wondered what I had been thinking. I’ve only tried it two or three times since, and it’s not awful but it doesn’t do much for me. It can get kind of bitter and I can’t remember what I liked about it.

I’m thinking the difference could be that with the sample I was using milk as I was at my parents’, and since I have been putting almond milk in it. Perhaps I will get some real milk and try it again.

I have been craving coffee all week, and this tea was amazing. It smells just like coffee and tastes like black tea. I was so excited to >sort of< be drinking coffee that I added creamer and Splenda to it – and it was delicious. It has more caffeine than I normally have in the green and oolong teas that I drink.

This tea smells fantastic, but I’m not a huge fan of the flavour. I’m not a huge coffee drinker, but would prefer a cup of coffee over this tea, which is disappointing.

Edit: I tried this tea again with some milk added and it made it taste much better!

Got my DT Halloween mug today, yay! And this tea, which I was curious about. It smells a lot more amaretto-y than I was expecting, with dark coffee aromas mingling in the background (I assume chicory is there as well), and brewed up, it also tastes a bit on the amaretto side. Thankfully it’s not overly strong, though. The base ends up being quite strong (although whether that’s from the accidental 11 minute infusion, or a characteristic of the tea, it’s hard to be sure), and tastes more like a blend of coffee/chicory than any tea, despite there being a fair amount of tea in there.

Overall, pretty neutral on this one. I’m sure I’ll get through the bag, but it would have been a tea I’d have been happy merely sampling.

1979 tasting notes

I picked up the Back from the Dead pack when I was in DAVIDs yesterday and have decided to try all the teas to see if there are any I want to pick up in larger quantities online. Of the three, this is the only one I have not had previously so I was excited to test it out. Plus, it smells really quite delicious.

Alas, I have fallen victim to the coffee again because when I tried this right after brewing, I found the hot cup to be far too bitter from the coffee beans. I couldn’t taste anything else but the bean so I decided a splash of milk might balance things out. At first, it didn’t really help but after the cup cooled for a bit, the other flavors emerged. Sipping on the tea now, coffee is still the strongest element but there is also chocolate notes and a nice earthiness from the almond. No orange to be found but that doesn’t bother me too much. All in all, I can see why people might like this but it is just not for me.

I just got an email from DT yesterday about their Halloween release, and since I was on my way downtown, I popped in and picked up the “back from the dead” collection, which included this tea. I’ve been on a total coffee bender in the past few days, so it seemed like a sign that this appeared yesterday.

I brewed up a cup this morning, and it’s lovely! The dry leaf smells magnificent and nutty and sweet, and the brew smells just like you’d expect a café mocha to smell. I tasted it black, and got a bit of an orange flavour, which is odd since there’s no citrus in this. Added some milk, and hey, there’s the almond! There is definitely a nice taste of coffee and that almond, and deeper in the cup I’m finding chicory comes out to play (I can’t add this as a flavour, but it’s there!). I really like it! I’m tempted to go get some for my stash (the sampler pack is only 25g), since I think this would make a great winter tea when I’m not in the mood for spice or fruit, but want a little extra in my tea. Or when I can’t choose between tea and coffee.

I didn’t get any bitterness in my cup, which a lot of people seem to dislike about this tea, but I also drink black coffee, so your mileage may vary.

Flavors: Almond, Coffee, Orange, Tea