Saigon Chai (organic)

Black Chai Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Indian Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Pink Peppercorn
Cinnamon, Peppercorn, Cardamon, Pepper, Ginger, Spicy, Cloves
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I know I go through this all the time, but I have found the Saigon Chai sweet spot! I had another 50 g tucked away somewhere and brewed a cup today. Only 2 or 3 minutes to steep and I shook out the...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 704 tasting notes
  • “This tea had an ‘accident’ this morning and ended up down the drain. The flavoring brings it over the top to that sickly sweet candy place. I infinitely prefer chai that...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1835 tasting notes
  • “Tea 7 in my chai quest. I was expecting this to be cinnamon heavy. I think Davids usually are. This one isn’t really that bad, it’s peppery and spicy – but not really as...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 829 tasting notes
  • “This is one I’ve been wanting to try, so I grabbed it on my recent order. It’s a decent chai, although not my favorite. It does remind me of fall, as most good chais do. And...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s back!

In the 1950s, Saigon cinnamon was one of the finest spices on the market. But then came the Vietnam War, and exports ground to a halt. Half a century later, it’s finally comeback time. Prepare for dark, sweet perfection. This blend of Assam tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pink peppercorns is on another level of delicious. Try it iced, Viet-style, with sweetened condensed milk. (MK Kosher)

Organic: Fair Trade Certified Assam black tea, Saigon cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

To say I’m a fan of chai is to say that Picasso was just an okay painter. So when I say this is the best I’ve ever had, it’s an impressive feat. The wonderfully potent aroma fills the room in a way only beaten by the flavour hits the palate like a freight train (of tea awesomeness). A wonderfully strong chai with a very noticeable cinnamon. Avoid oversteeping though, it will become too bitter after about 6 minutes.

Highly recommended!

This tea smells spicy and sweet. Still not sure if I really am a fan of chai teas, but this is still tasty.
The cinnamon really comes through whether it’s dry or steeped. That with the other spices gives it a bit of warmth, so it’s definitely a good drink for cold nights. And it’s one of those teas that look pretty, with the red peppercorns and bits of cinnamon and clove.
I put a little honey and milk in mine and let it steep for about 5 minutes, but I think it would be even better in a latte (or iced with sweetened condensed milk like they suggest ;)

I got a cup of this Saigon chai at the David’s Tea store to try it. I didn’t have them add any sweetener to this (just soy milk). It definitely seemed quite cinnamon-y and pepper-y. David’s Tea seems to very fond of both cinnamon and pepper. This seemed kind of weak to me, it could have used more black tea IMO. Maybe the staff made this a little bit weak, it’s hard to tell. When I tossed my teabag out I thought it seemed kind of small for the cup size. Anyway this was okay, but I didn’t love it.

CrowKettle

I had the same problem with this one and a lot of David’s spice teas- always the cinnamon and the peppercorns!

TeaBrat

they definitely like that combo, don’t they?

Anlina

This might be my least favourite chai ever.

Amariel

I don’t mind the cinnamon and peppercorns in this tea, as it features Saigon Cinnamon, but I agree with you that there seem to be more and more blends with those two ingredients.

Tried this again today. Steeped for only two minutes based on what some other reviews have said. Still really not feeling this. It’s nice, but I like my other chais more and would rarely pick this over them. The cinnamon in it is nice though, I’ll give it that!

All in all, it isn’t bad, it’s just not for me.

i bought this because i’m a sucker for something with peppercorns and i liked that this was just an interesting chai. tastes better with a longer steep (4 mins at 205* for this batch but i’ll do it for 5 minutes next time and it’s possible even longer will be better). delicious with milk and sugar!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Peppercorn

I thought this was going to be awesome, but it’s pretty weak and nondescript. I get a bit of cinnamon, cardamom and pepper, and a note that reminds me of really cheap black tea bags, but it all around just tastes kind of flat.

Maybe different steeping parameters would make this better. Milk and sugar helped a tiny bit, but for now, this is bleh and every other chai I have in my cupboard is better.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Pepper

So when I got David’s Chai Collection this was the first of the trio that I tested out. After making a few pots full and drinking them down, I went ahead and got a full tin of the stuff. I couldn’t even wait for the sample I had to run out, I just needed to have plenty of it on hand immediately. It’s that good.

Things I love in my chai: spice, heat, comfort. This chai definitely meets those marks. Steeped in warm milk, water, and just a touch of raw sugar, it’s got lovely flavor while tasting a bit lighter and less decadent than chai usually does to me when prepared stovetop-style. (Once I tried chai that way, back when I was still just discovering tea beyond cheap bags, I just couldn’t go back to steeping it in plain water and then adding whatever else – the most time/effort-crunch compromise I’ll make is quick-heating the milk and water, combining them & the sugar, and then steeping the tea in the mixture.)

Overall it’s not the best in the world, but it’s pretty perfect as an everyday blend for me – and as a humble but delicious addition to my daily life rather than a special occasion type of tea, I adore it entirely. If you want a lighter chai that still has quite a bit of spice, you can’t go wrong with this one.

I made a trip into David’s yesterday and this was one of the teas I bought. I only got 20 grams, just to be on the safe side. I’m trying to experiment with chais and figure out which kind I like the best.

Anyway, my first cup was… well, awful. I brewed it for too long… 5 minutes. I was going based on the directions on the package.

This morning I re-steeped for only 3 minutes, and it tasted just fine! It has a nice flavour! I’m not sure if it’s the type of chai I would buy again… I like more of a cinnamon spice, this chai really has more of a gingery taste to me.

But it definitely is a nice tasting tea, and I’ll thoroughly enjoy the few cups I’ll get out of it.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Ginger, Spicy

Love chai. Not this one. Tried it with and without milk, cold and hot and it is just super bland. Maybe if someone doesn’t like spicy chai it would be good?

1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

Needed some black tea to wake me up this morning, and this seemed like a good candidate since it’s approaching sipdown territory.

This is a really round, bold tea. I think that the strongest flavours are of ginger and cinnamon, with the ginger winning out. I tried it unsweetened first. Then I added some agave nectar, and that really helped balance the flavours and make this an enjoyable, sippable cup. A nice morning boost. Not sure if I’d want to restock it, but I do like the spice balance here.

Thanks again to Aimee Popovacki for a sample!