Saigon Chai (organic)

Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Cloves, Peppercorn
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I know I go through this all the time, but I have found the Saigon Chai sweet spot! I had another 50 g tucked away somewhere and brewed a cup today. Only 2 or 3 minutes to steep and I shook out the...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 674 tasting notes
  • “This tea had an 'accident' this morning and ended up down the drain. The flavoring brings it over the top to that sickly sweet candy place. I infinitely prefer chai that relies on the spices...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1162 tasting notes
  • “Tea 7 in my chai quest. I was expecting this to be cinnamon heavy. I think Davids usually are. This one isn't really that bad, it's peppery and spicy - but not really as "chai" as I would like...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 578 tasting notes
  • “This is one I've been wanting to try, so I grabbed it on my recent order. It's a decent chai, although not my favorite. It does remind me of fall, as most good chais do. And it's very...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s back!

In the 1950s, Saigon cinnamon was one of the finest spices on the market. But then came the Vietnam War, and exports ground to a halt. Half a century later, it’s finally comeback time. Prepare for dark, sweet perfection. This blend of Assam tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pink peppercorns is on another level of delicious. Try it iced, Viet-style, with sweetened condensed milk. (MK Kosher)

Organic: Fair Trade Certified Assam black tea, Saigon cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

To say I’m a fan of chai is to say that Picasso was just an okay painter. So when I say this is the best I’ve ever had, it’s an impressive feat. The wonderfully potent aroma fills the room in a way only beaten by the flavour hits the palate like a freight train (of tea awesomeness). A wonderfully strong chai with a very noticeable cinnamon. Avoid oversteeping though, it will become too bitter after about 6 minutes.

Highly recommended!

This tea smells spicy and sweet. Still not sure if I really am a fan of chai teas, but this is still tasty.
The cinnamon really comes through whether it’s dry or steeped. That with the other spices gives it a bit of warmth, so it’s definitely a good drink for cold nights. And it’s one of those teas that look pretty, with the red peppercorns and bits of cinnamon and clove.
I put a little honey and milk in mine and let it steep for about 5 minutes, but I think it would be even better in a latte (or iced with sweetened condensed milk like they suggest ;)

Needed some black tea to wake me up this morning, and this seemed like a good candidate since it’s approaching sipdown territory.

This is a really round, bold tea. I think that the strongest flavours are of ginger and cinnamon, with the ginger winning out. I tried it unsweetened first. Then I added some agave nectar, and that really helped balance the flavours and make this an enjoyable, sippable cup. A nice morning boost. Not sure if I’d want to restock it, but I do like the spice balance here.

Thanks again to Aimee Popovacki for a sample!

One of the three teas in the “chai” pack that my boyfriend’s mom bought me for Christmas :D This was one of very few DTs I hadn’t yet tried, so I wasn’t too unhappy to get some of it, haha (tryalltheteas!)

The aroma was pretty good, and from what I could tell, the flavour was ok as well, with the “correct” chai flavouring for me – big on cardamom, light on cinnamon. Unfortunately, though, I ended up over sweetening it with honey – not only was it just too sweet, but I forgot that honey is a pretty distinctive flavour. Hence, it tasted more like honey-milk with a hint of chai. I’ll go for maple syrup next time, which fits with chais better, IMO. Still perfectly enjoyable and drinkable though!

Hello.Kiki

I have never thought to try maple syrup in a chai tea before! This is why I love Steepster- oh the possibilities! Lol

Nothing like drinking Saigon Chai on a cold (-40C/-40F) winter day to warm up. I am able to detect the different spices of Saigon cinnamon and cardamom the most, followed by the ginger and cloves. I think I will need to crush the pink peppercorns to detect more of their flavour.

I find that on it’s own, the tea can be bitter if over steeped, but with a bit of soy milk and some honey or agave nectar, this tea shines. On the 2nd steeping, the tea has mellowed a bit more that I can have it without soy milk and only with honey/agave.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Peppercorn

Again, I’m not normally a chai drinker, but I tried this one on a whim today… and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! I think the addition of the peppercorns and the specific type of cinnamon gave this one a different flavour than what I was expecting.

Note: I usually am a fan of the floral/fruity teas, and am a verifiable tea noob. So take my reviews with a grain of salt (or a slice of lemon)
This is my first DavidsTea chai.
This tea is spicy and savoury, almost to the point where it seems like soup to me. There is no strong black tea note that I can discern.
Will not repurchase

This is by far my favourite chai, the little bit of extra cinnamon taste and the slight spicy tones in it really make all the difference. I love pairing this with some hummus and crackers.

Saigon Chai is very good, however it does not have that intense chai flavor that I was hoping for. This makes it have a kind if “empty taste.” The lady in the store told me that this is Oprah Winfrey’s favorite tea!

This is a delightful Chai. I like the smell of it more than the taste, but the taste is very balanced. It is not too sweet or spicy. Some Chai blends have a Big Red taste, but this one is nice. It holds up well to long infusions, which means I can put it in my thermos and drink it all day.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more