Saigon Chai (organic)

Black Chai Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Indian Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Pink Peppercorn
Cardamon, Cinnamon, Pepper, Ginger, Spicy, Cloves, Peppercorn
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I know I go through this all the time, but I have found the Saigon Chai sweet spot! I had another 50 g tucked away somewhere and brewed a cup today. Only 2 or 3 minutes to steep and I shook out the...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “This tea had an 'accident' this morning and ended up down the drain. The flavoring brings it over the top to that sickly sweet candy place. I infinitely prefer chai that relies on the spices...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1569 tasting notes
  • “Tea 7 in my chai quest. I was expecting this to be cinnamon heavy. I think Davids usually are. This one isn't really that bad, it's peppery and spicy - but not really as "chai" as I would like...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 740 tasting notes
  • “This is one I've been wanting to try, so I grabbed it on my recent order. It's a decent chai, although not my favorite. It does remind me of fall, as most good chais do. And it's very...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s back!

In the 1950s, Saigon cinnamon was one of the finest spices on the market. But then came the Vietnam War, and exports ground to a halt. Half a century later, it’s finally comeback time. Prepare for dark, sweet perfection. This blend of Assam tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pink peppercorns is on another level of delicious. Try it iced, Viet-style, with sweetened condensed milk. (MK Kosher)

Organic: Fair Trade Certified Assam black tea, Saigon cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

To say I’m a fan of chai is to say that Picasso was just an okay painter. So when I say this is the best I’ve ever had, it’s an impressive feat. The wonderfully potent aroma fills the room in a way only beaten by the flavour hits the palate like a freight train (of tea awesomeness). A wonderfully strong chai with a very noticeable cinnamon. Avoid oversteeping though, it will become too bitter after about 6 minutes.

Highly recommended!

This tea smells spicy and sweet. Still not sure if I really am a fan of chai teas, but this is still tasty.
The cinnamon really comes through whether it’s dry or steeped. That with the other spices gives it a bit of warmth, so it’s definitely a good drink for cold nights. And it’s one of those teas that look pretty, with the red peppercorns and bits of cinnamon and clove.
I put a little honey and milk in mine and let it steep for about 5 minutes, but I think it would be even better in a latte (or iced with sweetened condensed milk like they suggest ;)

I thought this was going to be awesome, but it’s pretty weak and nondescript. I get a bit of cinnamon, cardamom and pepper, and a note that reminds me of really cheap black tea bags, but it all around just tastes kind of flat.

Maybe different steeping parameters would make this better. Milk and sugar helped a tiny bit, but for now, this is bleh and every other chai I have in my cupboard is better.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Pepper

So when I got David’s Chai Collection this was the first of the trio that I tested out. After making a few pots full and drinking them down, I went ahead and got a full tin of the stuff. I couldn’t even wait for the sample I had to run out, I just needed to have plenty of it on hand immediately. It’s that good.

Things I love in my chai: spice, heat, comfort. This chai definitely meets those marks. Steeped in warm milk, water, and just a touch of raw sugar, it’s got lovely flavor while tasting a bit lighter and less decadent than chai usually does to me when prepared stovetop-style. (Once I tried chai that way, back when I was still just discovering tea beyond cheap bags, I just couldn’t go back to steeping it in plain water and then adding whatever else – the most time/effort-crunch compromise I’ll make is quick-heating the milk and water, combining them & the sugar, and then steeping the tea in the mixture.)

Overall it’s not the best in the world, but it’s pretty perfect as an everyday blend for me – and as a humble but delicious addition to my daily life rather than a special occasion type of tea, I adore it entirely. If you want a lighter chai that still has quite a bit of spice, you can’t go wrong with this one.

I made a trip into David’s yesterday and this was one of the teas I bought. I only got 20 grams, just to be on the safe side. I’m trying to experiment with chais and figure out which kind I like the best.

Anyway, my first cup was… well, awful. I brewed it for too long… 5 minutes. I was going based on the directions on the package.

This morning I re-steeped for only 3 minutes, and it tasted just fine! It has a nice flavour! I’m not sure if it’s the type of chai I would buy again… I like more of a cinnamon spice, this chai really has more of a gingery taste to me.

But it definitely is a nice tasting tea, and I’ll thoroughly enjoy the few cups I’ll get out of it.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Ginger, Spicy

Love chai. Not this one. Tried it with and without milk, cold and hot and it is just super bland. Maybe if someone doesn’t like spicy chai it would be good?

1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

Needed some black tea to wake me up this morning, and this seemed like a good candidate since it’s approaching sipdown territory.

This is a really round, bold tea. I think that the strongest flavours are of ginger and cinnamon, with the ginger winning out. I tried it unsweetened first. Then I added some agave nectar, and that really helped balance the flavours and make this an enjoyable, sippable cup. A nice morning boost. Not sure if I’d want to restock it, but I do like the spice balance here.

Thanks again to Aimee Popovacki for a sample!

Morning proTEAn latte with vanilla Promasil. Noms. Getting a very drying sensation in my mouth though, and I’m pretty sure it’s the tea, not the protein powder. Not my favourite chai, but it will do. (I actually don’t think I would drink this chai without some sort of sweetening, as I just don’t like it otherwise.)

Fjellrev

Nice idea! I’ve been meaning to mix my protein powder with cold brew. Hmm.

Kittenna

My trainer has some “birthday cake” flavoured protein powder and apparently it also makes great lattes. I had a Salted Caramel one a while ago and it was delicious. I feel like other latte + sweetening friendly teas would also work great. (I want to try this with my better chai, from Tea Desire, that I had half a kg and much preferred the flavour of.)

Fjellrev

I can see it being really good since a lot of people on My Fitness Pal like to put protein powder in their coffee. How much do you put ratio-wise? Like a couple tablespoons per cup of tea?

Kittenna

I put a half scoop in my DT Halloween mug (so, 12 oz. tea?). I’d try it to taste – too little and it’s oddly weak, too much and your tea will taste like protein powder (mine has a strong flavour, so I don’t want too much).

Kittenna

And, I believe a half scoop is around 1 tbsp.

Fjellrev

Ah yeah, that would make sense. I think one scoop on mine = ~30g.

Kittenna

I think that’s what mine is too. Seems fairly standard (I guess? I’m relatively new to this whole protein powder thing!)

Nothing like drinking Saigon Chai on a cold (-40C/-40F) winter day to warm up. I am able to detect the different spices of Saigon cinnamon and cardamom the most, followed by the ginger and cloves. I think I will need to crush the pink peppercorns to detect more of their flavour.

I find that on it’s own, the tea can be bitter if over steeped, but with a bit of soy milk and some honey or agave nectar, this tea shines. On the 2nd steeping, the tea has mellowed a bit more that I can have it without soy milk and only with honey/agave.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Peppercorn

Again, I’m not normally a chai drinker, but I tried this one on a whim today… and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! I think the addition of the peppercorns and the specific type of cinnamon gave this one a different flavour than what I was expecting.