Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Cinnamon, Spices, Creamy, Dark Chocolate, Cocoa, Spicy, Vanilla, Red Fruits, Cream, Fruity, Bell Pepper
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 354 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That’s the aroma I am getting Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn’t quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I’m...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 705 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I’d spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this:...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1766 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was another one I bought to try to see if it would make the shelf. Oh my deliciousness. Upon opening the bag it had a strong chocolate smell and almost no chili/pepper smell which was good because Mango Diablo was too spicy for me. This tea is absolutely fabulous though I do think I’ll only keep it stocked for cold weather, I can’t see this being a good summer tea. I love the tiny bit of warmth at the end of the sip, lovely for this bitter weather.

The first year David’s introduced this tea as part of their winter collection I was hooked. I’m a huge fan of spicy chocolate and this tea didn’t disappoint. I can’t drink this tea cold or in warm weather, but it makes dreary fall days and frigid winter days much more enjoyable!

I usually add milk or turn it into a latte, but I don’t add sweetener. It is one of my favourites, and I felt relief and joy when David’s made this permanent.

Flavors: Chocolate, Peppercorn

I picked out this tea today, thinking it was one of the holiday flavors, but I think this is a staple at Davids Tea. No regrets! The chocolate and black tea together make for a rich, coffee-like flavor, coupled with the cinnamon-spice flavors of a chai tea. The peppers are definitely more low-key, even when I oversteeped this, almost undetectable in the scent of the dry leaf, and very mild in the brew itself. I like the idea of this blend and it is an enjoyable brew, but I’m someone that likes my tea with a lot of spice, so I think Davids could kick it up a notch next time.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Spices, Spicy, Vanilla

This was my first experience buying from a David’s Tea store, and let me tell you, it threw me for a loop.
I walked into the franchise at my local mall, hoping to pick up a good cup before my two hour Political Science lecture. Firstly, I was overwhelmed by the massive selection, and it took me a minute to even start reading the labels. Fortunately, the salesgirls were patient and happily serving another customer before me.
I settled on Chocolate Chili Chai as soon as I saw it. Chocolate, spice, chai, what could go wrong?
I ordered the cup, and wait a couple minutes for it to steep (and cool!) before taking my first sip where I was shocked. Where was the spice? I was definitely not expecting it to be more chocolatey than spicy.
After calming down and coming to terms with the drink, I did enjoy it, because who doesn’t love chocolate? I found some chili hints at the last of my sips, but would have enjoyed a more thorough flavour
I now know to do my research before ordering and I’m incredibly happy that I found this site, all the users are so insightful…now I just have to pick up on the lingo.
tl;dr This is a good tea, but the name is misleading.

Flavors: Chocolate

I had this one as a take-away made in store, and was very happy with it! It smells so good, exactly like chocolate, and tasted like a hot chocolate milk with a mild hint of the chill peppers. It does not taste strongly of chai, but it was still a nice blend. I left the tea bag in and the longer it steeped the more prominent the chill taste became. I definitely want to buy some loose leaf to make at home, and also want to try it as a latte – I think it would taste like hot chocolate!

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Hello again, my magnificent friend! Tuesday morning dawned wet and dreary after a long night of thunderstorms, and I had to be at work early, and there was no time for tea/coffee/energy drink/whatever before leaving the house. Chocolate Chilli Chai has the oomph to make up for it! I steeped a little longer this morning to get more bang out of the peppercorns and chillis. Definitely did the trick! I love this tea _

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I think I’ve decided I just don’t like chocolate tea anymore. When I first tried this tea in 2012 I LOVED it. I thought the amount of heat from the chilies was perfect and the chocolate balanced out the spice so it wasn’t too overpowering. Of course, when they brought the tea back last winter I immediately went out and bought 100 grams (big mistake on my part). I keep going back, thinking I’m going to like it again, but it’s just meh to me now. I’ll finish the rest of my tin, but I definitely learned my lesson to be weary when DavidsTea re-introduces a tea and not buy a ton without tasting it again.

3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Jen M

I learned that the hard way with Mom’s Apple Pie, too. Bought a ton, found out it was changed the hard way, and struggled to finish it. Bah. yuck.

emmy

I didn’t care for Mom’s Apple Pie either, then again, I never had it the first time around! I hate when they change the ingredients in a tea :(

To be honest, I was really disappointed with this tea and I love all chocolate teas. I was quite hesitant when first purchasing it because I am not a fan of chai teas at all. But nevertheless, I took a leap of faith and purchased it because of the overwhelming smell of chocolate and it smelled amazing. So I took it home and made it, and was surprised that I didn’t taste the spice from the chili peppers or peppercorns. Overall, it was an okay chocolate tea.

Sample sipdown!

For breakfast this morning, I had leftovers from last night’s dinner – a spicy soup made with chicken, corn, beans, peppers, cilantro, and some chipotle.

I figured that this chai blend would be a fitting accompaniment, considering the chili peppers. I thought that the spices would match.

However, I didn’t get much spice from the tea at all, and instead got a whole lot more chocolate. This wasn’t a bad thing so far as it went, but my tastes are gradually moving away from David’s Tea, so I don’t like their chocolate teas as much as I used to.

Still, this wasn’t a bad way to start off the morning. And I need the sipdowns!

I decided to try my sample of this tonight. This tea confuses me. It is so close to a hot chocolate I had to double and triple check inside my cup to see if it actually was. Is this tea? Hot chocolate? mmm But it isn’t a good hot chocolate flavour to me. It tastes a bit artificial and too sweet for my taste. I like the heat sensation I get in the back of my throat after each sip. I do not get enough Chai spice taste for my liking. Overall a good substitute for hot chocolate. I will need to try this tea again.

MissLena

Yay you’re back on steepster logging notes!:D

charchar

Haha yes I am but still may be on and off till we are moved. 19 more days!!!!!!!!!! Then I will be back for good :)