Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Spices, Spicy, Vanilla, Red Fruits, Cream, Fruity
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 351 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I was expecting more of a kick from this tea, but it’s a surprisingly mild-mannered chai, despite the visual presence of peppercorns and chili pieces. It is a bit thin-tasting, but not unpleasantly so. All in all, it’s more like a cocoa with a pepper taste to it, but I wouldn’t call it spicy. It’s not bad, just that I prefer other chocolate chai blends.

I don’t understand the hoopla about this tea. It smells divine, but I thought it was a bit bland and bitter. Maybe I have to experiment with steeping times. Could not detect the chilis at all.

Not bad for black tea, reminds me of an apple spice kind of taste, appropriate for winter, the cinnamon is a good addition to the tea

The smell of this tea is wonderful! I was underwhelmed with the flavour until I added a splash of light Vanilla soy milk and I found that brought out the flavours and made it nice and smooth.

Hmmm this tea was full of promises but unfortunately, its taste isn’t strong enough. It’s not bad though but it’s better with milk and fireball whiskey.

It doesn’t have a very strong flavor, but I still like it on a cold, snowy day. I’m on my second tin of it now. I’ve found that using two teaspoons and steeping for about 5-6 minutes is ideal. Second steepings are too weak and a waste of time for this one. Very good with a pinch of sugar and a splash of milk. It’s not as spicy as I usually like. I’ve thought of adding a pinch of cayenne to it. I like super spicy stuff!

I’m glad that the peppercorns and spicier ingredients are mellow. This is definetely chocolate-y tasting, and while I do like chocolate, I think chocolate teas aren’t my thing. However, for those people who like that sort of thing, I definately reccomend this tea for you.

Yum. I dig the way this tastes like chocolate, but feels like chilli, if you know what I mean. The chillies in this are very warming and you can feel it in your throat. Probably not very enjoyable if you’re not a fan of spicy foods on the whole. Also, this is strictly a wintertime tea for me, and I want nothing to do with it in Summer. I’d still rank it up there as one of my favourites, though.

My first tasting note… I was introduced to this obsession, er.. loose leaf tea on Christmas day when my husband bought me my first steeper. Something changed in me that day I went from being a coffee drinker to being a tea drinker. I have 15 different teas in my cupboard and it has only been 4 weeks. Okay, so lets start with this tea. I love the smell, it is peppery and chocolatey. It is my favorite thus far. I love the heat you get when you take a sip. The first thing you taste is the chocolate and then bam, you get the heat. It is a perfect tea for the cold Canadian winters.

Since it’s finally snowed in my area for the first time this winter I felt there was to be no better opportunity than to bust out this Chai, which I received as a sampler packet in my latest order from DAVIDs.

Upon opening the packet I was greeted with a highly pleasurable chocolate smell, with a small hint of the red chilis. This carries over to the finished steeped product, where the chocolate remains the most upfront characteristic. As the sip finishes you can detect the chilis and black tea trailing after the chocolate, but the chili flavor is very subtle and does not bring a ton of heat as many fans of the Scoville Scale might have been hoping for.

While not as spicy as other Chais it is most delicious and a warming alternative to hot chocolate on bitterly cold days. May try brewing directly in carefully prepared milk as I’ve done with some other Chais to see what, if anything, it does for the flavor.