Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Spices, Spicy, Vanilla, Red Fruits, Cream, Fruity
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 351 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m not a huge Chai fan but this one is great. It does have a spicy kick, and smells chocolate-y. It can be quite strong but no bad aftertaste if you choose to brew it longer.

Nice tea with a bit of a kick. Wish the chocolate flavour was stronger.

Man, I really wanted this one to be a punch in the face … but all I got was a pinch of the cheeks.

I recently snagged a 100g tin of this for 50% off (one of the Christmas tins). Not a flavour I’d normally go for, but since it was on sale I decided to try it anyway!

It smells fantastic in the tin – super dark chocolate-y with a hint of spice. I have opened it up just to sniff a couple of times since buying it. Yum.

I wasn’t sure what to expect for taste, I figured it would be chocolate-y and quite spicy – not so much. I first tried making it as a latte – I really liked it this way, it tasted a lot like black tea but the milk really seemed to bring out the chocolate as well. Not very spicy at all – a bit of a tingle in the mouth but that was about it.

Tonight I made it again, this time steeped in water with a splash of milk before drinking. This way was fine, but much weaker, like drinking black tea with a hint of dark chocolate and not much spice at all. Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable enough, just not nearly as strong as I thought it would be (and I was pretty generous with my loose tea!).

I’m a bit confused about this one – it isn’t really what I thought it would be (and to be fair, I wasn’t totally sure what to expect in the first place), but I like it. I don’t think it is a tea I will be reaching for every day, but I know I will drink it again (in latte form at least!), most likely on a cold night or if I am craving chocolate.

Very weak flavor. I’ve tried it hot and cold and with cinnamon like the company recommend. Either way I just got a weird bland taste with a slight pepper after taste. Finally, I decided to mix it with some Adagio Chocolate Chip. It helped make the chocolate flavor stand out a little bit more, but besides the weird pepper after taste. I get none of the spiced that’s been promised. Definitely not David’s best.

Had a sample in-store today. Seemed kinda weak, so maybe they steeped it wrong. Didn’t strike me as “feisty” or anything special

Not really a fan.. maybe it’s the spice?

This one is good but very mild, I wish the flavour was stronger. Not really spicy, just a tiny hint of the chili – I was hoping for a bit more spice.

I’m not so sure how I felt about this tea, I received it as a gift for Christmas and it seems to have failed my expectations. I can’t describe how, but I expected it to be sweeter I guess. It’s somewhat tasty, but not. I’m just trying to finish the last couple cups from my bag, and I don’t plan repurchasing.

I’ve just finished my bag of this tea, and I was a little disappointed in it. I know it’s generally gotten and lot of love, and definitely a lot of hype. That probably has something to do with my disappointment. It just set the expectation a bit too high I suppose.

It’s not that there’s anything specifically wrong with it, so I can’t give it a failing grade. The chocolate comes through just fine, and the chili flavour does (provided you let it steep long enough). Once, in an effort to get a bit more chili kick I added a few dried chili flakes to the mix. Let’s just say I never did that again. In all seriousness though, I think the main thing I found a bit lacking was the chai itself. It just seemed a bit weak to me, and as much as I drank it I always found it to be a bit wanting.

Would I recommend it? Maybe. Would I get it again? Probably not.

Final verdict. Good but not great. If you’re going for the comfort drink a nice thick hot chocolate might be a better bet.