Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Red Fruits, Spices, Cream, Fruity, Spicy
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 697 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Another tea from the Traveling Tea Box! I am trying this on behalf of my future son-in-law. He loves chocolate tea and he loves hot peppers, so I wanted to see if this is a “must have” for him. I am a wimp when it comes to hot peppers, but I read a lot of reviews that said this is only mildly spicy.

It smells good. The first tentative sips surprised me. This really is very mild. Everything is mild. The level of chocolate flavor, the tea base, the chai spices, and the chilis. The aroma is rather intriguing and is the best part of this tea. I guess I am picking up the chai spices over the top of the mild chocolate.

Since I drink my tea sans additions, I can’t say this one wins my heart. It is a decent tea but not one I would seek out, but I suspect since Gav adds milk and sugar to some of his teas he might really enjoy it that way. It would give it that “little extra something” that would make it a great cup of comfort on a cold winter day.

Kittenna

Has your future son-in-law tried 52teas’ Mayan Chocolate Chai?

ashmanra

No, he lives in Ireland and bemoans the dearth of good loose leaf tea! He is moving here soon to marry my daughter. I plan to keep their kitchen stocked with “the good stuff” now that there is a family member who loves tea almost as much as I do. Is that a good one?

KeenTeaThyme

Mango Diablo by David’s Tea is pretty good. Not sure if it’s still available, but I have some if you want to try it. It’s got a lot of kick – I love spicy so I love it! :)

Kittenna

If he likes cayenne and chais, IMO it’s pretty awesome. A bit of lapsang souchong too, so not for the faint of heart, but I really like it. It’s probably my favourite chai.

I used 1.5 David’s Tea scoops for my Aqua-Ovo tea tumbler.

The smell of the dry leaf really reminds me of “Love Tea #7” by David’s Tea.

The aroma of the brewed tea is primarily a light chocolate with definite black tea undertones.

On the sip I am getting a full chocolately taste. I am getting a bit of a vegetable-earthy taste- kind of like taking a bite out of a red pepper. I’m guessing that this is the result of the different types of chili included in the blend. I don’t feel that the earthy taste really complements this mix, especially with such a strong chocolate taste. The black tea taste is mostly present at the end of the sip and rounds out the chocolate/earthy flavour. There is a little bit of spice present on the beginning of the sip and in the aftertaste (kind of a tingly feeling on my tongue).

This tea was good all the way through even as it cooled to room temperature.

Like many people who reviewed this tea as well, I also thought I’d be hit in the face with chili…seems much the opposite is true. This tastes more like just a chocolate tea. I’m getting a very very slight chili taste, but nothing spectacular…that’s not to say it’s not a good tea. I like it. It doesn’t quite live up to it’s name, but I’ll drink it when I feel like chocolate.

When I’m looking for a serious chocolate fix though, I’d probably pick another tea first.

Meliboum

Totally agree with you !

This morning served as a good reminder to always look outside before deciding what footwear to walk to work in. I’ve gotten in the habit of checking the temperature with my weather app (a balmy -3C today) but totally forgot to check how much snow had fallen… So there I was all ready to head out; I opened the door took one step outside and went “Wait a minute!” (We’ve probably gotten about a foot of new snow in the last 24 hrs.) Turned around and headed right back inside and started looking for my socks; high boots today it is! (I wear Vibram’s Lontra “shoe” when it’s not super cold out, or when I don’t have to plow through high snow drifts.)

Now for the tea! After a weekend filled with cinnamon and cloves (gotta love homemade apple cider!) I wanted something a bit different today so I reached for my small bag of Chocolate Chili Chai. The heat is still really subtle (see my previous note) but enjoyably tingly. I had a hard time finding the chocolate though today… not sure why. Oh well, it gave me a chance to enjoy the black tea base a bit more; to be honest it’s nothing to write home about but still a decent black tea.

Tuscanteal

You and I drank the same tea, probably around the same time

Kirlika

:) Probably.

And I agree with your statement about how DT should take out the word Chai in the name… it really isn’t a chai (IMO)

Tuscanteal

What about it is not appealing to you?

Kirlika

Most of the chocolate tea’s I’m familiar with have other flavors along side them, so it really depends on your tastes. Sticking with the DT theme; Love tea #7, Read my lips and Chocolate Orange are all ones I enjoy.

You could also check out the cacao teas from Herbal Infusions or Cruio Bru. Both are variants on roasted cocoa beans that are then ground and steeped and are really quite nice.

Now that I think about it actually a whole list of chocolate tea recommendations from various vendors in this recent discussion thread http://steepster.com/discuss/6541-help-a-newbie-if-i-love-teavanas-white-chocolate-peppermint-ill-like

Tuscanteal

That could be it, it can come across as more hot chocolate like without the sweetness. I always put milk/cream and sugar in my more dessert teas to enhance them too.

A big thank you to Kittenna for this sample.
This one is just okay for me.
I do appreciate the nice light spice from the chilies mixed with chocolate and I think if the chocolate were a better flavor it would be darn good HOWEVER being the chocolate snob that I am I don’t care for this chocolate flavor used in this tea.
Its not too hot just so you know – it won’t cause you to break a sweat and the mixture is well balanced. My rating is only due to the use of the chocolate flavoring that is displeasing to me.

Oh yeahhhhh, this hits the spot :)
I remembered to add extra this time! and just for a change, some agave and milk. I think perhaps I was craving it because I missed out on spicy chocolate yesterday…
I’m getting quite a bit of astringency though, a little too much- a product of the extra leaves?? hmmm. Also, I’m definitely getting more of the roasted corn note here.

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this chai! I was excited to try it, but I see that it is no longer on the website. I guess it is a winter only chai.

This is really good. The chocolate is stronger than the chili taste, and I love that. The chili is zesty without being too hot. It does leave a chili pepper ZING in the aftertaste, along with a light throat burn, which is quite alright with me, because I’m loving it.

The black tea is not as notable a flavor, I can taste it, but, the chocolate and chili really do outshine the black tea. I don’t get a lot of other chai flavors here – as in cinnamon or ginger… I’m tasting mostly just chocolate and chili. It’s really good though.

The Purrfect Cup

That sounds really good!

Cofftea

How does this compare to Frank’s Mayan Chocolate Chai? Or Chili-Chocolate from TeaGschwender for that matter since they other chai elements are lighter?

My husband is finally home after a 5 day course for work and tonight is my last night at home for 5 days before I’m away looking after my parents dogs. The first thing he complained about was tea, apparently Birmingham tea is horrible, so this tea was chosen to welcome him back.

I can taste the chocolate which is definitely real chocolate, not cocoa but actual chocolate. As for the Chai aspect I can’t taste a large array of spices so that is a bit of a let down, past the peppercorn I can’t sense any other spices. There is a spot of chili but very mild, enough to cause the flavour but not enough to be spicy and tingle.

It’s of moderate strength with some sweetness and spice. It leaves a somewhat dry after taste. It’s missing the heat, I think it should have either had more chili or more chai spice rather than focusing so much on the chocolate element. So it’s a nice tea but also a disappointing one, not something I plan on trying again.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 7 g 20 OZ / 600 ML

Another one I removed from Momo’s teabox – thanks everyone! I accidently poured most of the sample into the brew basket (maybe two teaspoons)… but the flavor is pretty mild, so it wasn’t terrible. This blend seems like my ideal blend. Spicy chocolate chai! I was looking forward to it! But even with two teaspoons and a steep time of a few minutes, the flavor was mild. My favorite part was the milky sweet chocolate flavor, probably the chocolate chips. I don’t think I’ve had a chocolate David’s tea before but I like this one! Hardly any spice or heat – just chocolate! I decided to add the bit of the leaves that I didn’t accidently dump into the brew basket for the second steep, since the flavor was so mild and there was less than a teaspoon left. The second cup was nice too! I wouldn’t mind having this around for a chocolate tea with a mild base, but as a spicy chai it FAILS. I like what is here though…. just use LOTS of leaves!

Mmmmm, this one seems better this year than last. I feel more of the heat. It was a nice mix of chocolate and chili in the two cups I had today. I woke up very congested, and with a lot of pressure as a result, and a headache. This helped breathe some life back into me and got me to a point where I was able to go into work for a few hours in the evening instead of being at home all day.

I had almost opted for some Ginger Pu Erh for the sinus clearing and medicinal benefits of the ginger. But no, I wanted sinus clearing AND comfort. So I had the Chocolate Chili Chai…and I am SOOO glad I picked it up yesterday with more Alpine Punch (one can never have too much Alpine Punch).

So, today, even though I am in Canada, and we had our Thanksgiving last month, I was very thankful for this tea today!