Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Red Fruits, Spices, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 694 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Things that are not this tea’s fault:
1. I used a cheap infuser basket that left little pieces of leaf escape into my tea
2. I forget to set my timer, so I have no idea how long I steeped
3. I was impatient, so the water may have been a tad too cool

Things that are this tea’s fault:
1. The chili is a little milder than I’d like
2. It screams for creamer to get a real hot chocolate consistency, which makes me up my calorie intake (But oh-so-very worth it! Decadent!)
3. It makes me crave MOAR CHOCOLATE
4. It always makes me want another cup…or 12. And a chocolate bar…or 10.

This is wonderful, even if it is inappropriate for late May.
If that’s wrong, I don’t wanna be right!

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Good to know I’m not the only one who craves a chocolate bar after drinking chocolate tea! :-)

Oh my gosh…I am having a winter love affair with this tea. It’s like David knows what I am going to want to drink every season with his releases. I don’t reach for pumpkin chai as much anymore because it tastes like fall to me. And even though it is technically still fall, my taste buds are already in late December. Cue this tea:

It tastes like spicy, dark, hot chocolate. You have to steep it long enough or it will taste watery. It’s got a very bitter cocoa taste that I love because it isn’t overly fake tasting. It tastes like a really strong dark chocolate with spice. Yummmm. I am going to be having this everyday until spring.

Ooooh, apparently if you make it a latte that’s when the spiced notes come out! Normally all I get is a lovely dark chocolate flavour, but tonight I used this to make a latte with vanilla soy. The result is a delicious cup with a bit of a tingle and all sorts of flavour. Delicious!

Erin

How do you make a tea into a latte? I feel like I should know this, it sounds so good!

Tina S.

I brew the tea up double strength, then heat some milk and froth it with a cheap hand frother I have. Then blend, and top with foam if you choose.

Erin

Ah, that sounds pretty easy! I’ll see if I can find a cheap frother somewhere. Thanks!

More and more I fear I may just not be a chai fan. I gave this tea a second shot tonight and it is really just not a hit with me. I get a bit of dusty chocolate flavour and a lot of chili heat on my tongue, but it was just not great in my world. I think that his is really just not the tea for me. Which is actually fine, because so many of them are the tea for me!

Yvonne

Odd, I got no chili from this flavour and all chocolate.

mewakeling

I think I have a tiny bit of a sensitivity to chilies. That might be part of the issue.

Fjellrev

Dusty chocolate is perfect description, although I barely got any chili heat.

Nice chocolate tea, but that’s all I’m getting.
No chili, no chai, so IMHO this doesn’t deliver what’s promised.

ifjuly

I remember being disappointed with this one too.

This one still has so much promise, but it’s unchanged from last year for me. Really tasty, with the chocolate coming through and the chilies rounding it out really nicely. And it still smells absolutely phenomenal. But, still a little weak even with quite a lot of leaf. I have to agree with Michelle Butler Hallett in thinking an Indian black base would have solved this. I think that would have balanced this out so much better. I’m torn. So tasty, so weak! This re-visit has stimulated my interest enough to get me to play around with it a little more, at least.

Cattibrie

I really enjoyed this one last year and was dissapointed that it went away. Now that it is back I realize I still have half a tin left of it so maybe I don’t love it as much as I thought now that I have others I have tried. Still a good tea. Let me know if you figure out something great to make with it?

Jessie

I think I still have at least a bit left somewhere from last year, but tore into a new bag! Silly. I’ll let you know if I figure anything out. I do really enjoy it, but wish it was a little more flavourful.

Nurvilya

Add some cinnamon?

Jessie

Definitely worth a shot! I saw your note on this one and it definitely sounds tasty.

This is another sample buried deep in the cupboard, from winter 2012. Time to drink eight grams!

Mother thinks this is awful and tastes like watered down chocolate.. I don’t think the chalky chocolate is that bad. It’s boring but drinkable, and seems to take a lot of steeping abuse without getting bitter.

I wish it had more of a spicy kick to it, like the mildly terrifying, leathery hot Zhu Rong Yunnan from Verdant (maybe I’ve blown that one out of proportion). I don’t mind coasting on the weak chocolate and peppercorns, however. It’s more of a diluted creamy comfort thing, especially with milk, than a burn-flesh-for-fuel kind of beverage. Maybe some habeneros would be nice. Those are good peppers. I’d even settle for cayenne peppers.

Cavocorax

It’s really not spicy enough eh? I bought a bag for $2.50 and that’s it’s only saving grace: it was cheap. But with 7 oz of Read My Lips to deal with, I almost can’t be bothered with this one anymore…

CrowKettle

Yeah, as far as David’s chocolate teas go, I don’t feel this one stands out. I’d rather up my 100g of Read My Lips too, which has the same peppercorns, and mixes better with Baileys.

I have to say, I am enjoying this tea.

As previously stated by others, the flavour is a bit light, but I don’t mind. The chocolate flavour is equatable to Read My Lips, and in my opinion, that makes a very very good chocolate tea. I love the little chippies! Also, I’m going to make my own artisan chocolate chips one day, so this is inspiring me :3

Anywho, The first sip had a little chili kick to it., but after a few sips it was gone. I looooved this tea when it was hot, but as it cooled down the taste got less and less .. tasty! :( Granted, I will probably still buy a 100g tin of this because I have no tea that is like it. Mayan Chocolate Chai is totally different.. in fact.. I think i will mix the two one night !

:U
Amariel

I think this is the one I will enjoy the most, but we’ll see, once I get some.

Uniquity

I didn’t get this last year because I didn’t like chocolate tea then – But now? I neeed it!

Meg

This was my favourite last year! I plan on getting 100g in two weeks when I go to Halifax!

At the suggestion of one of the girls at my local David’s tea. I had this as a latte! Like ‘Read My Lips’ and other chocolate teas, I do prefer them with milk, anyway. This tea tasted just like Lindt’s dark chocolate with chili peppers: that dark chocolate bitterness and a bit of a bite from the peppers!

It reminds me of a really great cup of hot chocolate! This will certainly be a new indulgence for me.

Paul M Tracy

You really can’t beat a chocolate/chili combo.

Beckara

It’s the best! And the fact that it’s a tea? Extra good!

Michelle Butler Hallett

I started drooling when I read about this tea on the David’s site yesterday … now I’m convinced.

Beckara

It makes me weep with excellence.

Dry Leaf Nose: Very chocolatey, with tea notes and a hint of chili pepper.

Liquor: Toasty brown colour, with a rich chocolate note and chili background.

Flavour: A rich chocolate flavour with touch of chili that enriches the chocolate and leaves a lingering flavour on the palate. The black tea base adds a sweet, ripe and full bodied note to the cup.